Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Got a new toy, or two...

Paul

I purchased this through eBay the first part of December. I just received it, along with lots of other goodies, a couple days ago.

IMG_0381.jpg

A new (guy had it for a while but never used it) solar controller. The controller is a MorningStar SunLight SL-10L-12V, (12vdc at 10 amperes).

This controller is often used for switching on / off outside type lighting circuits. It has preset options to turn on given lights for x number of hours after dark, x number of hours after dark, and then x number of hours before dawn, or on all night. As soon as I pick up another 100 watts panel, I am going to set this up to run outside flood lights for the farm. It will run independent of the main solar array. 

lighting_schedule.jpg

This was included in the purchase for the controller:

IMG_0382.jpg

This is a SunWize 12vdc, 6 watts panel. It isn't a lot, but it will keep a battery charged that is otherwise sitting idle. (Batteries left sitting will slowly discharge over the course of time. If this panel stays connected to a battery through a controller, it will prevent that from happening.)

Edited by Paul
added url for SunWize
  • Like 2

philuk

Another tip for lead acid batteries is to never sit them long tern on a concrete floor. Allways make a wooden slat bed for them to sit on.

Sent from my LG-E400 using Tapatalk 2

tobster

Another tip for lead acid batteries is to never sit them long tern on a concrete floor. Allways make a wooden slat bed for them to sit on.

just curious ...why

Paul, how much did it cost you?

mactanfamily

Not true any more.

Years ago, wooden battery cases encased a glass jar with the battery inside. Any moisture on the floor could cause the wood to swell and possibly fracture the glass, causing it to leak. Later the hard rubber cases, which were somewhat porous and had a high-carbon content. An electrical current could be conducted through this container if the moist concrete floor permitted the current to find an electrical ground. The wise advice of the old days to "keep batteries off concrete" has been passed down to us today, but it no longer applies because of the advanced technology of today’s batteries.

For more than a decade, automotive and commercial battery containers have been made of polypropylene, which is a highly insulative material. It's at least five times more insulative than the old hard rubber. Also, tremendous technological improvements have been made in the seals around the posts and the vent systems, which have virtually eliminated electrolyte seepage and migration. you could sit your battery in 3 inches of water and it would not discharge or leak.

Interestingly, some experts (including Car Talk's Click and Clack) believe that storing car batteries on concrete floors might actually be a better idea than keeping them on shelves or other surfaces because the cold of the floor works to slow the self-discharge (leakage) rate. 
  • Like 7

Paul

mactanfamily explained it pretty well. In fact, I used to believe the same thing. But, since getting more seriously into alternative energy, with all the research I have done, I have learned that no longer is true.

Here is a website regarding this particular topic: http://www.thebatteryterminal.com/TechTalk_Batteries_on_Concrete.htm

Here is a video that explains it as well:

With that said, batteries will still slowly discharge over time, if simply left sitting somewhere. So, this particular module, along with a small controller, would certainly keep an unused battery fully charged.

Paul, how much did it cost you?

Total cost was $60 USD, including shipping to a US address in California. 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

philuk

well you know what they say, " you never stop learning ", thanks for the error adjustment, worth knowing

• Like 2

XBroker

Ran across a guy on YT who was in the Phils talking about how he was grateful to be able to aquire (what he refered to as) poor quality solar panels. That is as a solar community consensus, poor quality. I have to wonder why that is, since you all are so close to China. Yes, I realize the VAT is like 18% or is it 16? Aside from that should you be able to get the good stuff w/ a lot less shipping?

Set up a grid tie, plug & play system myself recently (florida). I'm all in. Wish I could own a house there, even i Thailand it's nto really an option aside from the marriage route.

Bill H

Boat people are starting to switch away from lead acid batteries to the new Lithium derivatives.  One reason is they don't discharge when idle like a lead/acid and they will accept a charge at a much higher rate.  They also tend to significantly outlive lead/acid batteries.  The downside seems to be they require specialized monitoring and control panels and they are more expensive up front but seem to be less expensive over the life of the system.

• Like 1

RogerDat

The reason why we don't have the quaility items that China makes is no one here imports the good stuff.

• Like 1

lopburi3

Ran across a guy on YT who was in the Phils talking about how he was grateful to be able to aquire (what he refered to as) poor quality solar panels. That is as a solar community consensus, poor quality. I have to wonder why that is, since you all are so close to China. Yes, I realize the VAT is like 18% or is it 16? Aside from that should you be able to get the good stuff w/ a lot less shipping?

Set up a grid tie, plug & play system myself recently (florida). I'm all in. Wish I could own a house there, even i Thailand it's nto really an option aside from the marriage route.

Suspect we are off-topic but marriage has nothing to do with land ownership in Thailand - foreigners still can not own land but they can own property (married or not).

Shrek484

Motorcycle batteries changed a lot and now because of the new type we can have much smaller batteries in very awkward places, even upside down with no ill effects, this inturn has led to drastic motorcycle and car design changes too.

The poster who said about the concrete floor, you were not wrong per-say just a little outdated.;-)

Ash.

XBroker

Suspect we are off-topic but marriage has nothing to do with land ownership in Thailand - foreigners still can not own land but they can own property (married or not).

Splitting hairs I suppose. What I meant was, marriage is a way around land ownership laws? Tenious as it may be.

Paul

You boys can start another topic, if you wish - in its respective forum.