The best motorcycle…

miles-high

What make/model motorcycle the best motorcycle for “commuting”?

About 125 to 150cc, PHP65,000 +/- 10k… "new"

I don’t know anything about motorcycle and talking to the local guys no help… ;)

It’s for a local Filipino worker who is riding motorcycles for 20+ years with 10+ year old motorcycle…

Thanks… :)

• Like 1
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ronin

• Monsoon

• Irenicus

• CebuKano

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My choice would be a Yamaha YBR125G.   (59k iirc)

I think riding in the west was perfect preparation for here.   Not on the streets but in an sandpit that everyone went to ride their dirt bikes.   Many beginners there so the rule was ride like yo

I second that.  Great bike for commuting and rough roads.  They stopped making them after 2012, so if you can get a low milage, well maintained used bike, you can't go wrong.  It gets over 90 miles pe

Posted Images

The Honda XRM is a very popular choice at about 65k new.

• Like 2

I don't know if it's still available but a few years ago I bought a Dayang bike. It was php 46k for cash & in spec it was heads above the Hondas & Suzuki bikes. It had the honda licensed engine & front & rear disc brakes, it also had mono shock rear suspension. I liked it a lot but after 2 accidents & serious gravel rash I gave up riding bikes in Cebu & Naga. I sold it to a friend of Paul's & as far as I'm aware it's still going strong as I only used it for 4 months of the year when I was in country. I was gonna rent it out to the habal x2 riders at the bottom of the road but decided against it. Just my tuppence worth

Mandingo

My choice would be a Yamaha YBR125G.

(59k iirc)

For every day putting around the YBR is hard to beat......mine has 12,000 km on it and is driven up and down a mountain every day and still runs great. Other than a set of tires, chain and sprocket and normal maintenance stuff I have not had to do anything to it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

For every day putting around the YBR is hard to beat

The seat is so plush it's like sitting on a couch, bonus it handles two up very well.

• Like 2
CebuKano

For every day putting around the YBR is hard to beat......mine has 12,000 km on it and is driven up and down a mountain every day and still runs great. Other than a set of tires, chain and sprocket and normal maintenance stuff I have not had to do anything to it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Same here. I bought my YBR used and it's a great bike for commuting or touring. Durable and easy to maintain. I like the fifth gear also. I've only changed the chain/sprockets also shortly after I bought it and other than a battery and oil/tuneups, new back tire, it's been going non-stop.

• Like 1

I'll give the YBR  a :thumbsup:  I bought mine about 3 months ago. Been good little bike. Right in your price range. I got mine for 59000 in Moal Boal. Priced them in Car Car for 70000. So shop around before you buy.

David_LivinginTalisay

Is the Yamaha YBR125G still available from Yamaha?

ybr125g_color_red01.jpg

I think it has been replaced by the FZ 16 or the new SZ16?

yamahafz16_b.jpg

064412995_063833835cedc8da51971f1a96afbf
021251834_0211226798b8c1e5967d081fa8b60f

Clearly the FZ16 and the new SZ16 are not really same type of motorcycle, as the YBR125G was, as they are more street biased.

MT Motorcycle

Personally, I would suggest considering a new 200cc Motorcycle, in that budget range:-

They are still available in the Yamaha shops.

my second choice for the op would be the sz16

David_LivinginTalisay

They are still available in the Yamaha shops.

my second choice for the op would be the sz16

I am in China, so unable to determine if any Yamaha Motorcycle Dealers still have stock of YBR125G.  

There is/was a good examples of nearly new YBR125G on AyosDito.ph however, as I posted in another Thread recently.

There is no mention of of YBR125G on the Yamaha Philippines website anymore.

I agree that the new SZ16  is more practical than the FZ 16 for 'commuting' for following reasons:-

• Less sporty - lower tuned engine (12.1ps rather than 14ps) = better fuel economy and longer engine life typically
  • Higher Ratio 5th Gear (0.916 rather than 0.875) = less rpm, less wear on engine and better fuel ecconomy.
  • Fully enclosed chain-guard (as opposed to partially enclosed on the FZ16) = less maintenance and longer chain life)
  • Longer/wider seat = more room /comfort
  • Gear-change - heel-n-toe type = less wear on the upper left shoe

On the negative side. it is taller Seat Height @ 802mm (compared to FZ16's 790mm, 1/2" difference approx)!

The SZ16 is also a bit heavier with dry weight of 133kg (compared to FZ16 @ 126Kg so 7kg difference)

064412995_063833835cedc8da51971f1a96afbf

• Like 2
Irenicus

I am in China, so unable to determine if any Yamaha Motorcycle Dealers still have stock of YBR125G.

YBR is out of production but is still in some sales locations.  SZ-R is it's replacement - has 1 hp more, lower top speed and around 8-10 KM/L worse gas mileage.

I got to get off my ass and buy the last 125G here in Duma or someone else is gonna get it.

woodchopper

I have an SZ16 and am quite happy with it,,i paid in the order of K68p.

However,,a mate of mine recently got a Kawasaki 180 for about K70p,,its a nice bike to ride also.

My ony advice would be stick 2 old brand names and avoid the problems of chinese parts unavailability and lower resale value,,if the needs arises?

Good thing you don't have to.  I just posted that they are still available.

I don't think the reasons you gave for the SZ being more practical are really that significant.

Also, I'm pretty sure the seats are the same size, they made them wider on the 2012 models.

The FZ16 has more robust rear suspension - better for fat kanos.

One thing you didn't mention that is important is the FZ is around 40k more and clearly out of the OP's price range.

Btw, here's a picture of MY prior FZ fully loaded for a two up trip...

post-8276-0-56895100-1387783403_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

My choice would be a Yamaha YBR125G.

(59k iirc)

I second that.  Great bike for commuting and rough roads.  They stopped making them after 2012, so if you can get a low milage, well maintained used bike, you can't go wrong.  It gets over 90 miles per gallon.  I bought mine for 63k in September 2012.  The Honda XRM125 bike is also very good bike.  The advantage the Yamaha has over the Honda is the increased width of the wheel size and its stronger build, 13 liter tank size.  It makes a difference to have more tread on the road and more range.  I believe the Yahmaha weighs more due to the stronger frame.  I am sure you would be happy with either bike.  If you have a desire to off road a bit, then I suggest the Yamaha over the Honda.  Strictly road usage, then the Honda is probably better.  Also, the Yamaha just feels like a real motorcycle due to it's size and build.  On the other hand, for road use, the Honda has disc brakes front and back, whereas the Yamaha only has disc in front.  So, you must weigh the options as to what is more important for you.  I hope this helps.    Good luck!  

Edited by Kreole
  • Like 3