current medal tally

Thailand 228

Indonesia 201

Vietnam 194

Myanmar 161

Malaysia 130

Singapore 82

Philippines 80

on a per capita basis it seems that the Philippines are easily the worst in south east Asia.

on a per capita basis it seems that the Philippines are easily the worst in south east Asia.

Of course. Consider their poverty and small stature. 

By "worst" I assume you mean at games. They are often rated the highest in their attitude toward guests, so they get a medal of more valuable metal than mere gold as far as I'm concerned.

Character is *so* much more important than physical prowess that I find this thread irrelevant, since it comments on the latter without regard to the former.

Edited by spydoo
  • Like 2

Just not enough focus on sport at grass roots level. Not enough space for anything other than a makeshift basketball ring. I'm talking about the masses btw.

Sport is not part of school curriculum....singing n dancing are...

• Like 1
Ozepete

I have heard that in some cases The Philippines sends 'contenders' to such games based on who they know rather than their sporting ability! 

Sounds familiar.. :regler:

• Like 1
SomeRandomGuy

Well if that is true then that sucks as from my time in the provinces and around this county I have met some very amazing young athletic kids that would have the gusto and drive to push themselves if they had the opportunity at their feet.

shame really

SkyMan

You can't really look at the tallies fairly until they reach the events the Philippines are best at like bus crashing, bribery, line standing....

• Like 2
InternetTough

Excellence at big time sports equation:

natural talent + money spent on coaches, gyms, doctors, etc. = medal tally  

Witness the Chinese 2008 Olympic team, or the Korean 2002 World Cup team. China and Korea wanted definitely not to be embarrassed during the games they were holding in their own respective countries, so they threw money at their sports programs for years before the contest----and got the results they paid for.

The Filipinos best game is probably chess---a "game" of pure logic.

Skywalker

Why do you take EVERY POSSIBLE OPPORTUNITY to cast negativity on these beautiful islands?

• Like 4
Mandingo

One thing is many Filipino's leave the country the first chance they get, that is priority over playing sports ...hard to field a good team when they no long live in country.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

udonthani

the Azkals are now a pretty good team - in fact now one of the better ones in south east Asia after being a laughing stock for years - precisely because they have been able to mine the seam of overseas Filipinos.

jtmwatchbiz

in all fairness to cultural differences, has anyone ever tried to play sports while texting? :)

• Like 1

the Azkals are now a pretty good team - in fact now one of the better ones in south east Asia after being a laughing stock for years - precisely because they have been able to mine the seam of overseas Filipinos.

The Malditas (the women's soccer team) held a tryout camp in LA last spring and signed on a bunch of girls playing on US college teams. They suddenly got much better.

They invited my daughter to the camp, but she decided not to do it.

• Like 1
udonthani

'Phil', instantly recognised by just one word (always a key indicator of fame) is the biggest sporting hearthrob in the Philippines, Their David Beckham.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Sport is not part of school curriculum....singing n dancing are...

Ahh yes. The core of the curriculum here for sure.