Sign in to follow this  
Wolfpack

Marco Polo Plaza Cebu (Christmas 2013)

Wolfpack

Marco Polo had a couple different packages available for Christmas...

we took the prepaid room voucher for 2800 per night...times 2 nights...

normal check in is 2 PM...they did allow us to check in at noon...previously, they would not allow us to do that on our last visit there...

they had a play room available for the kids...9 am to 9 pm...someone has to remain with the kids though, so this is not like free baby sitting...

dinner buffet was 1750 per person...2 of my kids ate free...they charge about half price for the 5 year old...that turned 6 at midnight...

the turkey and mashed were great...which I was happy about...turkey and mashed at waterfront on thanksgiving...was not so great...

they made a Baked Alaska up for our table...I heard it was available on the internet, you had to ask though...there was no additional charge...

eggnog was available but at an extra charge...

Santa was there giving out free stuff...they had a choir singing around 730 which you could hear in the dinning area...that was cool...

they had a band playing poolside...after dinner, we headed there...they still served us free drinks for paying for the buffet inside, when we went poolside...that was cool too...

we chose not to do the buffet the second night we were there...kids wanted Jollibee...so we took the free transportation provided by the hotel to SM Mall...big mistake...never saw any mall so packed in all my life...so we decided on takeout, since we could not find a seat at Jollibee...Marco Polo has a policy against bringing in outside food...there was a slight hassle before the hotel GM stepped in and said it is Christmas...and waived that policy...

overall, Marco Polo exceeded my expectations...I highly recommend spending Christmas there...I have been outside the states for over a dozen Christmas in my life...this was my best experience ever (outside the USA)...

post-15535-0-61061800-1388042189_thumb.jpg

post-15535-0-63242600-1388042222_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

PeteHK

Just back from enjoying the lunch buffet at the Marco Polo.  P937 plus tax each.  Surprisingly quiet with plenty of vacant tables.  Loads of food as usual with a very good range of choices.  Service was very good too.  Seemed to be very few foreign tourists in the Café.  After lunch we had a coffee out by the pool.  Nice atmosphere and not hot there at all.  Altogether a very pleasant couple of hours.    

• Like 1

Detour

Sounds like you both had a good time there. :-)

I'll have to make an accusation of it next year.

I was happly handing out food to the street people. :-))

• Like 1

Monsoon

we chose not to do the buffet the second night we were there...kids wanted Jollibee...so we took the free transportation provided by the hotel to SM Mall...big mistake...never saw any mall so packed in all my life...so we decided on takeout, since we could not find a seat at Jollibee...Marco Polo has a policy against bringing in outside food...there was a slight hassle before the hotel GM stepped in and said it is Christmas...and waived that policy...

-1 for Marco Polo. No hotel of the class it holds itself out as should ever restrict a guest wanting to bring whatever they want to eat into the privacy of their own room. I have lived in hotels for months on end and believe me you get sick of the food there and sometimes you just don't want to go out. Every hotel should not only allow you to bring in what you want, but allow deliveries from outside sources as well. 

+1 on the manager for making a decision. Sure is a rarity here. 

• Like 3

Skywalker

Marco Polo perhaps didn't want Jollibee being consumed in the public area, out of bags?

The only foodstuff most hotels in the region are sometimes snotty about is Durian.  Tastes delicious but the smell can be its handicap. 

Wolfpack

Marco Polo perhaps didn't want Jollibee being consumed in the public area, out of bags?

The only foodstuff most hotels in the region are sometimes snotty about is Durian.  Tastes delicious but the smell can be its handicap. 

we were not looking to consume it at the pool...we were looking to take it to our room, private like...

I have never heard of such a policy at a hotel...never...and I have been to 100's of hotels all over the world...I thought they were kidding and I laughed at the person telling me this at first...and offered him a doughnut...

• Like 1

Rocketman

I stayed at Marco Polo for a month before I moved into my condo.  Absolutely loved it there!  When I was working I traveled a lot - 1200+ nights in Marriott plus other hotels.  Marco Polo offered me a discount for a long stay (over 15 nights) with executive lounge access.  Especially considering it being located in the Philippines, the service was the best I've ever had.  I left something in my room and remembered it 3 weeks after I left.  They had it for me and when I went back to pick it up, the front desk people and the bellhops all still remembered my name!!!  Simply amazing!  The Marriott is nice too, but nowhere near as welcoming as Marco Polo, in my experience.

• Like 1

Monsoon

From what I can see the new residences there are going to share the same pool area. That will be a negative in the future. 

Headshot

Daniel, it looks like Lukas and his parents joined you at the Marco Polo. I hope that you all had a very merry Christmas.

• Like 1

Wolfpack

Daniel, it looks like Lukas and his parents joined you at the Marco Polo. I hope that you all had a very merry Christmas.

yes, they also stayed the night at Marco Polo, joined us for the buffet dinner and we all went to the McDonald's near the hotel that has a play area on Christmas Day...

Lukas has a birthday coming up January 24th...a party is being planned on a weekend around then (he will be 4), heard the women discussing that...

it is always nice to get the kids together to play...Lucas might only be 3 but he has the energy level of a 6 year old...very active at both the hotel play area and McDonald's...also mixing in with the other kids they never met before quite well...

very enjoyable Christmas Eve and Christmas Day...

• Like 1