Sign in to follow this  
Cyclone

Sinulog 2014 - Is it worth going too?

SkyMan

All of you, must have been there once...otherwise you can not make your comments...so if you have not been there...yes, it's worth it...one time.. :cool:

But I wasn't a member of this forum then.

If you like Philippine culture it is one of the best events to attend. Maybe only second to the procession of the Black Nazarene in the Quiapo district of Manila on January 9th.

Another good way to lose a wallet and/or cell phone and worship another idol. I think I'd like to go to the Masskara Festival in Bacolod but I'd want to research it first.

Guy60417

I went last year and enjoyed it tremendously -- living just off Fuente made it easy to get to and escape from when needed. The crowds can be almost frightening; I got caught in one on Juana Osmena in front of Baseline that was very scary -- totally unable to move.

Not sure if I'd do it again, but I might ... definitely worth doing once and maybe worth a repeat or two.

tomaw

I went to it 9 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I guess the parade part of it could be compared to something like the Rose Parade in Pasadena California. However I don't particularly like going to the Rose Parade but I loved Sinulog! Well to be honest, the last time I went to the Rose Parade it was part of my job and a total headache. The last time I was at Sinulog I was on vacation, had lots of money and 8 girls with me! Ya, that might have something to do with why I liked it more! LOL !!!

Edited by tomaw

mrlondon

Here is the info to register for the photography contest

Having the contest badge allowed you to go in and out of the parade route, so you don't have to be like douchebags who feel they can go in and out of the roped off area because of they are entitled to. 

RE: Photo contest application. Which category or categories should one tick ? Is it ok to you tick them all, but only show up to some of them?

Also, what is the prize?

Categories*

1 Contingent 
2 Fluvial/Solemn Procession 
3 Float/Higante/Puppeteers 
4 Sidelights/Route Decor/On Site Decor 
5 Sinulog Festival Queen
Edited by mrlondon

Brucewayne

I hate crowds, so for me the answer is no.

I have been there twice and will never go back.

Davaoeno

I hate crowds, so for me the answer is no.

I have been there twice and will never go back.

Given that its interesting that after going there once you made the decision to go back a second time

Brucewayne

Given that its interesting that after going there once you made the decision to go back a second time

It wasn't my decision, I was tricked.

The wife asked me to go to church with her and we were nearly half way there before I realized she had fooled me into going to Sinulog.

Long story, but needless to say, she doesn't try to trick me into anything anymore.

• Like 1

D_D

RE: Photo contest application. Which category or categories should one tick ? Is it ok to you tick them all, but only show up to some of them?

Also, what is the prize?

Categories*

1 Contingent 
2 Fluvial/Solemn Procession 
3 Float/Higante/Puppeteers 
4 Sidelights/Route Decor/On Site Decor 
5 Sinulog Festival Queen

I guess just check one category. ( I don't sign up online, I sign up in person at the Sports Complex ). 

I don't know what the prize is. I don't care about the prize because I only join to get the photographers lanyard and badge, so I can go in and out of the security ropes. 

Half Baked

she doesn't try to trick me into anything anymore

My wife had to learn the hard way, too.

I guess just check one category. ( I don't sign up online, I sign up in person at the Sports Complex ). 

I don't know what the prize is. I don't care about the prize because I only join to get the photographers lanyard and badge, so I can go in and out of the security ropes. 

I didn't see a price on the first page.

How much is the entry fee usually?

Davaoeno

Brucewayne, on 26 Dec 2013 - 07:49 AM, said: she doesn't try to trick me into anything anymore   My wife had to learn the hard way, too

Sinulog only happens once a year and I find it sad that your wives would even  have to resort to trickery to get you to take them .  Sure its crowded- but isnt making her happy worth it ?  How many days a year does she do things she isnt crazy about to please you ?

Brucewayne

Sinulog only happens once a year and I find it sad that your wives would even  have to resort to trickery to get you to take them .  Sure its crowded- but isnt making her happy worth it ?  How many days a year does she do things she isnt crazy about to please you ?

No, it isn't worth it.

I don't force her to do anything she doesn't want to do and she should show the same respect for me, which she does now.

• Like 1

Half Baked

I was talking about just using trickery in general to get me to do something.

I don't force her to do anything she doesn't want to do and she should show the same respect for me

Well put, Bruce.

Brucewayne

I was talking about just using trickery in general to get me to do something.

Well put, Bruce.

I could have phrased it differently, but that would not have put my poor, naive wife in a bad light and made me sound like a heartless, uncaring beast.

• Like 1

D_D

How much is the entry fee usually?

Past years it was around P1500. I try to wait before I go there to buy my badge so I can get badge number 666 ! 

But I know some guys feel that is a lot and don't need to buy a badge because they will go where they want, when they want, ignoring the security ropes. So this year I will take pictures of those douchbags and enter them into the contest. 

jtmwatchbiz

growing up as a poor black child in alabama my aunt gemima used to tell me "always eat your greens and stay away from sinulog". 

post-4506-0-22442300-1388017513_thumb.jpg

Edited by jtmwatchbiz
  • Like 2