Sign in to follow this  
climo

CRBA Interview Process

climo

I know this thread is kinda old...but was looking for some insight on how the CRBA interview process works. Let's say you have all the supporting documents and all goes well. Does the consulate officer give you the approval at the conclusion of the interview? Or is there more to the process like a second interview or waiting period before they decide whether your child gets approved. Also how long do these interviews usually last? I'm ready to get my twins CRBA and looking for ideas on what to expect.  

Paul

Split from this thread.

I split this from an existing thread, to give your post more "light". Fewer people tend to view older / dated threads.

enoonmai

My experience was in Cebu, I see you're in Manila. The approval (or not) decision is made by the Consular Officer at the embassy in Mania. There was no "interview"; I submitted all the documents, paid the fees at the consulate in Cebu and it was forwarded to Manila. It was at least a month before I was contacted by phone and told they needed additional documents so that was an additional delay. Perhaps the process is a little different if you go directly to the embassy, my experience was they went solely by the documents I furnished. Good luck.  

USMC-Retired

I do not think there is an interview in Manila either.  You turn your documents in during the appointment.  They check them for completeness.  Then they are forwarded to be reviewed for accuracy and if they will grant the CRBA or require additional documents / tests.  

• Like 1

cebubird

No "interview" for meeither-submitted documents/pics and Domingo "looked" at baby-that was it. Well, they did send us out to get different pictures as ones we brought weren't right size or something.

climo

Thanks for all the replies!! It seems the appt. or interview is only to check if all documents are submitted, then its reviewed in greater detail before any judgement is made. Either they will as for more documents, give approval or denial during this time. I have one more question about the definition of Legal Relationship and what is means to the CRBA. I will try to keep it short.

First I'm not married to the mother of my twins so they are illegitimate and i will need to provide form DS-5507 to fulfill this requirement.  

I was married to another a filipina (liezl) for 11 months starting in sept 2006 and it ended in august 2007. I filed for annulment in June 2008 at city hall where I was married. In august 2008 I met another filipina (kim) and began dating knowing my annulment was in process. Due to me still living in the states at the time the annulment dragged on since the court was unable to schedule a court appearance at the time of my visits. In early sept 2009 I was able to make the court appearance and finish up my annulment. My lawyer advised me that it would be granted since the ex-wife (liezl) did not contest it in any way. Knowing it would be granted (kim) and I decided to have kids and get married later on. She got pregnant with our twins during this sept 2009 visit. At the end of sept typhoon Ondoy hit and destroyed marikina city hall and all records which delayed my annulment even farther. On my NSO marriage certificate it lists Feb 16 2010 as the end date of my annulment almost 2 years after I filed. In may 2010 my twins were born. I'm still with the mother of my kids but not married yet. 

Here's my issue on legal relationship.....I was technically still married to my ex-wife at the time (kim) got pregnant (sept 2009) even though my annulment was in process it did not become NSO official until feb 16, 2010. I'm afraid this may hurt my twins chance of getting approved because its a moral issue of still being technically married and having kids with another woman. On a few forms I have to list previous marriages...and they will eventually notice this. 

What you guys think? Should I worry about the moral aspect? I'm going to proceed with the CRBA either way just looking for some thoughts and ideas from those that went thru the process. Sorry its long read....

USMC-Retired

DNA test here you come.  

Your past in the Philippines has no bearing on if you are approved.  It only has bearing on the process to which you are approved.  

Edited by USMC-Retired
  • Like 1

enoonmai

Agreed, all that stuff about why you didn't get married has no bearing on the decision. The burden of proof is on you. If the child is even conceived out of wedlock you get extra scrutiny. 

• Like 1

climo

Thanks guys, but there is no doubt the kids are mine as they look more like me then the mother. I was more concerned that the officer who looks over my case might question the fact that I was still technically married when she got pregnant. Based on the requirements for the CRBA I have more then enough evidence to show I had a genuine relationship with the mother and I'm still with her today. I may be over thinking all this but will take my chances and try to convince the officer that my annulment was already final in sept 2009 and the NSO paperwork was just a formality if they ask. We shall see.....

cebulover2000

On a side note, I believe that you don't need an annulment if you are able to get the divorce in your home country. No matter if you are foreigner or dual citizen.

• Like 1

USMC-Retired

You were not married and if I were a betting man I would say DNA here you come.

Monsoon

Was everyone asked to show some proof that you lived in the US for so many years as a child? I did, but I don't have frigging school records laying around here and I don't have copies of 10 year old tax returns in the Philippines. And old passports, ha, yea right. 

Just wondering how common this request is. You would think they have access to that in the consular database - where and when first passport was issued. It should be pretty non issue since i was natural born two American parents right? 

Edited by Monsoon

USMC-Retired

Yes I was also.  However I have a DD214.  So that was it.  

Headshot

Was everyone asked to show some proof that you lived in the US for so many years as a child? I did, but I don't have frigging school records laying around here and I don't have copies of 10 year old tax returns in the Philippines. And old passports, ha, yea right. 

Just wondering how common this request is. You would think they have access to that in the consular database - where and when first passport was issued. It should be pretty non issue since i was natural born two American parents right? 

Being natural born with two American parents has nothing to do with the requirement. The requirement is that you actually lived in the US for a period of time. You could have been born to American parents, but have never lived in the US. Without having lived there, you can't sponsor anybody else for a visa or for citizenship (not even your own spouse or child).

• Like 1

climo

You were not married and if I were a betting man I would say DNA here you come.

If they ask no big deal...we will be ready.

Hmmm...maybe i should dig up my high school diploma just in case......