Zest Air plane skids off Kalibo airport runway

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/regions/12/19/13/zest-air-plane-skids-kalibo-airport-runway

Zest Air plane skids off Kalibo airport runway
by Kathlyn dela Cruz, ABS-CBNnews.com
Posted at 12/19/2013 4:50 PM | Updated as of 12/19/2013 8:05 PM

MANILA (3rd UPDATE) -- A Zest Air plane skidded off the runway of the Kalibo International Airport in Aklan on Thursday afternoon, the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) and the Philippine National Police (PNP) Aviation Security Group said.

According to Chief Supt. Christopher Laxa, director of the PNP Aviation Security Group, the incident occurred at around 3:15 p.m.

The pilot of the Zest Air flight Z2 058 bound for Busan in South Korea reportedly miscalculated the runway during a turn prior to take-off and its front tire rolled into soft ground.

Speaking to ANC's "Top Story," CAAP deputy director general John Andrews explained that during the 180-degree turn of the Airbus A320 plane, "there was probably some miscalculation on speed or allowance" on the part of the pilot.

The aircraft has already been removed from soft ground and pulled out of the runway of the airport, he said.

All 137 passengers and 7 crew of the plane, with tail number RP PH 988, are safe.

Most of the passengers were tourists from Boracay, according to Captain Rowan Estano, head of the airport's security group.

Andrews said the plane will not be allowed to proceed with its take-off, and its pilot and crew are automatically grounded.

They are required to undergo medical examination, drug tests and proficiency checks before they can be cleared, he said.

Meanwhile, operations at the Kalibo airport have already resumed.

Andrews said the four flights which had to be diverted due to the incident -- 2 flights of Seair, and 1 flight of Cebu Pacific, and 1 AirPhil Express -- can now proceed to Kalibo.

The Zest Air, meanwhile, will send a rescue flight for the stranded passengers.

Andrews said the CAAP is conducting an investigation into what exactly caused the incident.

Authorities are also checking if the plane sustained any damage. -- With reports from Zhander Cayabyab, dzMM; Regi Adosto, ABS-CBN News Iloilo

udonthani

totally routine incident right. Planes skid off runways in the tropics after rain all the time. No injuries reported.

• Like 2
JamesMusslewhite

agree...

CebuKano

Extended aprons on the taxi-way/runways in Kalibo would help a lot. It's an international airport but the flight infrastructure is a bit lacking.

miles-high

miscalculated the runway during a turn prior to take-off and its front tire rolled into soft ground

(Emphasis mine)

If you consider this happened during a 180, no, it’s not a routine incident…

Just think that you are driving a tricycle and making a 180… How would you "miscalculate" the turn and your front tire rolled into soft ground... the main tires (under the wings) may be... Besides, you should always do a 180 at the speed you can easily stop... :D

mactanfamily

Yet another sensationalist piece of crap journalism. 

Skidding, rescuing stranded passengers...thank god everyone is safe! Sounds like it was pretty much life or death out there!

i live in madison wi (usa). and just last week we had a plane at our airport do the same thing. in the pilots defience it was snowing here. also no injuries reported

Chris24

Like pretty much everyone who's visited Boracay, I've flown into both Caticlan and Kalibo   Kalibo twice by accident when conditions at Caticlan (which is much closer to Boracay) didn't permit a safe landing.   Adventurous but I've never felt in dire danger.

Asian Spirit is the predecessor of Zest, and this image from the web is of a landing at Caticlan.  If you look closely in the third window back from the door, you can see the face of a guy who just crapped his pants.

caticlan3.jpg

Edited by Chris24
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Zest air is shit. I would never fly them again. Once was enough for me. 

I had the sad experience yesterday  of flying zest air as at this time of year their one way ticket at 6500 to Mindanao was cheaper  by a long way than anyone else. T4 was ugly and that is without the shootings at T3

As usual the flight was delayed for ever due to "late turn around of your aircraft" before the idiot fell off the runway in Kalibo/Caticlan.

Arrival we sat at the apron for exactly 30 minutes because of a faulty tail generator that prevented the engines being turned off. Funny how the generator functions just in time for the leaving scheduled flight to be cancelled as the delay would encroach day light visual rules....no freaking night lights at the newest airport, sorry International airport. 

Zest air was suspended recently for operating issues. I wonder how long before they get kicked out ? and deservedly

Edited by spooks

Asian Spirit is the predecessor of Zest, and this image from the web is of a landing at Caticlan.  If you look closely in the third window back from the door, you can see the face of a guy who just crapped his pants.  

The captain of this flight failed to report this incident as did his first officer. After the picture came out, both were subjected to disciplinary action.