Sign in to follow this  
Cyclone

Sinulog 2014 - Is it worth going too?

Cyclone

I am thinking about coming into Cebu on the 19th to see the Grand Parade. I imagine traffic is going to be headache, is it worth it?  Thanks in advance.

D_D

Yes

I think it is one of the best events in the Philippines. 

Great for pictures and worth buying a photography contest badge even if you are not going to submit photos for the event, but just to use for more access to the parade route. I don't mind also donating to the contest by paying for the badge. 

Yes for sure traffic is bad, so try to stay as close as possible with in walking distance to the parade route. 

They call it the Mardi Gras of the Philippines, but anyone who thinks that obviously never been to New Orleans. 

I will be there, let me know if you want to meet up. 

• Like 1

D_D

Here is the info to register for the photography contest

Having the contest badge allowed you to go in and out of the parade route, so you don't have to be like douchebags who feel they can go in and out of the roped off area because of they are entitled to. 

Half Baked

is it worth it?

No.

• Like 5

woodchopper

what streets is the route?

SomeRandomGuy

do not take a phone or wallet. If u take your camera make sure u have a hold of it the whole time.

Last year I told to new guys if they go to sinulog not to take their phones or wallet... ran into the same two guys later that week asking me for my phone number again as well u guessed it.. their phones went walk about from their pockets.

It is worth the look, try to get a hotel close to the activities as it is a pain to get taxi or jeepney during and after the event.

• Like 1

D_D

what streets is the route?

Sinulog Map

I will go to the Basilica at 5:00 am for the Pontifical Mass and if you plan the same, do not plan on getting out of there until after 7:30 because everyone is walking to the Basilica and it is VERY crowded. 

Then I spend most of my time and taking pictures around the Fuente circle. 

Edited by D_D

Monsoon

Sinulog is a great reason to get out of Cebu not go to it. There is nothing to see. Unless you like incapacitating crowds that bring everything to a grind, being trampled by screaming school girls as they try to catch a glimpse of some F list nobody  actor from Manila who also happens to be a singer of cover tunes and spokesperson for whitening cream. 

• Like 7

BlueFin

Not for me, I prefer to leave Cebu city just before and come back about 1 week after the festival.

• Like 2

Reynaldo

No, just a big cluster f**k.

• Like 1

SkyMan

Not my cup of tea.  Watch on TV if you're interested a while.  I've had enough of plastic doll worship.

• Like 3

Raven

All of you, must have been there once...otherwise you can not make your comments...so if you have not been there...yes, it's worth it...one time.. :cool:

D_D

All of you, must have been there once...otherwise you can not make your comments...so if you have not been there...yes, it's worth it...one time.. :cool:

I have been going for years and plan on going every year. So I don't know why you guys don't like it. 

If you like Philippine culture it is one of the best events to attend. Maybe only second to the procession of the Black Nazarene in the Quiapo district of Manila on January 9th. 

You don't need friends or family to enjoy the event. I go every year by myself and have a really good time. 

Raven

I have been going for years and plan on going every year. So I don't know why you guys don't like it. 

If you like Philippine culture it is one of the best events to attend. Maybe only second to the procession of the Black Nazarene in the Quiapo district of Manila on January 9th. 

You don't need friends or family to enjoy the event. I go every year by myself and have a really good time. 

If I was in Cebu, I check it out again...first time there was 1989 ... not been there since 96.... at least one time visit is a must

• Like 1

D_D

If I was in Cebu, I check it out again...first time there was 1989 ... not been there since 96.... at least one time visit is a must

I understand some guys don't like crowds, but the info I gave to get a photographers pass makes a big difference. 

Of course you will see people going past the security ropes thinking that rules don't apply to them because they are gods gift to the world.

I like music and parades, but it is also the entire week event that I enjoy. So the Sunday Grand Parade if just the icing on the cake of ending one of the best festivals in my opinion. 

Most people just think of Sinulog as the Sunday Grand Parade, but there are also other events all week that are not sanctioned by the church but tie into Cebu tourism make the festival worth attending even if you don't attend the Sunday Grand Parade. 

There are street music events, most bars and clubs do special events, restaurants do special dinners, beauty pageants. car and motorcycle shows.

Christmas and New Years Eve in Cebu is a snore-fest. The Sinulog Festival is fun ! 

Edited by D_D
  • Like 1