Sea urchins!

Irenicus

Was in Sipalay this week.  Was wading (with footwear) but slipped on a rock and my hand fell right on a black sea urchin.  12 puncture wounds to my fingers - the worst were the ones on my ring finger that were near the joints.  Treated with burning coconut (heat helps with initial pain), urine, and (later) vinegar.  The black puncture spots were cool at first but have faded and ya can't see them anymore.

Couple weeks ago got a jellyfish sting on the back of my knee.

Thus continues my theory that everything in the Philippines is trying to murder me.

:)

post-14529-0-48421600-1387612805_thumb.jpg

Edited by Irenicus
  • Like 4
SkyMan

At least you can avoid touching things for a while. Most people, myself included, step on them. I was still feeling the occasional sharp searing jab a couple months later.

• Like 2
cebubird

Main reason I stay out of the ocean here and glad we now have a little pool in our yard.

Worst "ocean thing" I ever had was floating along air mattress and having Portuguese Man-o-war wrap it's tentacles around arm from elbow to shoulder and release it's poison. Suffered for several months from that. From then on, all I had to do was see just one washed up on beach and my feet did not enter the water. Looking at those marks on your hands, it's obvious those things are quite painful as well.

• Like 1
Irenicus

having Portuguese Man-o-war wrap it's tentacles around arm from elbow to shoulder and release it's poison.

Heard that is a living hell for quite a while.  

Going to check out the whale sharks next.  There's no record of deadly attacks on humans, but with my luck, I am sure something awful will happen.

Gummed to death or sumthin.

• Like 5

Heard that is a living hell for quite a while.  

Going to check out the whale sharks next.  There's no record of deadly attacks on humans, but with my luck, I am sure something awful will happen.

Gummed to death or sumthin.

post-15230-0-61680200-1387618818_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
Headshot

Just thank your lucky stars that you didn't fall on a fire urchin. If you were lucky, you would be recovering in a hospital. If you weren't so lucky, you would be dead. Of course, getting stuck by one wouldn't feel very lucky even to the luckiest person. They aren't all that common here (like the black spiny urchins are), but they are here, and I have seen quite a few. They are mostly reddish in color, and have neon blue spots (as well as other colors on them). They are really beautiful, but don't touch. They have a lot of very powerful venom

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

that's a nice picture of your girlfriend.. my most sincere wishes on her quick and total recovery

• Like 7
Irenicus

that's a nice picture of your girlfriend.. my most sincere wishes on her quick and total recovery

Thanks.  She means the world to me.

• Like 2
goggleye

ate raw sea urchins for the first time this last july in Satander maybe taste good if u had drunk a liter of red horse first   -  not so great   :P then cooked ones for the first time too in moalboal not so great either.

At least you can avoid touching things for a while. Most people, myself included, step on them. I was still feeling the occasional sharp searing jab a couple months later.

One of the first rules of open water diving. Don't touch.

I know its only wading, swimming etc. But I never enter the water without covering up.

• Like 1

Thanks.  She means the world to me.

Yeah____the only one you can count on to remain true to you.

• Like 1

Just thank your lucky stars that you didn't fall on a fire urchin. If you were lucky, you would be recovering in a hospital. If you weren't so lucky, you would be dead. Of course, getting stuck by one wouldn't feel very lucky even to the luckiest person. They aren't all that common here (like the black spiny urchins are), but they are here, and I have seen quite a few. They are mostly reddish in color, and have neon blue spots (as well as other colors on them). They are really beautiful, but don't touch. They have a lot of very powerful venom

post-3344-0-34421000-1387688341_thumb.jpg

Bad boy...don't touch

• Like 1
JamesMusslewhite

attachicon.giffire urchin.jpg

Bad boy...don't touch

they can be found here in the waters around Dinagat Island. Bad bad boys and if stung the venom both burns and devolves flesh much like an acid.