Philippines is top spot for risk of homicide for Americans : almost twice as risky as anywhere else

Wrye83

bastard kids in Angeles, who could be from three generations past, are not Americans. They do not count. They are Filipinos not Americans,

if you don't realise that this is a fundamentally violent country, where the prevailing mixture of guns, gold, goons, and girls is always going to promote a higher than usual murder rate, then you did not learn much here.

I'm not arguing that. I think we are arguing the same case. I'm saying if they only counted white, black and Latino American mirders and exclude filipino americans the murder rate of Americans is going to be massively disproportionate to any other country.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• InternetTough

• Brucewayne

• Wrye83

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So there should be a market for "I Am Canadian"  T-Shirts in Phils?

Personally, I haven't killed any Americans in 2014 but the year's not even 40 hours old.   Any more political whinging in the bar when normal people are enjoying a cold one and the tropical views an

So you are saying that it is safer for Americans to visit the Philippines than to live in Chicago?

udonthani

it is a violent country, the Philippines. Not as violent as South Africa, which I also know. But more violent, than Thailand, which is also itself violent.

I have checked the site. Mexico has 18 murders for the period December 2012 to December 2013.

I checked the numbers for like at least 5 years, not just one year when I did the topic.

and i also checked the Philippines against all the other south east Asian countries with which it has the most in common, rather than far away countries much closer in proximity to the USA like Guatemala. Against all those, i.e. Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, etc the Philippines is MILES AHEAD with homicides.

The key question, as was pointed out in the article, is why are so many Americans homicide victims in the Philippines compared to auto accidents, when with the other countries, auto accidents generally outnumber homicides?

Samatm has a bit of a point perhaps in that some of the murder victims may well be pinoy Americans, but that doesn't mean a right lot either really. As it is not as if the Philippines is the only country in the world that has a disapora that partly ends up in the USA and then may gravitate back to their home country. There are Thai Ams, as well as Fili Ams. But it still seems, compared to the other ways they die, Americans have a lot less chance of getting murdered in Thailand than they do in the Philippines. 

which surprised me. I thought that the two would be a lot closer than they are.

What can make you a murder victim? A random street crime, that is a wash between all nations. The American being involved with gangsters in a criminal enterprise? You would expect the Latin American numbers to be higher. Jealousy. Well there you are a high percentage of Americans are going looking for women not beaches and mountain trails, either for wives were the romantic rival catches you or to the sex industry which would spike the random crimes number.

• Like 1
Wrye83

I'll leave it with this and move on: regardless of the murder rate here, if you screw children, mess with the drug crowd, are rude and piss off locals, start a business or make it a habit to walk down dark streets in metro areas you exponentially increase you risk of being killed in this country. And that applies to anywhere you are in the world really.

If you just come here to retire and live a normal life your risk is no more than any Western country. Most people (not all) who are murdered have done something to someone. The vast majority of humans don't go around murdering people just for shits and giggles.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Captainmike

yeah but what makes you think that Thai or Malaysian people and others do not also possess American passports? Since when were the Filipinos the only people in Asia, to avail themselves of US nationality?

try going to the Saxophone Pub in Bangkok. Almost all of the talented people on the stage are likely to be Thai-Ams, that have received if not their musical education, then most of their experience in the United States.

You need to check your facts...  See the link on Immigration to the USA.   There are exponentially more Filipinos than Thai, Malay, etc.....  We (USA) have had a long, close and unique relationship with the Philippines different than any other country in Asia.

Go to 3.1 Origin... to see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_the_United_States

Captainmike

You can prove anything by statistics except the truth...........

As Mark Twain said... "There's three kinds of lies in this world, lies, damn lies and statistics."

udonthani

We (USA) have had a long, close and unique relationship with the Philippines different than any other country in Asia.

there are obviously more Chinese Americans than any other kind of Asian American. By a mile. Except people counted as Chinese American can come from anywhere, like Malaysian Chinese or Indonesian Chinese or even Filipino Chinese. Not just from China. And Japanese Americans used to be the undisputed #2, although they have probably, just about, been overtaken by Filipinos now.

bargeman

Actually, I thought an Irish pub would be the most dangerous place for Brits.

I can say that can't I since my Father is Irish?

It would be if they didn't buy their round!!!! :cool:

• Like 1
bargeman

if you have an English accent in a bar in Glasgow I would rate your chances of getting out of there alive, as being lower than in Dublin. Just my opinion.

Nobody with an English accent killed in any Glasgow bar last year or Dublin bar either.

Headshot

This topic is BS. The US leads the world for American citizens getting murdered...hands down. The Philippines doesn't even come close. You are much more likely to be killed in the US than you are here.

:ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:

• Like 1
udonthani

This topic is BS. The US leads the world for American citizens getting murdered...hands down. The Philippines doesn't even come close. You are much more likely to be killed in the US than you are here.

:ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:

goes without saying, but it looks rather likely to me that as soon as an American goes overseas, then one of the better bets, where the probability is the greater, that someone or other is going to end up topping them illegally, could very well be, the Philippines.

RogerDuMond

goes without saying, but it looks rather likely to me that as soon as an American goes overseas, then one of the better bets, where the probability is the greater, that someone or other is going to end up topping them illegally, could very well be, the Philippines.

That is surprising. One would think, that based on character, that those from England would lead the list.  :)

• Like 1
udonthani

not really. English people do not tend to talk far too loudly like Americans can and which is likely to get them in to trouble here. They also wait patiently in line which curiously, Americans find commendable when English people do it, but contemptible, when Filipinos do.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

The Philippines is also a high risk spot to run into an American who is an outright tosser with social and/or mental illness issues. Perhaps the data corresponds.