Philippines is top spot for risk of homicide for Americans : almost twice as risky as anywhere else

InternetTough

do they call you the spin doctor?  How many people from the Philippines were killed in Detroit compared to Americans .... 

I have no idea what you are trying to say, so I cannot directly answer your argument (if you made one).

As for me being a "spin doctor"---I am trying to find the most relevant data to determine murder risk to Americans in the Philippines. I think that the best numbers I could get would be the total numbers of murders per number of man-years lived in the country, not the number of murders per visits to the country. 

I don't have a strong opinion about the murder risk to Americans in the Philippines because I haven't seen any figures that show anything of value.

The rather small number of Americans shown on the State Department site, 5, seems to be a product of underreporting to me.

If it weren't, it would indicate that the murder rate in the Philippines of Americans is quite low.

Edited by InternetTough
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• InternetTough

• Brucewayne

• Wrye83

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So there should be a market for "I Am Canadian"  T-Shirts in Phils?

Personally, I haven't killed any Americans in 2014 but the year's not even 40 hours old.   Any more political whinging in the bar when normal people are enjoying a cold one and the tropical views an

So you are saying that it is safer for Americans to visit the Philippines than to live in Chicago?

Two points:

1. maybe the Americans were asking for it

2. what is axiomatic these days is that Americans are a much larger, slower moving target than other nationalities

• Like 2
InternetTough

I have checked the site. Mexico has 18 murders for the period December 2012 to December 2013.

I checked the numbers for like at least 5 years, not just one year when I did the topic.

and i also checked the Philippines against all the other south east Asian countries with which it has the most in common, rather than far away countries much closer in proximity to the USA like Guatemala. Against all those, i.e. Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, etc the Philippines is MILES AHEAD with homicides.

The key question, as was pointed out in the article, is why are so many Americans homicide victims in the Philippines compared to auto accidents, when with the other countries, auto accidents generally outnumber homicides?

Samatm has a bit of a point perhaps in that some of the murder victims may well be pinoy Americans, but that doesn't mean a right lot either really. As it is not as if the Philippines is the only country in the world that has a disapora that partly ends up in the USA and then may gravitate back to their home country. There are Thai Ams, as well as Fili Ams. But it still seems, compared to the other ways they die, Americans have a lot less chance of getting murdered in Thailand than they do in the Philippines. 

which surprised me. I thought that the two would be a lot closer than they are.

But the topic title says that the Philippines has a higher risk of homicide for Americans than "anywhere else"!

So, you are now restricting it to SEA countries? That is a rather large change of position.

( By the way,  looking over the list internationally, back when the "anywhere else" claim was operative, I was struck at the extremely high rate of suicide by American expats in Switzerland and Germany as compared to the Philippines.The gloomy, but orderly cold countries might have their own dangers of violent death.)

Edited by InternetTough
udonthani

But the topic title says that the Philippines has a higher risk of homicide for Americans than "anywhere else"!

So, you are now restricting it to SEA countries? That is a rather large change of position.

( By the way,  looking over the list internationally, back when the "anywhere else" claim was operative, I was struck at the extremely high rate of suicide by American expats in Switzerland and Germany as compared to the Philippines.The gloomy, but orderly cold countries might have their own dangers of violent death.)

at least Switerland is no surprise. I thought it was the assisted suicide capital of the world? There are more suicides of Americans than homicides listed in Thailand but suicides of Americans are very unusual in the Philippines.

in fact I wasn't that surprised that the murder rate of Americans in the Philippines seemed quite high. That did not surprise me. But i did not expect it to be so low, in Thailand.

obviously surely better to compare the Philippines to the neighbouring countries though than just anywhere, the article itself says Philippines homicide risk is greater than anywhere else and it uses the same measure, for all of the countries.

Nangulo

5 murders out of 13 deaths Murder rate per total death rate = 38.46%

I know what you're trying to say, but that's not a murder rate.  It ought to be per capita or per something else, like per million visitor hours.  But simply dividing the number of people murdered by the number dead is not an indicator of any trend or statistic.

More interesting questions aren't even addressed, such as motive.  Were the Americans murdered because of robbery, their wives, drunken neighbors?  And as a comparison, there are no other nationalities mentioned.  Are there more Americans murdered in the Philippines than any other nationality.

Whew! I am just glad that I'm not in the Philippines at this time. Hey, when it gets safer, how about lettin' me know, and I will go back.

Brucewayne

Whew! I am just glad that I'm not in the Philippines at this time. Hey, when it gets safer, how about lettin' me know, and I will go back.

It'll never be that safe!

Joke, joke!

Honestly though, I think we stand a better chance of being murdered in most American cities than we have here.

As long as a person stays out of areas they don't belong and don't incite problems, the chance of being murdered here is probably very, very low.

I have been here for years and they still haven't tried to kill me,....yet, I think?

• Like 3

I have been here for years and they still haven't tried to kill me,....yet, I think?

It's all in the timing. It's alllllll in the timing. Soooo, what's your schedule for the next week or so, pal? 

• Like 1
rainymike

LOL ... the odds of me dying this year at my age (62) is about 1 in a 100.

Not even going to blink at anything that looks like 21 out of a million. 

Man, I just don't have time to sweat the small shit.

• Like 3
InternetTough
I know what you're trying to say, but that's not a murder rate.  It ought to be per capita or per something else, like per million visitor hours.  But simply dividing the number of people murdered by the number dead is not an indicator of any trend or statistic.  

I totally agree, but I was arguing from my opponent's premises. Even according to the OP's own premises and one listed source, the Philippines isn't the most dangerous country in the world for Americans.

I have been arguing for just the kind of statistic you suggest.

Edited by InternetTough
quit_yume

there was more than 1 thread on this previously.  on one of them we worked out that for the amount of time americans actually are 'in' the philippine they are exposed to the same amount of risk as living in detroit.

on a separate note, i did read somewhere that statistically thailand was the most dangers place for brits..

InternetTough
but suicides of Americans are very unusual in the Philippines.  

As it is among the Filipinos themselves. Koreans, on the other hand, have a suicide rate rising  with their country's GDP.

South Korean suicide rate: 28.1 per 100,000 people in 2012  (It was only 6.8 per 100,000 in 1983)

Philippine suicide rate:         2.75 per 100,000 people in 2005

GDP  (PPP) per capita:  South Korea  $31,950 (2012)

Philippines     $  4,380 (2012)

sources :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_South_Korea

Edited by InternetTough
mikewright

These figures seem about right. For every 1,000,000 visits (which would include expats and certain tourists making multiple visits each year). there were 21 homicides.

Of the 21 homicides, of relevance would be the breakup, eg, murder, justifiable homicide, involuntary manslaughter, accidental homicide,  military action, etc.

Edited by mikewright
udonthani

look at the State Department site. It just jumps right out at you compared to the other countries like Thailand, Malaysia, etc.

EVERY PAGE has a homicide. In the other countries most pages do not have a homicide at all. Especially Thailand. There are more Americans there, spending more hours there in total, than the Philippines. Yet there are MUCH fewer homicides.

Brucewayne

, i did read somewhere that statistically thailand was the most dangers place for brits..

Actually, I thought an Irish pub would be the most dangerous place for Brits.

I can say that can't I since my Father is Irish?

• Like 1