Philippines is top spot for risk of homicide for Americans : almost twice as risky as anywhere else

udonthani

I'm totally 100% sure. I know both countries. If there is anybody else here who knows both, that seriously thinks, even for a moment, that there are more people who possess American passports in the Philippines than there are in Thailand, would they please say so?

and just how the hell do you know that there as many as 300,000 Americans in the Philippines? You hardly see any foreigners here at all, never mind Americans. There are no tourists. There is more retiree type expats and other expats, than there used to be, but not much more. There are jobs for some, in Manila and to a very limited extent elsewhere, but nowhere near as many jobs for Americans here as there are in Bangkok, or Thailand generally. Of course there's more Americans in Thailand. That is a no-brainer.

Edited by udonthani
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• InternetTough

• Brucewayne

• Wrye83

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So there should be a market for "I Am Canadian"  T-Shirts in Phils?

Personally, I haven't killed any Americans in 2014 but the year's not even 40 hours old.   Any more political whinging in the bar when normal people are enjoying a cold one and the tropical views an

So you are saying that it is safer for Americans to visit the Philippines than to live in Chicago?

Wrye83

Honestly though, I think we stand a better chance of being murdered in most American cities than we have here.

As long as a person stays out of areas they don't belong and don't incite problems, the chance of being murdered here is probably very, very low.

I have been here for years and they still haven't tried to kill me,....yet, I think?

I found this one a but odd. You apply one rule, "stay out of dangerous places", to the Philippines but think walking around anywhere is safe in the US? The same rule applies everywhere in the world. Stay away from people who are different than you when it's dark and you're alone, unless you're black, then you do just the opposite.

I have to say that the US would be much safer the Philippines, if you stayed out of the low cost/government housing areas. If you're white and live around other white people your chance of getting murdered are quite slim in the US, regardless of what city you a live in. If you're black and live around other black people your chances of getting murdered significantly go up.

Here you're always a minority (that is assumed to be rich) and there is almost always someone here who desperately needs money around you. You are a target at nearly all times here.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Wrye83

These statistics mean nothing so long as they count filipino Americans as Americans. The only statistic that matters is non-asian Americans killed per 100k. And that little statistic will never be known.

udonthani

Uh, I was being sarcastic.

if you have an English accent in a bar in Glasgow I would rate your chances of getting out of there alive, as being lower than in Dublin. Just my opinion.

udonthani

These statistics mean nothing so long as they count filipino Americans as Americans. The only statistic that matters is non-asian Americans killed per 100k. And that little statistic will never be known.

yeah but what makes you think that Thai or Malaysian people and others do not also possess American passports? Since when were the Filipinos the only people in Asia, to avail themselves of US nationality?

try going to the Saxophone Pub in Bangkok. Almost all of the talented people on the stage are likely to be Thai-Ams, that have received if not their musical education, then most of their experience in the United States.

Wrye83

yeah but what makes you think that Thai or Malaysian people and others do not also possess American passports? Since when were the Filipinos the only people in Asia, to avail themselves of US nationality?

try going to the Saxophone Pub in Bangkok. Almost all of the talented people on the stage are likely to be Thai-Ams, that have received if not their musical education, then most of their experience in the United States.

They do so at a much higher frequency than any other country in the region. Last time I heard there were roughly 300k Americans in the Philippines. I would bet 70 percent or more are dual citizens. So it would be much more prevalent here than in Thailand.

I wonder how Honduras rates for murdered Americans,they have the highest murder rate in the world  

udonthani

They do so at a much higher frequency than any other country in the region. Last time I heard there were roughly 300k Americans in the Philippines. I would bet 70 percent or more are dual citizens. So it would be much more prevalent here than in Thailand.

you are just making up these numbers. You are not in the Why Not bar on the Boulevard any more, which is probably where you may have heard that nonsense. There are plenty of Thai and other Asian Americans. Ever been here, by the way? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Town,_Los_Angeles,_California

one of the least worst parts of Los Angeles, I can think of.

Wrye83

There are 300k Thai Americans (.17 percent of the population)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_American

There are 3.4 - 4 million filipino Americans. (Over 1 percent of the population.)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filipino_American

" There are an estimated four million Americans of Philippine ancestry in the United States, and more than 300,000 U.S. citizens in the Philippines."

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/2794.htm

Filipinos migrate to the US at a higher rate than thai. There are roughly 300k Americans living in the Philippines. So I didn't pull that outta my ass. I stand by those FACTS.

When I said "I would bet" more than 70 percent of the Americans in the Philippines are dual citizens that means I'm guessing, so no, I can't back that up with a link just yet. But I'll see if there are any stats.

• Like 1
ThomsonJr

You should know that Filipino Americans by far outnumber other South East Asians in the USA. They are more than 4 Million total in the USA. Many of them still return to the Philippines every once in a while.

You kinda shot yourself in the foot there, Udonthani. 

udonthani

I know they do, but they do not have a monopoly. Other Asian nationalities also migrate to the United States.

and just how come is this assumption, that Fili-Ams go back to the Philippines, after living in the USA for a long time, especially to get murdered?

there is more than one reason why so many more Americans, get murdered in the Philippines, than they do in Thailand (which they do). Especially as the Philippines receives so many much fewer tourists, than Thailand receives. And it isn't that there are a bit more Fili-Ams than Thai-Ams. It is because there is something a bit more violent, about the Philippines, which makes it likelier for people, not just Americans, to get murdered.

Wrye83

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_settlement_in_the_Philippines

This is the only link I could find that even hints at how many of the Americans in the Philippines are filams. Angeles city alone holds 30k plus CHILDREN of filam or "amerasian" decent. That's just the children. That doesn't mean they are American citizens but it gives an idea on just how many in the country COULD be filams. Far far greater than non-asian Americans.

I stand by my guesstimate of 70 percent or so of Americans here are actually filams. Murder of these Americans should count as local or local murders. Whites, blacks, Latinos and Asian americans from different countries should be counted separately. I'm quite sure the Philippine government wouldn't like those numbers to be seen though.

If someone can provide numbers or a link showing otherwise I'm accept defeat and update the memory bank.

I wonder how Honduras rates for murdered Americans,they have the highest murder rate in the world

Right, but most Americans know that and don't go there....and if they do they will take precautions that most wouldn't take in other countries. That's why you don't see high murder rates of Americans in Afghanistan or Iraq. Most people just aren't that stupid.

Wrye83

I know they do, but they do not have a monopoly. Other Asian nationalities also migrate to the United States.

and just how come is this assumption, that Fili-Ams go back to the Philippines, after living in the USA for a long time, especially to get murdered?

there is more than one reason why so many more Americans, get murdered in the Philippines, than they do in Thailand (which they do). Especially as the Philippines receives so many much fewer tourists, than Thailand receives. And it isn't that there are a bit more Fili-Ams than Thai-Ams. It is because there is something a bit more violent, about the Philippines, which makes it likelier for people, not just Americans, to get murdered.

Well they kinda do have a monopoly on migrating to the US. China has more people migrating to the US but if you compare that to their population it's quite a minimal percentage of the population leaving. You didn't actually go to those links I posted now did ya?

Per capita, Filipinos migrate to the US more frequently to the US than any other country in the region.

udonthani

bastard kids in Angeles, who could be from three generations past, are not Americans. They do not count. They are Filipinos not Americans,

if you don't realise that this is a fundamentally violent country, where the prevailing mixture of guns, gold, goons, and girls is always going to promote a higher than usual murder rate, then you did not learn much here.

Wrye83

I don't think anyone is saying, "hey, I wonder where a good place to go get murdered would be? Oh I know! The Philippines."

I'd bet they move back for financial or family reasons like most people who choose the Philippines.

Come on dude, your going way out their in right field now.