Sign in to follow this  
rainymike

Christmas Dinner

rainymike

Well, I messed up on Thanksgiving, but there were enough Christmas reminders so that I didn't forget that. Here is what we have planned ... just for our family.

Ham. One of those small Virginia hams. Will toss in oven covered with pineapple juice, mustard and brown sugar. Sadly could not find any cloves at the market today. Decided to make it mildly spicy with a little hot sauce instead.

Chicken. Thighs. Will marinate in a Korean sauce and sesame oil. If I had the time, I'd barbecue, but it will get the oven treatment instead.

Rice.

Fruit Salad.

Wine. Zinfandel (I'd prefer a Merlot, but the partner prefers something more fruity. Couldn't find a Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill for her ... lol).

• Like 1

liquido

Ham. One of those small Virginia hams. Will toss in oven covered with pineapple juice, mustard and brown sugar. Sadly could not find any cloves at the market today. Decided to make it mildly spicy with a little hot sauce instead

God those compressed Virginia hams that hide behind that name to make it sound imported from USA if I remember correctly are awful tasting(vegatarian now)..I know not much choice..You would think with all the pigs there in the RP that they could make hams worthy to eat......

• Like 2

Headshot

Well, I messed up on Thanksgiving, but there were enough Christmas reminders so that I didn't forget that. Here is what we have planned ... just for our family.

Ham. One of those small Virginia hams. Will toss in oven covered with pineapple juice, mustard and brown sugar. Sadly could not find any cloves at the market today. Decided to make it mildly spicy with a little hot sauce instead.

Chicken. Thighs. Will marinate in a Korean sauce and sesame oil. If I had the time, I'd barbecue, but it will get the oven treatment instead.

Rice.

Fruit Salad.

Wine. Zinfandel (I'd prefer a Merlot, but the partner prefers something more fruity. Couldn't find a Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill for her ... lol).

It sounds like your menu is going to be similar to ours this year. With the exception of the ham I will roast in the oven, we will be using the grill for our meats (chicken and fish). Rice and fruit salad are staple party foods here. On wine, you could always get her some Novellino. It is the favorite sweet wine here, and is about the same quality as Boones Farm.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

rfm010

Couldn't find a Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill for her ...

my father in law has probably bought up all the stock.  it's a christmas and new years tradition with him.

• Like 1

rainymike

God those compressed Virginia hams that hide behind that name to make it sound imported from USA if I remember correctly are awful tasting(vegatarian now)

Yeah, Virginia hams are not what I'm used to. S&R actually had some decent looking hams. But traffic was really bad and finding a taxi was not easy. We did all are shopping at one place and didn't bother to shop around. Anyway, the kids like the ham, and that's what this was about anyway.

As for Strawberry Hill, I'm not a big fan now, but remember it as great stuff when I was in my college years ... lol.

spritsail

I got a ham leg.7kg @ 1200 pho in the market for roasting as crackling ham, and 3 kg beef for 730 peso  for Sauerbraten - its been in the marinate for 2 days already and ready tomorrow for a 3 hour slow pot cooking. Hope my german guests like it. Made a dozen christmas puds with a couple of Aunt Bettys that arrived from australia, mince pies, (the mincemeat fruit has been soaking in a rum marinate for 10 days), sausage rolls made with filo pastry (paratha from Robinsons) and bacon/sausage rolls.  

• Like 2

CardiacKid

SOS here. Lechon with all the B.S. that goes with it. About 25 relatives to make sure there's no leftovers. Except for the macaroni salad and fruit salad, having everything catered. Wife at 60 too old to cook for the tribe. Will be glad to get back to the U.S. where a couple of Hungry Man Turkey dinners will suffice.

BossHog

Jamon de Cagayan from CDO is the ham to be on the lookout for.

Prolly the best store bought ham in d'Phils.

udonthani

toast and peanut butter.

chicken and rice.

pancit.

seasonal p*ssy throughout, to taste.

• Like 1

SomeRandomGuy

white russian mix...check

Lamb check

seafood check

movies to waste the day away check

its great not having kids

• Like 1

GoHuk

Cold roast turkey.

Honey baked ham from Santis delicatessen (none of this compressed regurgitated stuff for us :acute:).

Cold roast leg of pork with crackling (my wife bought one weighing 11 Kg this year - it's in the oven now and has been for some time.)

Green salad.

Potato salad.

Pasta (they always seem to want pasta).

Apple sauce, cranberry sauce, chestnut sauce, pickled onions, etc.

Date cake (home made) with custard.

Australian Semillion Chardonnay and an Italian Chianti.

Won't need to eat again until February.

Edited by GoHuk
  • Like 1

Durham

Roast Beef with roast and mashed potatoes, brussel sprouts,cabbage,carrots and crispy Yorkshire puddings.

Fruit salad to follow.

• Like 2

Ozbrum

Roast Beef with roast and mashed potatoes, brussel sprouts,cabbage,carrots and crispy Yorkshire puddings.

Fruit salad to follow.

f ***** i can't wait..... :yahoo:

Monsoon

We're popping around the corner for turkey, ham, stuffing and all the trimmings for 650P.

jtmwatchbiz

from what i can gather, my wife will be making BBQ ribs, some kind of BBQ shrimp, the proper tri-state style tomato meat sauce my mom taught her served with rigatoni, home-made bread rolls and a couple of pies for desert.