Solar Water Heating "I did it my way."

As long as mist or droplets dont get into your lungs there is no problem

I take it if I were to inject chlorine into the system, that would pretty well kill most bacteria. 

I wonder if ultra-violet lighting would kill those same bacteria? That would be a better way to deal with them.

Paul, once you have the hot water up and running you can then move onto the holy grail of solar.... solar air conditioning.

In a previous lifetime I did inspect their Australian facility and 'sold' their concept to an outback hospital that I knew but they did make many installations in Australia... http://www.yazakienergy.com/waterfired.htm

They never did pursue domestic applications, although I was shown a domestic model they had prototyped, as the then CEO told me it was not commercially viable for them to do.

But I just found this link which may yield further good information.. http://www.solarpanelsplus.com/products/absorption-chillers/

• Like 1

Solar Air Conditioning? That's fer rich folks, mate. :)

Now, a 42" flat screen television - I could picture having one of them in the farm house!

I take it if I were to inject chlorine into the system, that would pretty well kill most bacteria. 

I wonder if ultra-violet lighting would kill those same bacteria? That would be a better way to deal with them.

There are a number of in-line UV sterilizers that will do a trick.

• Like 2

Paul, just for curiosity sake my uncle lived very near a place called Jerilderie... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerilderie

I grew up a 'bit' further WNW of there and commercial electricity supply, followed by TV signals, came too late for me to really appreciate in my home environment.

Prior to that occurrence we used to produce our own electricity, watch the big box radio and read books.

Some people think the electricity supply in Cebu is bad with the frequency of 'brownouts'... LOL... they should have experienced my conditions.

42" TV you can have.... I have my internet, 64bit processor, 8 gig of memory and 2TB HD.

As long as mist or droplets dont get into your lungs there is no problem

Woolf, how many deaths do you reckon can be attributed to legionnaire's disease versus malaria?

Woolf, how many deaths do you reckon can be attributed to legionnaire's disease versus malaria?

I have no idea, and I do not intend to do any investigation on that subject

dustybookend

No gravity at work here. Pressurized system. The panels will be on the roof. The water will be pumped via the ShurFlo, up to the roof and into the panels. The pump will come on when the valve in the shower is opened, pushing the water through the tubing, down to the bathroom and to the valve.

I made an acrylic 'glass' covered enclosed thermo-syphon version using the parallel swimming pool heating tubes common on roofs in Oz. So it looked like your fig 1. It was about 1.5sm collector and on a hot Melbourne day the water in the PE tank (200l) would get to 95C.
Since yours isn't covered it is unlikely to get that hot but since the water in your system is static until pumped it might boil under some conditions.
And even if it gets to 'only' 60C you need to dial in the appropriate amount of cold. By which time the hot water has been replaced by cold in the collector.

I have no idea, and I do not intend to do any investigation on that subject

with all due respect, stop coming the 'elf and safety when legionnaires disease is a modern invention (1978) and only comes about from poor or non existent maintenance.

JamesMusslewhite

1477725_567572726663498_328580993_n.jpg

• Like 6

I made an acrylic 'glass' covered enclosed thermo-syphon version using the parallel swimming pool heating tubes common on roofs in Oz. So it looked like your fig 1. It was about 1.5sm collector and on a hot Melbourne day the water in the PE tank (200l) would get to 95C.
Since yours isn't covered it is unlikely to get that hot but since the water in your system is static until pumped it might boil under some conditions.
And even if it gets to 'only' 60C you need to dial in the appropriate amount of cold. By which time the hot water has been replaced by cold in the collector.

I agree that it probably won't get to 95°C. But, I guess I will need to check and see if I can find some tubing that will have a higher temperature rating on it. Not sure if that is possible here, though, especially since most people don't have hot any water in their homes. 

Edited by Paul
SkyMan

This must have been made by Broden, sick bastard.

But it's a pretty decent system.

Headshot

Philigenius!

It would be, but they use plastic pipes here...  :bomb: