Loud Motorbikes

CebuKano

CebuKano

Why don't they do this here? I've often said that the RP could solve the problem of the loud motorbikes by imposing a ₱5,000 fine and impoundment of the bike for the first violation and ramp it up from there. I'd like to see one of those big motorbike delivery trucks right there beside the check point, waiting to load the bikes up. Hopefully there would be a place to buy a beer and watch the activity. I'd even buy the police a soft drink or two. Wishful thinking at best :D

From Chicagoland, U.S.

-------------------------------------

RIVER NORTH — A Downtown alderman is revving up his campaign against noisy motorcycles.

Ald. Brendan Reilly (42nd) has submitted a proposal to ease enforcement and increase maximum fines for violators to $1,000, which he trumpeted in a newsletter emailed to constituents Tuesday.

He called the persistent problem "a major quality-of-life issue" in his River North and Downtown ward.

According to Reilly, "many motorcyclists alter their mufflers to be much louder than legal decibel levels, which contributes to noise pollution throughout Chicago, especially in Downtown Chicago's skyscraper canyons."

But Reilly's ordinance would not necessarily target loud motorcycles, such as Harley-Davidsons, by decibel levels, but instead takes aim at those with altered mufflers.

That approach, he said, allows the City Council to streamline current regulations so local police would not have to work with State Police to issue tickets, as is required now by city law.

The new ordinance enables Chicago cops to issue tickets to motorcyclists with any exhaust pipe "lacking a muffler," which he said "would allow the Chicago Police Department to more easily enforce the law with a simple visual inspection."

Reilly said he has received "hundreds of complaints," especially in warmer months, about the loud bikes. Most recently, at a Downtown community-police meeting in September, Reilly heard from local resident David Klinger, who called loud motorcycle noise in the early hours of the night "an ongoing problem" in the neighborhood.

Officer Mary Panick agreed and said the Chicago Police Department's midnight team in the neighborhood was working to address it.

"Once they're on the move on Lake Shore Drive, they will run from the police," Panick said at the September meeting. "We have a new no-pursuit policy on them."

Reilly's new ordinance doesn't address that problem, but instead aims at laws police can enforce.

Reilly introduced the muffler ordinance at last week's City Council meeting, and it was sent to the Committee on Pedestrian and Traffic Safety. It would increase the maximum fine from $100 to $1,000.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20131217/downtown/noisy-motorcycles-draw-ire-of-downtown-alderman-residents

There just isn't much impetus to enforce a restriction on loud motorcycles in a land where its "OK" for  your neighbor to be booming on his KTV machine at 3:30 in the morning.    That would be much too progressive.. come back in 15 years ..things MIGHT be changed by then....not crossing my fingers. 

• Like 4
CebuKano

There just isn't much impetus to enforce a restriction on loud motorcycles in a land where its "OK" for  your neighbor to be booming on his KTV machine at 3:30 in the morning.    That would be much too progressive.. come back in 15 years ..things MIGHT be changed by then....not crossing my fingers.

Yeah, I know... just wishful thinking. It's a nice fantasy though.... :)

mactanfamily

I'd be happy to see the bikes have lights! That would be a start. I especially love the guys who have a red light on the front.

The worst thing was the KTV that was a mile away. The problem is they have a bass speaker as big as a nipa hut. All you here all night is BOOM BOOM---BOOM BOOM. It turns my whole house into a bass speaker. 

• Like 2
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I'd be happy to see the bikes have lights! That would be a start. I especially love the guys who have a red light on the front.

The worst thing was the KTV that was a mile away. The problem is they have a bass speaker as big as a nipa hut. All you here all night is BOOM BOOM---BOOM BOOM. It turns my whole house into a bass speaker. 

Funny, there's no mention of that in your ad. :-)

• Like 2
thebob

Loud pipes save lives.

First lets impound all the SUV's with blacked out windows that have uprated headlamps that blind everyone.

If the jay walking rules were informed, you wouldn't need a loud pipe to warn everyone that you are there.

liquido

I think the good mayor in Davao put a stop to loud pipes awhile back?

• Like 2
smokey

Lets solve most of the traffic problems by not parking on the national highway and jeeps that use two lanes 

• Like 1
CebuKano

Loud pipes save lives.

First lets impound all the SUV's with blacked out windows that have uprated headlamps that blind everyone.

If the jay walking rules were informed, you wouldn't need a loud pipe to warn everyone that you are there.

That's a myth that loud pipes save lives. Careful riding and driving save lives.

• Like 1

I will keep my loud pipes. Don't know how many people walk out in front of me before I installed my pipes. They at least glance up now.

• Like 3
ILoveCyrus

My pipes are loud too. I rev and honk to let idiots know I'm coming..

MarinePride

On Mactan Island we have these pedal cycles, which is basically just a tricycle minus the engine.  These guys have no lights or reflectors and they run the secondary roads at all hours.  Honestly the way people drive motorcycles here, it's only a matter of time until they wreck.  The noise factor is a big irritant, especially when they zoom past my gate and set off the car alarm.  They probably get a laugh out of it.  I look forward to the nightly news reports of traffic accidents, I especially enjoy it when I see a motorcycle on its side and smashed.

Edited by MarinePride

And it stops the dogs running out in front of you.

Only 15 minutes ago I just came within inches of hitting a lovely golden retriever out with his owner near where we live. Lucky for all I was just crawling along in 2nd gear when he suddenly turned round and bolted right into my path as I passed them.  That is where you don't want spongy brakes.

I was in two minds about fitting a racing exhaust to my bike. Don't want it too loud for longer journeys, and I'm not a teen anymore where I want everyone to hear me, but after reading this topic there is more of a point to having a loud exhaust than just being a 'faggot' ( as my wife calls anyone with a booming exhaust ).

Easy to get loud pipes banned like in River North.

Just live in an area where houses sell for about $300 to $500 USD per square foot. $I,000 sq ft condo goes for $300,000 and up. ,(90 sq M = 13,000,000 P?)

Money do speak louder that motorcycle pipes.