Gunmen Shoot Dead Town Mayor at Philippine Airport

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

(Reuters) - Gunmen on Friday shot dead a town mayor and three other people at the airport in the Philippine capital, Manila, sending travelers fleeing for safety, authorities said.

Ukol Talumpa was mayor of a town called Labangan, Zamboanga del Sur. Three passengers were also killed and four people were wounded, airport manager Jose Honrado said.

Talumpa was waiting for a ride with his family outside the airport terminal when the gunmen approached and shot him at close range, Honrado said.

"We are still investigating the motive," he said. The mayor's relatives declined to comment. The gunmen, who were wearing police uniforms, escaped on a motorcycle.

Manila's Ninoy Aquino International Airport is named after prominent opposition politician Benigno Aqunio, who was shot dead there in 1983 as he arrived home from self exile.

His son, also Benigno Aqunio, is now president.

Developing: Zambo Sur town mayor, 3 others shot dead at NAIA Terminal 3
NAIA.jpg
crime.jpg

CA+ad+size+LEGALHD.jpg

Four people, including the mayor of Labangan, Zamboanga del Sur, were confirmed dead Friday in a shooting incident at the arrival area of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 3.

Jose Honrado, General Manager of the Manila International Airport Authority, confirmed that Mayor Ukol Talumpa of Labangan town, Zamboanga del Sur and his wife, Leah, were among the fatalities.

Two people also died in the incident but authorities have yet to identify them.

Witnesses claim that there were two suspects to the shooting but this information has yet to be confirmed by the authorities.

Mayor Talumpa and his wife were brought to the Villamor Airbase Hospital in Pasay City where they were declared dead on arrival.

Authorities have cordoned off the area and are investigating the incident. - Solar News Online

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ILoveCyrus

• Monsoon

• Brucewayne

• ed villas

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He wrote it, then retracted it. Now you say he should stand by it but tell him why he was wrong to say it? He retracted it, so chill. We all can speak/write a little hastily. Who hasn't misspoken and

Right, like the mayor's wife and 25 year old relative... not to mention the the 18 month old baby that they murdered... I am sure the baby was abusing the power that the mayor must have given him.  

it was not my intention to "flame" as i do very very carefully word and monitor what i do post. as i truly like  and enjoy this forum unlike those others that attack posters ,with no sense of forum

SomeRandomGuy

merry christmas hey.... wow makes me all warm and fuzzy living here.

Of all the places to get shot at the manila airport where security is high.

• Like 3
ed villas

:wave:

to end the life of those elected ones who abuse their power

some people

must resort to violence , hope that this mayor was worthy of this result.

now lets only hope that these men on motorcycles will continue to clean up those who abuse their position of trust

Edited by ed villas
ILoveCyrus

Inside job... he may have pissed off the wrong ppl

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Just in time as a I am leaving for the airport in 20 mins. Wrong termnimal thankfully as Im sure there will be a clusterfeck there now as they pretend to implement new security procedures.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Just in time as a I am leaving for the airport in 20 mins. Wrong termnimal thankfully as Im sure there will be a clusterfeck there now as they pretend to implement new security procedures.

Hate to say it, bro. But, you are the one who chose to live there. 

Brucewayne

The gunmen, who were wearing police uniforms, escaped on a motorcycle.

Uh, about 5-6 months ago the Mayor of Manila was told that this was happening.

He said he would have it investigated, but he doubted very seriously that gunmen were actually roaming around Manila dressed as police officers.

I do hope some of the press remember and let the good mayor know that there is proof and he can now remove his rose colored propaganda glasses.

HeyMike

:wave: to end the life of those elected ones who abuse their power some people

now lets only hope that these men on motorcycles will continue to clean up those who abuse their position of trust

Right, like the mayor's wife and 25 year old relative... not to mention the the 18 month old baby that they murdered... I am sure the baby was abusing the power that the mayor must have given him.

What a total moronic thing to say in this post. What, are you just trying to flame here. I hope they get the murdering bastards and string them up by their balls.

• Like 7
cebubird

I don't have the stats, but does this crazy country rank right up there with some of the African countries with the murders. I am getting more and more afraid to go anywhere.

:wave: to end the life of those elected ones who abuse their power some people

And how do you know he was abusing his power? Do you know this? He was reported to have raised issues about drugs in his town. How do you know it wasn't the other way around, he being assassinated for trying to clean things up?

De mortuis nihil nisi bonum, unless you have impeccable reason to do otherwise.

Here is a link to a news report of him standing up to drug lords: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1433/action-urged-vs-drug-use-in-zamboanga-sur-town

PAGADIAN CITY, Philippines – Vice Mayor Ukol Talumpa of Labangan, Zamboanga del Sur asked authorities to do something about the drug problem in his town.

Talumpa issued the appeal during last week’s drug summit here by saying that the problem has become quite serious and drug deals have “become so ordinary in my town.”

He said the local police have not been doing anything about the problem, which made officials like him helpless.

Labangan is a fourth-class municipality in Zamboanga del Sur and has an estimated population of 34,530 based on the 2000 census.

Talumpa said drug lords operate without fear despite the fact that the headquarters of the military’s 1st Infantry Division is located in the town.

Talumpa complained that arrested pushers or suppliers could get out of jail even if there was evidence against them.

“Dangerous drugs will never proliferate if there’s no one in high position responsible and protecting the pushers,” Talumpa said.

Chief Superintendent Adzar Albani, regional director of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency in Western Mindanao, admitted that “we know who these people are” but refused to identify the alleged drug lords.

“All we need is strong evidence and we will not discriminate whoever they are,” he said.

Albani denied they have not done anything about the drug problem in Labangan.

The number of arrests they made since 2002 could prove that PDEA was not sleeping on the job, he said, adding that the problem was that many of these cases had been dismissed by the courts on grounds of technicality.

Read more: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1433/action-urged-vs-drug-use-in-zamboanga-sur-town#ixzz2nzpnuddB 

Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

May he R.I.P. and go on to a better life now.

Edited by spydoo
  • Like 2
ed villas

And how do you know he was abusing his power? Do you know this? He was reported to have raised issues about drugs in his town. How do you know it wasn't the other way around, he being assassinated for trying to clean things up?

De mortuis nihil nisi bonum, unless you have impeccable reason to do otherwise.

Here is a link to a news report of him standing up to drug lords: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1433/action-urged-vs-drug-use-in-zamboanga-sur-town

PAGADIAN CITY, Philippines – Vice Mayor Ukol Talumpa of Labangan, Zamboanga del Sur asked authorities to do something about the drug problem in his town.

Talumpa issued the appeal during last week’s drug summit here by saying that the problem has become quite serious and drug deals have “become so ordinary in my town.”

He said the local police have not been doing anything about the problem, which made officials like him helpless.

Labangan is a fourth-class municipality in Zamboanga del Sur and has an estimated population of 34,530 based on the 2000 census.

Talumpa said drug lords operate without fear despite the fact that the headquarters of the military’s 1st Infantry Division is located in the town.

Talumpa complained that arrested pushers or suppliers could get out of jail even if there was evidence against them.

“Dangerous drugs will never proliferate if there’s no one in high position responsible and protecting the pushers,” Talumpa said.

Chief Superintendent Adzar Albani, regional director of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency in Western Mindanao, admitted that “we know who these people are” but refused to identify the alleged drug lords.

“All we need is strong evidence and we will not discriminate whoever they are,” he said.

Albani denied they have not done anything about the drug problem in Labangan.

The number of arrests they made since 2002 could prove that PDEA was not sleeping on the job, he said, adding that the problem was that many of these cases had been dismissed by the courts on grounds of technicality.

Read more: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1433/action-urged-vs-drug-use-in-zamboanga-sur-town#ixzz2nzpnuddB 

Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

May he R.I.P. and go on to a better life now.

it was not my intention to "flame" as i do very very carefully word and monitor what i do post.

as i truly like  :kissass:and enjoy this forum unlike those others that attack posters ,with no sense of forum control or moderation.

after review of the info that you kindly shared , it appears that i was thinking of the wrong Zambonian  city mayor(vice etc etc as some of these names or families appears to be all over)

it does appear that this mayor . is a GREAT EXCEPTION compared to the others in that area

if my post "offends" i retrack what i said on this one person and this person only.

as it shows that he was making a small yet importance difference to his community

unlike others that are elected

• Like 4
ILoveCyrus

:wave:

to end the life of those elected ones who abuse their power

some people

wow....are you suggesting Vigilante justice?