Sign in to follow this  
CebuKano

Typhoon Dead STILL Not Buried

CebuKano

Incredible.

-------------------------------------------

More than 1,000 victims of Super Typhoon Haiyan have still not been buried, seven weeks after the deadliest storm to ever hit the Philippines, according to locals.

About 1,400 corpses sealed into black body bags have been left in an open field in San Isidro, a village on the outskirts of the devastated city of Tacloban.

"The stench has taken away our appetite. Even in our sleep, we have to wear face masks," Maritess Pedrosa, who lives in a house about 20 metres from the field, said.

Haiyan victims celebrate Christmas with an improvised tree

Haiyan killed 6,111 people as it battered the Philippines on November 8, while another 1,779 remain missing, according to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council.

Tacloban and nearby towns were virtually destroyed by giant waves that swept inland as the storm hit.

Eutiquio Balunan, a local village chief, said people in San Isidro were becoming sick because of the rotting corpses.

Tacloban was devastated by huge waves generated by the typhoon

"We are requesting the city government to please bury the cadavers because our children and elderly residents are getting sick," he said.

"This place has become a fly factory."

Forensics experts at the site attemept to identify any bodies brought there before returning them to the families or placing them in a mass grave at a cemetery about two miles away.

Millions of people lost their homes to Haiyan

Eight police officers guard the bodies. One told the AFP news agency they were under orders to prevent stray dogs from eating the corpses.

About four million people remain homeless following the typhoon.

http://news.sky.com/story/1187862/philippines-typhoon-dead-remain-unburied

• Like 1

Canuck Joe

ridiculous

CebuKano

I guess that it's a matter of nobody wants to be responsible for making the call to bury them in a mass grave? But I think that I recall a few days (a week or so) after the typhoon didn't they bury lots of victims in a mass grave? I wonder what the difference is here? I'm surprised that there hasn't been more disease outbreak there because of this. I feel for the victim's families for wanting closure but at some point the good of the masses has to come into play.

Monsoon

I guess that it's a matter of nobody wants to be responsible for making the call to bury them in a mass grave? But I think that I recall a few days (a week or so) after the typhoon didn't they bury lots of victims in a mass grave? I wonder what the difference is here? I'm surprised that there hasn't been more disease outbreak there because of this. I feel for the victim's families for wanting closure but at some point the good of the masses has to come into play.

Nobody who is in charge of anything in this country will take responsibility for anything that doesn't pay them. If there's no money to gain, nobody will step up. 

Thats the life here. That's par for the course. 

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 3

CebuKano

Nobody who is in charge of anything in this country will take responsibility for anything that doesn't pay them. If there's no money to gain, nobody will step up. 

Thats the life here. That's par for the course.

Sad but very true.

• Like 2

broden

black bags in the RP sun for seven weeks 

those are no longer bodies in any sense 

just festering bags of goo

• Like 3

jigsy

The report I read said the NBI crew all went home for the holidays. Astonishing if true.

hyaku

Mr Tonelette head of NBI is from Biliran. He won't find much better there. I'm told my barangay power is still down, still no banks in operation, no internet (3G). Other officials I know are on hols in Cebu.

I guess its back to pancit and candles as I try to clear the land when I return. The help left a bit early..... Even a bit more advice in logistics would go a long way.

jigsy

Seems most of the foreign help left before Christmas?

woodchopper

lucky the 911 people never took annual leave eh?

Headshot

black bags in the RP sun for seven weeks 

those are no longer bodies in any sense 

just festering bags of goo

And nobody looking for lost relatives is going to open those bags at this point. They need to just dig trenches and bury them. Create a new cemetery with a memorial. I'm surprised that no politician has realized that there IS money to be made by creating a small memorial park (and cemetery) to the storm victims. The world has never known a storm like this, and hopefully it will be a long, long time before it knows another.

• Like 1

Skywalker

It's not actually that surprising, since somebody already mentioned that dead bodies themselves are not a health hazard.  Really?

Somebody else mentioned that since it's been 40+ days since the typhoon, that things must be pretty much back to normal now.  A magnificent display of no real understanding of how things work here.

Some people don't know their ass from their elbow, and really should observe the maxim that saying nothing is better than the alternative.  So I'm gonna shut up!

Edited by Skywalker
  • Like 1

cebubird

It's too bad major news outlets in the world don't pick this up and show the world what a piss-poor country this is.

• Like 3

CebuKano

It's too bad major news outlets in the world don't pick this up and show the world what a piss-poor country this is.

I agree Bill, but only the a-hole politicians and some (maybe most?) government workers. I think we all agree that most of the regular citizens here are generally decent people. It's unfortunate that they (along with us, to some extent) have to deal with the moronic government from time to time and there is little they or we can do to get things changed. To say it's frustrating is an understatment for sure.

Edited by Motörhead
  • Like 1

MIDNITERIDER

It's not actually that surprising, since somebody already mentioned that dead bodies themselves are not a health hazard.  Really?

Somebody else mentioned that since it's been 40+ days since the typhoon, that things must be pretty much back to normal now.  A magnificent display of no real understanding of how things work here.

Some people don't know their ass from their elbow, and really should observe the maxim that saying nothing is better than the alternative.  So I'm gonna shut up!

Yeah that's a fairly common misconception about hazard. Wait a month or so more and they'll dry up but by that time will be maggot infested. The smell is never really going to go away for the nearby residents though.