The best motorcycle…

CebuKano

The replacement bikes for the YBR look gay and uncomfortable for touring. I guess Yamaha is trying to get more of the younger market by putting all the "bling" on them. Bummer. :(

• Like 2
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ronin

• Monsoon

• Irenicus

• CebuKano

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My choice would be a Yamaha YBR125G.   (59k iirc)

I think riding in the west was perfect preparation for here.   Not on the streets but in an sandpit that everyone went to ride their dirt bikes.   Many beginners there so the rule was ride like yo

I second that.  Great bike for commuting and rough roads.  They stopped making them after 2012, so if you can get a low milage, well maintained used bike, you can't go wrong.  It gets over 90 miles pe

Posted Images

The replacement bikes for the YBR look gay and uncomfortable for touring.

I rented a YBR many times and owned a FZ16.

They're very similar in seating position.  The YBR has a plusher seat but the FZ was not uncomfortable at all, for me or my passenger.  The FZ was better for street riding as long as the road was not too rough.  On rough roads, the YBR wins hands down.

Here's a good site that lets you compare relative seating positions of different bikes: http://cycle-ergo.com/

For a commuter bike I would go with the YBR, having said that, I enjoyed the FZ more due to the crisper handling and better acceleration (as much as 150cc can provide).

The SZ16 is an economical version of the FZ16.  I have no experience with that one but I imagine it's similar to the FZ16 in most regards.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Loved my YBR. Can't believe they stopped selling it already. Got mine when they first came out and it was in the mid P60k. Had to sell it after my illness. It had less than 2,000 km on it. Sold it for P45k.

Dumaguete 016 11-16-2010.jpg

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 2
CebuKano

Beautiful bike Salty. Sorry you had to sell it. Someone got a hell of a deal

I'm just waiting on the shop to prep my YBR, which I just paid 58,000 for in Baybay, Leyte. Looks exactly like Salty's. I was originally shopping around for a CB110, because I thought they weren't selling YBR's anymore. Found one last one in a shop in Baybay and snapped it up. I wasn't even sure if that was a good price, but since it was cheaper than a CB110, I went for it. Seems its on par with what other members paid, so I'm pretty happy right now. Especially with the reviews you guys have given the bike. Can't wait to ride her back to Ormoc.  

Irenicus

I'm just waiting on the shop to prep my YBR, which I just paid 58,000 for in Baybay, Leyte. Looks exactly like Salty's. I was originally shopping around for a CB110, because I thought they weren't selling YBR's anymore. Found one last one in a shop in Baybay and snapped it up. I wasn't even sure if that was a good price, but since it was cheaper than a CB110, I went for it. Seems its on par with what other members paid, so I'm pretty happy right now. Especially with the reviews you guys have given the bike. Can't wait to ride her back to Ormoc.  

I am picking up my YBR125G tomorrow.  There are some sexier bikes for a few thousand more but the simple and practical nature of the YBR outweighs all else.

Plus, I got enough sexy in spades already.  

Vroom Vroom!

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

This is the best motorcycle IMO. From a value, bang for the buck prospective.

I have on on order and will likely dump my Harley onto the dwindling resale market in the spring. Just wish it didn't come standard with those studs on the seat.

Drove their whole line up at two different events in the States this past summer. Good stuff. Harley has a lot of catching up to do. 

PS - The YBR is a decent bike. I would have one if I needed a cheap run around bike here. 

• Like 1

This is the best motorcycle IMO. From a value, bang for the buck prospective.

I have on on order and will likely dump my Harley onto the dwindling resale market in the spring. Just wish it didn't come standard with those studs on the seat.

Drove their whole line up at two different events in the States this past summer. Good stuff. Harley has a lot of catching up to do.

Those new Indian bikes look nice. It is good to see Polaris/Victory take over and bring them back.

Chief Classic...

7EkF8uK.jpg

gP54FAJ.jpg

Edited by T.S.

the simple and practical nature of the YBR outweighs all else.

I thought the same, then within less than 2 months was very bored, so sold my brand new simple and practical (and hideously ugly) Honda XRM 125 at 650km for something that oozes sex, unique, fun to ride and just as good 'round town.  After nearly 7 years here of 'blending in' as best as I can, was time to treat myself with a nice toy and to hell with what the conservative elements think.   Road ends into a stoney bumpy track?  Turn round and go the other way!

I like those Indian bikes. 100% import duty in the hand of some official?  Can't think they'd be much fun around town, it's almost a two wheel car,  but highway touring I imagine those types of bikes can't be beat.  No need for an aftermarket exhaust so people can hear you coming a mile away, either.

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Yea the stock exhaust is pretty throaty on them. One of the things that really impressed me was how much bike you get for $21,000. Unlike Harley who nickels and dimes the shit out of you for accessories and tuning parts. I spent $19k on a new Fat boy lo this past summer and put another $3k into primary upgrades. And it's nowhere near the bike that Indian gives you stock. Shit Harley wants $2k for their saddle bags for my bike. Oh lets not forget about the $1000 aftermarket seat I put on since the stock seat is the most uncomfortable piece of shit ever. 

Also sick of the never ending bullshit that you need to dp with every mod. Things like turn signal relocation kits, why not do some real engineering? What really pissed me off and became my final straw with them was I put a brand new sissy bar on just to attach their own overpriced luggage to my bike for a 3000 mile trip and their bags tore my sissy bar pad. Nobody would take care of this. So over a $100 sissy bar pad they have lost a customer for life.

The Indian is well engineered. Harley just keeps putting patchwork on an old, tired design. Their lack of engineering they call this, "Heritage" at Harley. I call it shit. With the profit margins they make they should be on the cutting edge of everything that is motorcycle. Instead the competition is doing this for them. Not to mention many Harley dealers have become nothing but two bit thieves. All the Indian dealers I've met gave you that small town feel. My Indian dealer has told me he would pick up my bike and trailer to the shop for all service. Try getting a HD dealer to do anything special for you HA HA HA. Special means get your wallet out. The Indian dealer I ordered mine from felt more like a riding pal. We took his bikes on a 4 hour ride together before I gave him any money. 

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 2

My 86 Wide glide hasn't seen a dealership in 15 years. Charge me 300$ for basicly a oil change and maybe gear oil change. Kiss my ass Harley or any other rip off dealership. They all make their money in the shop not selling you the bike or car.

If you don't have saddle time already I'd question the need to start riding now in a place where Life Flight, enforced traffic laws, and common sense while driving are nearly non-existent.

Having said that, if I were going to have any bike I wanted for over there, Kawasaki KLR650 by a landslide.

If you don't have saddle time already I'd question the need to start riding now in a place where Life Flight, enforced traffic laws, and common sense while driving are nearly non-existent.

An opposite viewpoint from that is with riding/driving being such a slow pace when compared to our home countries, it is overall much safer to be a biker here, IMO.  Also, with so many other bikes and trikes on the road, you are not as invisible as much as you are in the west, where bikes are a small minority of vehicles on the road. At least, where I'm from they are.  

Just my opinion, I think learning to ride here will better prepare you for riding in the west (from an anticipation of stupid road users point of view) than learning in the west will prepare you for riding here.  There may be enforced laws in the west, but it only takes one incident where someone is not following them to outright end your riding days, or life.  Motorcycle death statistics in the west prove it's not exactly safe.    Here, you expect everyone on the road to do something stupid.  You just need to know what you are getting into before you jump on a bike. Learn the roads as a passenger.  A newbie to the Philippines/South east Asia jumping on a bike on day two after he slept off his jet lag?  Bad idea.

Saying that, I wouldn't ride in Cebu City or any major city here. Too many cars and other large vehicles.

• Like 2

I think riding in the west was perfect preparation for here.

Not on the streets but in an sandpit that everyone went to ride their dirt bikes.

Many beginners there so the rule was ride like you're invisible and expect the unexpected.

• Like 3

Yamaha YBR 125G is my choice. They are still available at DES Marketing, Cebu and Lapu Lapu for P58,800 on the road with 12 months warranty, rego and insurance. They will even throw in a free helmet.