She runs as quiet as a church mouse.

Well, the pump I received on the 18th went into (temporary) service yesterday. I ran a temporary connection, in order to test the water system before the pipes were covered with cement. 

IMG_0299.jpg

Sweet! I think you will be very happy with this set-up! Let us know how the install went and your opinion of the pump when you get it up and running. Try not to run it below 12.3 volts (no load) if at all possible. 10-12 gauge wire is best especially for longer runs.

I ran #8 wire from the battery bus bars to the pump. The one thing I neglected to do, was to check the amperes it draws while running under a load. I will do that when I head back out to the farm this week. 

When I first ran the pump, I thought the dang thing was dead in the box. I didn't hear anything, so I disconnected the wires. I checked to make sure the ball valves were open, allowing water to flow from the storage tanks to the pump. Check. 

I went inside and connected it again. Finally, I heard water flowing from the shower junction to the floor. You just can barely hear the pump, but you have to listen closely to do so.

I am definitely impressed with the volume, the pressure, AND the low noise level. (I was less than two meters from the pump when it was running.)

I even installed a water meter to keep track of the volume (M3) of water we use each month. 

IMG_0306.jpg

Edited by Paul
sorted out some text.
  • Like 4
Brucewayne

12 volt pump?

Where can they be bought?

I have been looking for one of those ever since I arrived and was told I would have to buy the pump and motor separately.

12 volt pump?

Where can they be bought?

I have been looking for one of those ever since I arrived and was told I would have to buy the pump and motor separately.

Through a seller on eBay:

Purchase the pump here.

Purchase the strainer here.

If you contact them, they will ship both items together in a single box. It took 11 business days to receive mine.

IMG_0285b.jpg

I blocked out my mailing address to prevent Evan from sending me love letters, since he is so infatuated with me. :)

IMG_0278.jpg

More images posted in this thread: My Revolution Has Arrived

Grand Total: $148.35

That is, by far, the best deal I have found online. 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 2
Brucewayne

Through a seller on eBay:

Purchase the pump here.

Purchase the strainer here.

If you contact them, they will ship both items together in a single box. It took me 11 business days to receive mine.

More images posted in this thread: My Revolution Has Arrived

Grand Total: $148.35

That is, by far, the best deal I found online. 

Thanks, SHURflo has a really good reputation.

I didn't realize until just now that this was the brand you were talking about.

Thanks, SHURflo has a really good reputation.

I didn't realize until just now that this was the brand you were talking about.

No doubt. They do have a great reputation. But, I can say for sure, this pump makes no where NEAR the noise my old - I believe it was a 2008 or 2088 model did, in my camper back in the states. (I had a 31 food tagalong for a while.) I can't wait to test out my bum gun with it! :D

Oh, I went with number 8 awg wire, due to the distance from the batteries. I ran a 9 meter (~29.5 feet) length to the pump. With almost a 60 feet run round trip, I definitely did not want much voltage drop. Knowdafish made that clear in a post he made, prior to me installing the pump. He worked with Shurflo pumps (installing, maintenance, etc.) for many, many years. So, I figure he definitely knows what he is talkin' about. 

Edited by Paul

Always remember to crossfire, never a direct hit with a bum gun,

like compressed air, can cause a lot of damage

• Like 1
Brucewayne

I am planning on building a new house sometime in the coming year and want this pump as a transfer pump.

I will have my own well drilled and buy a small commercial drinking water station for personal use.

I will need the unit as a transfer pump and the fact that it is 12 volt means that my drinking water supply won't be affected by an electrical interruption.

I can hook a trickle charger to an automobile battery and power the pump with it at all times.

The water will be sent from a water tower to the house, gravity feed to the regular faucets and to the filtration system with the only difference being that there will be a special faucet for drinking water which will be attached to the filtration system so nobody is likely to waste my drinking water by bathing in it, etc.

My storage tank will have a one way valve on top (under pressure) that will only open inwardly to let air in so water can gravity feed to the house and a one way valve on the feed side of the tank at the bottom so water can't run back into the well from the tank when the power does go down.

I will build a basement made of steel cage and line the outer shell with hardiflex and cement so all will be hurricane resistant and have a gas powered generator to power LED lighting, a dehumidifier and my computer equipment so I can live a fairly normal life underground for weeks at a time if need be.

Down there, I will have a dry goods storage area, a small reefer and a water faucet for drinking.

Also a bedroom and bathroom (with regular water from the tower), so I think I can do pretty well even in the worst of time (I hope).

I will also have a small electric hot plate to cook on and a kitchen sink.

I figure and area of about 12' x 40' would be adequate and with a small exhaust fanat one end and a vent at the other, I should be able to breathe under normal circumstances.

Always remember to crossfire, never a direct hit with a bum gun,

like compressed air, can cause a lot of damage

These pumps are adjustable. If I find it is pumping too much pressure, I can adjust it down. The problem for me is (as you can see in the attached image), the bypass has to be adjusted as well. I would have to try to locate a good water pressure meter. From the things I have had to source here thus far, that will probably be another imported item.

pressure-bypass-adjustment.jpg

I am planning on building a new house sometime in the coming year and want this pump as a transfer pump.

I will have my own well drilled and buy a small commercial drinking water station for personal use.

I will need the unit as a transfer pump and the fact that it is 12 volt means that my drinking water supply won't be affected by an electrical interruption.

I can hook a trickle charger to an automobile battery and power the pump with it at all times.

The water will be sent from a water tower to the house, gravity feed to the regular faucets and to the filtration system with the only difference being that there will be a special faucet for drinking water which will be attached to the filtration system so nobody is likely to waste my drinking water by bathing in it, etc.

My storage tank will have a one way valve on top (under pressure) that will only open inwardly to let air in so water can gravity feed to the house and a one way valve on the feed side of the tank at the bottom so water can't run back into the well from the tank when the power does go down.

I will build a basement made of steel cage and line the outer shell with hardiflex and cement so all will be hurricane resistant and have a gas powered generator to power LED lighting, a dehumidifier and my computer equipment so I can live a fairly normal life underground for weeks at a time if need be.

Down there, I will have a dry goods storage area, a small reefer and a water faucet for drinking.

Also a bedroom and bathroom (with regular water from the tower), so I think I can do pretty well even in the worst of time (I hope).

I will also have a small electric hot plate to cook on and a kitchen sink.

I figure and area of about 12' x 40' would be adequate and with a small exhaust fanat one end and a vent at the other, I should be able to breathe under normal circumstances.

I'm not sure where, in line, that you intend to pipe this pump? If it is merely for transferring water from one tank to another, I would suggest looking at one with a higher duty cycle. OR, at least purchase a heat sink that is made for these pumps. They are not intended for continuous duty. 

SkyMan

Looks like the strainer is on the output of the pump, is that right?

Looks like the strainer is on the output of the pump, is that right?

No. It's on the suction side of the pump. Going from the tanks, through the meter, through the strainer to the pump, and on to the CR. 

• Like 1
SkyMan

Ok, looked like a tank output on the left, my bad.

Brucewayne

These pumps are adjustable. If I find it is pumping too much pressure, I can adjust it down. The problem for me is (as you can see in the attached image), the bypass has to be adjusted as well. I would have to try to locate a good water pressure meter. From the things I have had to source here thus far, that will probably be another imported item.

attachicon.gifpressure-bypass-adjustment.jpg

I'm not sure where, in line, that you intend to pipe this pump? If it is merely for transferring water from one tank to another, I would suggest looking at one with a higher duty cycle. OR, at least purchase a heat sink that is made for these pumps. They are not intended for continuous duty. 

Actually the tanks will be personal use size, appx.25 gallons and won't be used constantly, but I will have to have the water under pressure, appx.30-35psi so I can pipe it into different areas of the house as drinking water.

The gravity feed from the Water Cow will feed into the first tank, then the pump can pump it through two sets of filters and into a pressure tank to be sent on for household use.

One faucet at or near the pressure tank, one in the kitchen and one to a drinking station in the pool/rec area.

I wasn't going to at first. But, now I think I am going to put a set of filters on the water going into the house.