Sign in to follow this  
ahoy53

How does private schools in the Philippines compare to public schools in the U.S.

samatm

My son attended Caraga Regional Science High School here in Surigao city which is a public High school and I feel he received a quality education preparing him for college. There are good schools if one is willing to research and locate themselves were these schools are located.

http://Science High schools in Philippines

James, you have long been extolling the your lad's  HS experience.  Has he taken his SAT's  ACT yet?     Did the education prep him enough to be US  college bound level.    I think I remember you said he is back in TX with Granny.  Is he back in a   TX high school system to get the 2 grades he missed? 

My daughter graduated last year .. from a private HS..  and now is in UNI here in CEBU.   The rigors of going to class and commuting and having more responsibility..may help her for REAL college in a couple of years.   Her writing abilities went way down...after moving here in the 7 th grade where she was always top of her class.  She lost confidence in Maths  ..where she always did well... and  Lost here enthusiasm for Chemistry..because of the way it was taught her (rote memory --- no lab -even though they had to buy lap attire and goggles for the experiements that never happened.)   

John B

any school in America is better than the best private school (very expensive) in cebu.   Your ONLY chance of educating your kid is YOU be involved and teach att home to make up the woeful shortcomings of any school you send her/him to.   You also need to see what they are teaching because a lot in textbooks here is incorrect.  The kid needs to be taught the correct knowledge and understan what is incorrect in the Philippino textbooks.

Answering a test question correctly will fail the kid if the textbook says otherwise.

I know this from personal experience.      Motivation from you & mom goes a long way especially if the kid is one of the few that enjoys learning.

There are many resources available on line to help you.    It will be a job you will have to dedicate time and effort to if you want the kid to succeed.

• Like 1

Headshot

How close does your child’s high school come to this curriculum?

Required High School Courses (Grades 7-12):

• Math…should include basic math skills, personal economics, business math, statistics, pre-algebra, algebra 1 and 2, plane geometry, trigonometry, analytical geometry and calculus. How far a student progresses depends on the student’s aptitude and previous record, but at least basic math skills and personal economics must be mastered by every student.
  • Science…should include earth science, life science, environmental science, biology, chemistry and physics. How far a student progresses depends on the student’s aptitude and previous record, but all students will progress at least through environmental science regardless of aptitude or record.
  • Social Studies…should include Philippine geography, world geography, Philippine history, regional history, world history, civics. All students will participate at all levels regardless of aptitude or record.
  • Language skills…to include any combination of the following, with students taking at least three subjects each semester. At least basic knowledge of Tagalog, English and the regional language must be achieved regardless of aptitude or record.

Tagalog language…should include vocabulary, spelling and grammar. All students must achieve a basic knowledge.

English language…should include vocabulary, spelling and grammar. All students must achieve at least a basic knowledge.

Regional (native) languages…should include vocabulary, spelling and grammar. All students must achieve a basic knowledge of their own regional language.

Literature…should include Philippine literature, American literature, English literature, world literature and creative writing…depending on the student’s aptitude and previous record in language skills courses. All students will at least pass Philippine literature.

Elective Courses (Grades 7-12):

• Arts and Music…with options in chorus (vocal), band (musical instruments), basic art, painting, sculpture, ceramics and pottery…with participation depending on the student’s aptitude and previous record in arts and music courses. Every student will take and pass at least one art or music course.
  • Vocational…with options in drafting, woodwork, metalwork, plastics, crafts, welding, machinery, metallurgy, manufacturing processes, building construction, computer aided design (CAD), computer programming, computer technology, computer applications, drivers education, maritime skills, home economics, cooking, textiles/sewing, agriculture, fishing/aquaculture and animal husbandry…with participation depending on the student’s aptitude and previous record in vocational courses. Every student will take and pass at least one vocational course.
  • Foreign Languages…with options of Mandarin, Japanese, Spanish, French and German…with participation depending on the student’s aptitude and previous record in language skills courses.
  • Physical Education…with options of basic physical education, various sports, aerobics and weight training. Every student will take and pass at least three PE courses.
  • Communications…with options of debate, public speaking, journalism, and desktop publishing…with participation depending on the student’s aptitude and previous record in other related courses.

ALL extra-curricular activities (sports, performances, clubs, competitions, practice, student government, whatever) will be before or after normal school hours, and in no case should take the place of normal subject material. This will include festival performances, parades and athletic competitions.

The closer a school can get to this ideal, the better the education will be (or at least the opportunity for education).

Edited by Headshot

cebubird

Well, we all KNOW that last part is total hogwash as they spend days at a time CLASSTIME "practicing" how to beat a bass drum--both at private and public.

• Like 1

Headshot

The above post is what somebody wrote up as an ideal curriculum for the Philippines. It has no relationship to what you will find in any given school here. However, it is the direction they need to move if the Philippines wants to advance. The fact that performances are often (if not always) ranked above basic education here is one of the main reasons the overall education system gets little respect. As far as I know, this curriculum doesn't exist in ANY school in the Philippines. However, if it did, I would certainly send my children there.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

ozboy

......add to that all the days off the kids get, it makes you wonder if they ever remember what they were taught the previous attending days....what happened to replacement teachers if the main one decides to have time off?   Well either you find out after you take the kid to school with no warning not to attend or the kid tells you that there's no school tomororrow....why?....I don't know!

smokey

We currently have our 3 year old in a nursery school(private)and I look at the classes of the older students, and I see a joke. Visited another private here that goes all the way to high school, and I see the same crap. Whole bunch of emphasis on "projects" "crap" entertainment

We pay for the kid to go 2 hours a day, then have to pay for a "watcher" for him-everyday "homework" crapfor a 3 year old, and wife is running to market tobuy junk every day for his "project homework".

Sat in a 5th grade class and out of 15 students, maybe 5, watching/listening to teacher. Kids squatting in their seats, babbling, sleeping, and this is a fee based private school.

I questioned the pastor/administrator where our kid is about some of their policies, and he said they have to do what dep ed tells them to do

There is a public school near us, and seems every day is entertainment and games.

I would think that any public school in an upscale neighborhood in ANY state in the US would be better than ANYthing offered here.

that says it all even in high school 

• Like 1

smokey

Has any of you ever thought of just creating your own school among members and other expats? homeschooling courses as well as SAT prep courses are all available on the Internet. you can have total control over the curriculum to be taught and the teachers to be hired. probably also cost you less money and a better ratio of students to teachers.

there you go you can start your own school and have a charge station for electric cars... ... ask the members who wants to invest maybe you can be the electric car king of cebu

Headshot

Well, we all KNOW that last part is total hogwash as they spend days at a time CLASSTIME "practicing" how to beat a bass drum--both at private and public.

While that is true in most cases, ask James if his son spent time learning how to beat a bass drum at the national science high school he attended, and ask those with kids at CIS, CIE and SHS Ateneo de Cebu if their kids spend much time doing that.

Edited by Headshot

smokey

While that is true in most cases, ask James if his son spent time learning how to beat a bass drum at the national science high school he attended, and ask those with kids at CIS, CIE and SHS Ateneo de Cebuif their kids spend much time doing that.

my kid had to buy a fencing sword and a violin and was MADE to be on the basketball team  he sucks at basketball,,,, pawned his violin and i took away the sword 

Edited by Headshot
Removed duplicate quote

cebubird

Seems like they look for reasons not to have school.

After the earthquake, I asked the head man at the school where our kid goes to nursery why they were closed so long, and his answer was"all public schools have to be closed so we just close too".

When it was time to pay following months fees, I balked at paying full amount since they CHOSE to shut down for 3 weeks. Naturally I just received the "filipino nod" and "sorry sir, full month pay required".

We had purchased some chairs for the school the previous month, so I said, "OK since you steal tuition money from me, I will take back some chairs to make up difference". And again, in typical "filipino "logic", they were fine with that.

They need a new a/c for one room and I offer to buy if they waive a corresponding amount of fees.------No sir cannot do. Go figure

smokey

Seems like they look for reasons not to have school.

After the earthquake, I asked the head man at the school where our kid goes to nursery why they were closed so long, and his answer was"all public schools have to be closed so we just close too".

When it was time to pay following months fees, I balked at paying full amount since they CHOSE to shut down for 3 weeks. Naturally I just received the "filipino nod" and "sorry sir, full month pay required".

We had purchased some chairs for the school the previous month, so I said, "OK since you steal tuition money from me, I will take back some chairs to make up difference". And again, in typical "filipino "logic", they were fine with that.

They need a new a/c for one room and I offer to buy if they waive a corresponding amount of fees.------No sir cannot do. Go figure

i got the same load of crap from smart...  what sir no internet for 3 weeks sir that was an act of god 

Edited by Headshot
Remove duplicate quote

Headshot

any school in America is better than the best private school (very expensive) in cebu.  

That is NOT true. Either you have no knowledge of the best schools in Cebu or you have no knowledge of the worst schools in the US.

Your ONLY chance of educating your kid is YOU be involved and teach att home to make up the woeful shortcomings of any school you send her/him to.  

That is true regardless of what country you live in. If you just drop your kids off at school and expect them to be educated without your help and support, you will be sorely disappointed. Parents who take an active part in their child's education will always get better results than those that don't...regardless of the school.

• Like 3

Headshot

my kid had to buy a fencing sword and a violin and was MADE to be on the basketball team  he sucks at basketball,,,, pawned his violin and i took away the sword 

Interesting. Our neighbor across the street has a boy in high school at SHS Ateneo de Cebu. His days are filled mostly with math, science, social studies, English and Mandarin. He brings home tons of homework every night, and doesn't have time for much else. I don't know if he was required to participate in the arts (like playing an instrument), but I have never heard him practicing or carrying an instrument case. It doesn't sound like you got your money's worth.

Edited by Headshot

senseless

Interesting. Our neighbor across the street has a boy in high school at SHS Ateneo de Cebu. His days are filled mostly with math, science, social studies, English and Mandarin. He brings home tons of homework every night, and doesn't have time for much else. I don't know if he was required to participate in the arts (like playing an instrument), but I have never heard him practicing or carrying an instrument case. It doesn't sound like you got your money's worth.

I know several people who've gone to Ateneo HS and College here in manila. They are more knowledgeable than your average Filipino, but still not up to my standards, or standards back home. Ateneo is probably the best of the worst as far as HS is concerned, and for college Ateneo or De La Salle. But don't think for a minute that graduating from the best school here is going to mean jack compared to the same education in AU, NZ, US, UK, etc.

As cheap as it is to go to "the best schools in the country", Maybe i should go back and get my masters and phD (not that it'd mean anything).

Edited by senseless