Philippines is top spot for risk of homicide for Americans : almost twice as risky as anywhere else

smokey

I have no idea what you are trying to say, so I cannot directly answer your argument (if you made one).

As for me being a "spin doctor"---I am trying to find the most relevant data to determine murder risk to Americans in the Philippines. I think that the best numbers I could get would be the total numbers of murders per number of man-years lived in the country, not the number of murders per visits to the country. 

I don't have a strong opinion about the murder risk to Americans in the Philippines because I haven't seen any figures that show anything of value.

The rather small number of Americans shown on the State Department site, 5, seems to be a product of underreporting to me.

If it weren't, it would indicate that the murder rate in the Philippines of Americans is quite low.

if your dead your dead and that be the end no matter where it happens or why it happens

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• InternetTough

• Brucewayne

• Wrye83

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So there should be a market for "I Am Canadian"  T-Shirts in Phils?

Personally, I haven't killed any Americans in 2014 but the year's not even 40 hours old.   Any more political whinging in the bar when normal people are enjoying a cold one and the tropical views an

So you are saying that it is safer for Americans to visit the Philippines than to live in Chicago?

smokey

It'll never be that safe!

Joke, joke!

Honestly though, I think we stand a better chance of being murdered in most American cities than we have here.

As long as a person stays out of areas they don't belong and don't incite problems, the chance of being murdered here is probably very, very low.

I have been here for years and they still haven't tried to kill me,....yet, I think?

no thats funny you mean more Americans are killed in american then Americans killed in the Philippines ??   now who would of though more americans would be killed in american then not in america ... lets see with 330,000,000 million americans seems almost impossible to not hit one 

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1
InternetTough

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-dangerous-dozen-the-12-most-dangerous-countries-for-americans-to-visit

I wouldn't swear to the accuracy of this article (written in 2009), but it seems to the point. 

Neither the Philippines, Thailand,

or Vietnam are highly recommended by it.

Edited by InternetTough
Brucewayne

no thats funny you mean more Americans are killed in american then Americans killed in the Philippines ??   now who would of though more americans would be killed in american then not in america ... lets see with 330,000,000 million americans seems almost impossible to not hit one 

I was thinking more on the percentage side of the issue.

I could be wrong, but I do feel safer here than in most U.S. cities.

U.S. murder rate higher than nearly all other developed countries: FBI data

By Agence France-Presse

Monday, September 16, 2013 13:24 EST

crime_scene_afp-615x345.jpg

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • button-print-blu20.png
  • email-button.png

Violent crime in the United States remained close to two-decade lows last year but the murder rate was higher than in virtually all other developed countries, official figures showed Monday.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation said that violent crime inched up 0.7 percent in 2012 from the previous year, while property crime fell by 0.9 percent.

The figures were broadly in line with a decline in crime since 1993. While the annual report did not assess reasons for the trend, experts point to the end of the country’s epidemic of crack use in the early 1990s.

The survey said 14,827 people were murdered last year in the United States, well down from 24,526 in 1993, when the country’s population was smaller.

But the 2012 murder rate — 4.7 murders per 100,000 people — was significantly higher than in most other wealthy nations.

The comparable rate is 0.4 in Japan, 0.8 in Germany, 1.0 in Australia 1.1 in France and 1.2 in Britain, according to figures compiled by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development.

Among nations assessed by the Paris-based club of market economies, only Brazil, Estonia, Mexico and Russia had higher murder rates.

However, when looking only at the rate of people assaulted or mugged, the United States had a lower rate than any country except Canada and Japan, according to the same OECD index.

The United States is one of the world’s most heavily-armed nations, with between one-third and one-half of Americans owning guns and strong political resistance to regulations on ownership.

The survey showed that violent crime rates tended to be higher in the historic South and lower in the Northeast and Midwest.

However, the Federal Bureau of Investigation cautioned against ranking areas by crime, saying that the rough statistics do not account for variables in communities.

Nangulo

EVERY PAGE has a homicide. In the other countries most pages do not have a homicide at all. Especially Thailand. There are more Americans there, spending more hours there in total, than the Philippines. Yet there are MUCH fewer homicides.

And the point is ......

InternetTough

look at the State Department site. It just jumps right out at you compared to the other countries like Thailand, Malaysia, etc.

EVERY PAGE has a homicide. In the other countries most pages do not have a homicide at all. Especially Thailand. There are more Americans there, spending more hours there in total, than the Philippines. Yet there are MUCH fewer homicides.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emigration_from_the_United_States*

According to this list, there are over 300,000 Americans living in the Philippines. And yet, from December 2012 to December 2013 the State Department only received reports of 5 murders of Americans. I honestly don't think that site is very accurate, US State Department or no, because that murder rate is 1.66 per hundred thousand per year---Canada's is 1.6 (in 2012)!

Unfortunately, Thailand is not on the list.

*The Wikipedia figure is also from the US State Department

Here is the caveat from the State Department site:

"Important Note: The information below should not be considered a statistically complete account of U.S. citizen deaths in foreign countries during the reporting period. Only those deaths reported to the Department of State and deaths that can be established as non-natural are included. Most American citizens who die abroad were resident abroad and surviving family members might not inform the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate of the death. The report may not include some deaths of U.S. military or U.S. government officials. Identifying information is omitted for privacy. The table excludes countries where, during the reporting period, no deaths met the above criteria."

I suspect that the Philippines might under-report murders slightly less than Thailand or Vietnam. In any case, I don't think that the Philippines is as safe for Americans as Canada is, which is what you would conclude if one only looked at the numbers without the caveat. 

Edited by InternetTough
udonthani

Actually, I thought an Irish pub would be the most dangerous place for Brits.

I can say that can't I since my Father is Irish?

only idiots would think that. Relations between Ireland and Britain are now excellent and the two are each other's closest allies.  In fact they have usually been very good, at least in my lifetime, and almost no Irish these days in Britain (and there are millions of them) report anti anti Irish stuff that yes, sometimes, and disgracefully, used to happen. A lot of it was tied in, with the Irish being Catholics. As that has got less important, and everything got more secularised and also as people in England just got used to Irish immigrants (as they get used to others) then everything calms down.

it is the Scots, not the Irish, that usually have it in for the English the most and they have made it a bit of a national sport. Most Irish are a touch classier, than that.

English and Irish people are actually quite similar. They certainly have a lot more in common with each other than they do with most Americans, whether they have Irish ancestry or not.

udonthani

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emigration_from_the_United_States

According to this list, there are over 300,000 Americans living in the Philippines. And yet, from December 2012 to December 2013 the State Department only received reports of 5 murders of Americans. I honestly don't think that site is very accurate, US State Department or no, because that murder rate is 1.66 per hundred thousand per year---less than Canada's murder rate! 

Unfortunately, Thailand is not on the list.

obviously Americans all of them spend many more hours/much more time collectively in Thailand than they do in the Philippines. Much more. Whether they be tourists, expats or what. There are just more of them. Much more.  And yet far fewer of them, are listed on the State Department site, as having been homicide victims.

Brucewayne

only idiots would think that. Relations between Ireland and Britain are now excellent and the two are each other's closest allies.  In fact they have usually been very good, at least in my lifetime, and almost no Irish these days in Britain (and there are millions of them) report anti anti Irish stuff that yes, sometimes, and disgracefully, used to happen. A lot of it was tied in, with the Irish being Catholics. As that has got less important, and everything got more secularised and also as people in England just got used to Irish immigrants (as they get used to others) then everything calms down.

it is the Scots, not the Irish, that usually have it in for the English the most and they have made it a bit of a national sport. Most Irish are a touch classier, than that.

English and Irish people are actually quite similar. They certainly have a lot more in common with each other than they do with most Americans, whether they have Irish ancestry or not.

Uh, I was being sarcastic.

InternetTough

obviously Americans all of them spend many more hours/much more time collectively in Thailand than they do in the Philippines. Much more. Whether they be tourists, expats or what. There are just more of them. Much more.  And yet far fewer of them, are listed on the State Department site, as having been homicide victims.

And yet, it is hard to find a figure for it. The Philippines, with 300,000+ would be hard to beat.

And I don't believe that State Department site lists 20% of the actual murders of Americans in the Philippines. And if it did report only 20%, that still would be only a murder rate of 9 or so per 100,000 per year. I don't have any idea of how inaccurate a source it would be for Malaysia or Thailand, but judging by its record, it could have hugely inaccurate reporting there, too.

Please don't forget that the site itself says that its list should not be taken as statistically complete! 

Edited by InternetTough
Nangulo

And the point is .......

udonthani

the point is, according to the available evidence, that at least if you are American, it seems you are likelier to get rubbed out here by somebody else, than just about anywhere.

InternetTough

the point is, according to the available evidence, that at least if you are American, it seems you are likelier to get rubbed out here by somebody else, than just about anywhere.

Are we back to "..anywhere"? I thought that you amended that to SEA nations?

If you mean "anywhere" I have a lot of data that goes against that, from the deplorably inaccurate US State Department site.

Edited by InternetTough
udonthani

And yet, it is hard to find a figure for it. The Philippines, with 300,000+ would be hard to beat.

what are you talking about now? Have you ever been to Thailand? There's much more Americans there, than there are here. Miles more. More expats. And much more tourists. Much more Americans of every type. You don't have to use google to know that. It's obvious.

InternetTough

what are you talking about now? Have you ever been to Thailand? There's much more Americans there, than there are here. Miles more. More expats. And much more tourists. Much more Americans of every type. You don't have to use google to know that. It's obvioII

You might be right that there are more Americans in Thailand than there are here, but I wonder how you can be so sure. I wish I could find a solid figure for it somewhere. Repeating that it is "...obvious! obvious!" doesn't do much for me. I mean, how many of the 300,000+ Americans reported in the Philippines 7000+ islands have you "obviously" seen and counted? How many of the perhaps many more Americans in Thailand whose presence is so "obvious" to you have you counted?

And how many of those people who were "obviously" Americans in Thailand that you have seen were Brits? I think that there are a lot of Brits in Thailand, maybe more than there are Americans.

Edited by InternetTough