9/11 Families 'Ecstatic' They Can Finally Sue Saudi Arabia

Kodiak570

Families of the victims of the Sept. 11 attacks today celebrated a federal court's ruling that allows relatives of people who died in the 9/11 terror attacks to sue Saudi Arabia.

Most of the hijackers who attacked the World Trade Center and the Pentagon in 2001 were from Saudi Arabia, and the complaint states that much of the funding for the al-Qaeda terrorists came from Saudi Arabia.

An attempt to Saudi Arabia in 2002 was blocked by a federal court ruling that said the kingdom had sovereign immunity. That ruling was reversed Thursday by a three-judge federal panel.

"I'm ecstatic.... For 12 years we've been fighting to expose the people who financed those bastards," said William Doyle, the father of Joseph Doyle, 25, a Cantor-Fitzgerald employee who was killed in the North Tower of the World Trade Center.

"Christmas has come early to the 9/11 families. We're going to have our day in court," he told ABCNews.com.

The ruling struck down an earlier decision that found Saudi Arabia immune from lawsuits. The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said it's in the "interests of justice" to allow them to proceed.

Families who lost loved ones in the Sept. 11 attacks and insurers who lost billions of dollars covering damaged businesses have alleged Saudi Arabia bankrolled al-Qaeda, knowing the money would be used for terrorism.

The lawsuit, filed a decade ago by the Philadelphia firm Cozen O'Connor, accuses the Saudi government and members of the royal family of serving on charities that financed al-Qaeda operations.

http://news.yahoo.com/9-11-families-39-ecstatic-39-finally-sue-222121660--abc-news-topstories.html

Why on earth do peoplke want to sue?

Isnt it wnough that they have lost family, and sueing anyone wont make it any better.

Far better they get over their grief rather than make lawyers rich.

udonthani

the complaint states that much of the funding for the al-Qaeda terrorists came from Saudi Arabia.

so what. That was where Osama Bin Laden's family made their money. Unless they can show that the funding came from the GOVERNMENT of Saudi Arabia, then they haven't got a prayer.

besides 9/11 cost nothing. The whole thing probably cost no more than about $5 million. Which probably makes it one of the most cost-effective military attacks (and one of the targets was the Pentagon) ever.

I would suggest they would have more of a chance suing the Saudi government if they were victims of Hamas as opposed to Al Quieda. Because the Saudis definitely did allow telethons and so on to raise cash for them. Just because most of the hijackers were Saudi nationals does not necessarily make the Saudi government responsible.

Kodiak570

Why on earth do peoplke want to sue?

Isnt it wnough that they have lost family, and sueing anyone wont make it any better.

Far better they get over their grief rather than make lawyers rich.

America is slowly becoming the most litigious and entitlement minded society on the planet. If someone did you wrong call "THE HAMMER" -- He'll get you the money your looking for.

udonthani

Osama Bin Laden, basically financed 9/11, from the contents of his hip pocket.

he didn't need any help from the Saudi government or indeed anybody else, and who hated his guts anyway.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

i don't see Saudi paying off any judgements anyway.. so i think it's just more an anger thing than a money thing

• Like 1
udonthani

of course. The idea that anybody can sue a government may be one that Americans hold dear (and quite rightly so) but as for trying to do it anywhere else, well you try being an Arab, and suing your own government.

there is a bit of precedent I suppose with Lockerbie and Libya and Gadaffi and everything, which may be emboldening these litigants, but I would not be holding my breath on this one.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

they'll sue and then try to take assests in us banks

udonthani

who exactly are they supposed to be suing?

the American courts have given them leave to sue the government of Saudi Arabia, right?

why stop there? Why not sue and try to shake down every Muslim on the planet?

• Admin (Retired)
broden

that's  gonna depend on what the lawyers think they can finagle 

Given all the conspiricy theories, I wonder if anyone will sue the US govt for allowing the attack to happen?

• Like 5
udonthani

you don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to believe that on the morning of the 12th September, 2001, if not even on that very day itself, the Directors of the CIA and FBI both should have resigned. We could not believe at the time, that nobody's head seem to roll over 9/11 over the government's abject failure in doing what they are supposed to do above all else, and defending their people.

when Argentina invaded the Falklands, the UK Foreign Secretary had to resign. He had no choice. He bore the responsibility for it.

• Like 2
Headshot

I seriously doubt this is about the money. Even if they win, Saudi Arabia will never pay. However, the trial will highlight the fact that the brand of Islam practiced in (and sanctioned by) Saudi Arabia is at the root of all of the radical Islamist terror...including 911. The Saudi brand glorifies jihad more than any other sect, and is less tolerant of others.

While what is now Saudi Arabia was the birthplace of Islam, it was also home to various sects and strands of the religion until the rise of Salafism, a fiercely puritanical strain of Islam that gained patronage of the primary rulers of the Arabian peninsula. When the modern kingdom was established, Salafism became the only brand of Islam espoused by the government. The Saudi government hosts multiple international Islamic organizations and uses its government arms to propagate the Salafi brand of Islam worldwide. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Saudi_Arabia 

Yes...I know this is a Wikiquote. Nevertheless, if you go into almost any madras (Islamic religious school) in the world, you will find that the textbooks are printed and donated by the Saudi government, and that the brand of Islam being taught is Salafi. Salafi is the most radical form of Islam in the world and is the religion of Al Qaida. Al Qaida is nothing more than putting Salafism into practice.

In addition, Bin Laden didn't fund Al Qaida by himself. The money trail leads right to the Saudi royal family. It is well-documented. That documentation is the basis for this lawsuit. At the very least, this lawsuit will gravely embarrass Saudi Arabia in front of the world for supporting terror...something that should have happened a long time ago.

• Like 1
udonthani

that Wiki article is just bullshit.

it is true the Bin Laden family had very close ties to the Saudi Fahds for a lot of years. But Osama didn't. After his family disowned him in 1994 (at which time Osama had already been banished from Saudi) they cancelled his passport and revoked his citizenship.

Osama hated the Saudis and the Saudis hated him, primarily for causing a heap of trouble for them by speaking out about having a bunch of infidels in the shape of American and coalition servicemen on Saudi soil from the first Gulf War onwards. The Saudis also considered Osama a loose cannon in the Afghani mujahudeen years, precisely because he had his own money, organisation and resources and was able to build up his own operation without coming under the Saudi umbrella. If you think all Salafists are lovey dovey and all together just because they happen to have been born in the same country, and believe in a similar form of modernist radical Islam, then you had better think again.

• Like 1

I know americanos are the experts when it comes to sueing people lol but what happens if you aint got any money who has to pay court costs again if you can,t pay the court costs then what happens ? just curious