Sign in to follow this  
ZipSquare

Sword and Knife Makers

ZipSquare

I am new to this forum and this would be my first post. However, I am a native of Cebu. 

I know several blade makers here in Cebu City, If we are to talk about the blade, yes, they make good ones. However, I haven't found those who make good fittings (e.g. Handle, Scabbard, and Handguard.) And it is a rarity for me to find those who make blade fittings with kamagong or similar hardwood and with artistic qualities in mind.

I also would love for anyone in this forum to point me to good blade makers with or without good fittings. 

Salamat kaayo for those who would reply! :D

Bill H

Swords forged to be actual fighting weapons are hard to find indeed.  Most of the swords you see in the stores are for decoration only.  The blades will break if you try to use them in combat.  A real fighting blade is a true work of art and takes a great deal of experience and knowledge of metallurgy.  I'd love to find a local forge who makes fighting blades!

hyaku

They never will make a good blade the way they force air in. It oxidizes the metal too much. Sadly they haven't got much idea about tempering either. It would be so easy for them to use oil instead of water. The fittings are way too light as well. I use a blade nearly every day. I really do like the shapes and actual balance of the blade. The kukri shape works even better than a Japanese shoto for one handed cutting.

• Like 2

ZipSquare

They never will make a good blade the way they force air in. It oxidizes the metal too much. Sadly they haven't got much idea about tempering either. It would be so easy for them to use oil instead of water. The fittings are way too light as well. I use a blade nearly every day. I really do like the shapes and actual balance of the blade. The kukri shape works even better than a Japanese shoto for one handed cutting.

I like the insights that are coming from you. But please stay on topic.

Nonetheless, thank you. I learned.

ZipSquare

To be more specifc. I would like know where the blade makers here in Cebu are located.

Edited by ZipSquare

KID

ZipSquare----- Welcome to the forum

I don't remember exactly who it is, But I remember reading a post about 6 months ago from a member of the forum who makes blades

I wanna say it was ----lord blacknail---- but I am not positive

• Like 1

Lordblacknail

Nope not me

shadow

Swords forged to be actual fighting weapons are hard to find indeed.  Most of the swords you see in the stores are for decoration only.  The blades will break if you try to use them in combat.  A real fighting blade is a true work of art and takes a great deal of experience and knowledge of metallurgy.  I'd love to find a local forge who makes fighting blades!

About 12 years ago I was walking down Jones near Sanciangko, and a knife maker was trying to sell me a bolo. He whacked a steel signpost VERY hard. It cut a nice gouge out of the GI Pipe signpost, but made no mark of any kind on the bolo. I bought it for P500, and it is in my brother's care today.

Obviously, someone knew a little something about tempering.

Edited by shadow
  • Like 3

hyaku

I have bought a blade from Pardo. As I said I'm not looking for wall hangers but blade I can use. I found some with alloy handles. It brought some of the balance back into the hilt. Main thing is going to colon to get a decent stone. Back in Japan they cost 70.000.

Longest blade I use is 180 cms. I avoid anyone that uses the word katana that's for sure. There are specific words used for forging Japanese blades and katana isn't one of them. Its sort of a "ninja" thing.

One could try ask someone to make you a decent blade and hilt but you might as well bang your head on a wall

Some years ago I had a newly forged Japanese Tanto I wanted to use for throwing practice and door cutting. I was told some reputable guy in Mactan could do it for me. So away went my tanto already with a decent "han togi". A polish used for blades we use for cutting. A mirror polish has a blade sliding all over the place. It needs to 'bite'. Anyway the blade came back with a nice hilt......and the f???ing idiot had chromed the blade.

• Like 1

ZipSquare

About 12 years ago I was walking down Jones near Sanciangko, and a knife maker was trying to sell me a bolo. He whacked a steel signpost VERY hard. It cut a nice gouge out of the GI Pipe signpost, but made no mark of any kind on the bolo. I bought it for P500, and it is in my brother's care today.

Obviously, someone knew a little something about tempering.

This post excited me. But still, no exact location of the blade maker. And it is a good sign that there are really good blade makers here in Cebu that know their craft.

ZipSquare

I have bought a blade from Pardo. As I said I'm not looking for wall hangers but blade I can use. I found some with alloy handles. It brought some of the balance back into the hilt. Main thing is going to colon to get a decent stone. Back in Japan they cost 70.000.

Longest blade I use is 180 cms. I avoid anyone that uses the word katana that's for sure. There are specific words used for forging Japanese blades and katana isn't one of them. Its sort of a "ninja" thing.

One could try ask someone to make you a decent blade and hilt but you might as well bang your head on a wall

Some years ago I had a newly forged Japanese Tanto I wanted to use for throwing practice and door cutting. I was told some reputable guy in Mactan could do it for me. So away went my tanto already with a decent "han togi". A polish used for blades we use for cutting. A mirror polish has a blade sliding all over the place. It needs to 'bite'. Anyway the blade came back with a nice hilt......and the f???ing idiot had chromed the blade.

Yes. I've been to Pardo and I am positive on that the blades with alloy hilts have good balance versus the wooden ones. I have a lot of their bolos in my ownership.

Where exactly is the "guy in mactan" located?

hyaku

Yes. I've been to Pardo and I am positive on that the blades with alloy hilts have good balance versus the wooden ones. I have a lot of their bolos in my ownership.

Where exactly is the "guy in mactan" located?

I will have to find out. A student took the blade for me.

ZipSquare

I will have to find out. A student took the blade for me.

Please, do tell me if you find out.

Are you a martial arts practitioner? 

OFF TOPIC: I can't seem to send a PM to anyone nor view your profiles. Is this because I am a new member?

Headshot

I can't seem to send a PM to anyone nor view your profiles. Is this because I am a new member?

Yes. Once you have 30 posts, you will be a full member.

• Like 1

hyaku

Please, do tell me if you find out.

Are you a martial arts practitioner? OFF TOPIC: I can't seem to send a PM to anyone nor view your profiles. Is this because I am a new member?

Yes, but its not in my profile anyway. Blades are a pet subject for me. Out of the typhoon area for a while and staying with a friend who polished swords at home in Japan. Very nice collection of blades right in front of me. The kind of knives you could stab though a car door with.

• Like 1

ZipSquare

Yes, but its not in my profile anyway. Blades are a pet subject for me. Out of the typhoon area for a while and staying with a friend who polished swords at home in Japan. Very nice collection of blades right in front of me. The kind of knives you could stab though a car door with.

Oh my. I was looking for someone to repair my Katana(Folded and with real hamon). The blade is bent a few degrees with scratches on it. Is it possible that we meet? I would also like to see the blades that you have. 

I can't find a way to contact you without giving out personal details since I cannot message privately. 

ZipSquare

Yes. Once you have 30 posts, you will be a full member.

I think there is something wrong with my time zone. I am from Philippines and it displays 5:11 A.M. when the correct time is 1:11 PM. Any way I can change my timezone manually?

Headshot

I think there is something wrong with my time zone. I am from Philippines and it displays 5:11 A.M. when the correct time is 1:11 PM. Any way I can change my timezone manually?

Once you are a full member, you can click on your own avatar, which will open you profile. Click "edit profile", and the top of the list of things you can change is your time zone, which you can then change to Hong Kong time (that is also our time zone in the Philippines). As a new member, I don't think your profile can be edited. You can either get 30 posts or make a donation to the site (which actually goes to charity) which makes you a sponsor, and then you can edit your profile.

If you ask Paul (or one of the other admins), they can send your email address to Hyaku. Then, if he wants to talk with you, he can send you an email.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

ZipSquare

Once you are a full member, you can click on your own avatar, which will open you profile. Click "edit profile", and the top of the list of things you can change is your time zone, which you can then change to Hong Kong time (that is also our time zone in the Philippines). As a new member, I don't think your profile can be edited. You can either get 30 posts or make a donation to the site (which actually goes to charity) which makes you a sponsor, and then you can edit your profile.

If you ask Paul (or one of the other admins), they can send your email address to Hyaku. Then, if he wants to talk with you, he can send you an email.

Very informative. Thank you.

hyaku

Very informative. Thank you.

Mmm bends are difficult unless its a single one. How do you clean it now? What do you use?

ZipSquare

Mmm bends are difficult unless its a single one. How do you clean it now? What do you use?

Fortunately it is single bend just off by a few degrees. It is unnoticeable when you look at it from the side, but evident once you trace the edge of the blade. 

By polishing with sand paper and WD-40(sometimes singer oil) Plus keeping it in a sword case.

The scratches were cause by the curiosity of my younger years as I tried to tinker with it. It also has a corroded habaki and a loose tsuka-ito. The lacquer at the tip of the saya, opposite of the lip, has seen cosmetic damage to it.

Is there any way that I can contact you privately regarding this matter? You can PM me your email if that is possible.

Paul

Is there any way that I can contact you privately regarding this matter? You can PM me your email if that is possible.

Did you not read everything Headshot posted?

If you wish to make contact with another member, send a PM to the administrators - myself, Alan S, Steve, or broden. (We are the only members you can contact via PM.) Then, the admin can send a joint PM to both parties, where you may exchange email addresses, phone numbers, etc. 

ZipSquare

Did you not read everything Headshot posted?

If you wish to make contact with another member, send a PM to the administrators - myself, Alan S, Steve, or broden. (We are the only members you can contact via PM.) Then, the admin can send a joint PM to both parties, where you may exchange email addresses, phone numbers, etc. 

Sorry, I do not know how to contact you directly. As headshot said, I cannot send a pm just yet.

Edited by ZipSquare