What the Typhoon Revealed

Jim Sibbick

I tell everyone I meet, who will listen, the following.

"Things didn't get this way by people giving a shit, or paying attention and this (look around) is what you end up with!"

Do you really say that to Filipinos?

If that is how you deal with the Philippines, you may want to consider leaving.

Otherwise, i am confident we will be hearing about your untimely death on these forums.

Maybe not today but in the future when you have pissed off the wrong Filipinos!

• Like 1
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wolfpack

• Mr. Mike

• MarinePride

• hyaku

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

November’s Typhoon Haiyan (known in the Philippines as Typhoon Yolanda) tragically wiped away thousands of lives and brought extreme hardship to hundreds of thousands of Filipinos. It also wiped away

An interesting side note to all the above....I remember some "official" saying in an interview which was on tv and in the newspapers that the death toll could reach as high as 10,000.  He was fired, r

The typhoon showed the world just how feeble, incompetent, apathetic and corrupt the Philippines really is. Everyone kind of new this already but after the typhoon it was under the spotlight for all t

Posted Images

The one in Lo-oc is factual info sent by a neighbor. I would hopefully agree with what you say. The mountain barangay I live in is similar to yours.

At the best of times there is the occasional killing and thefts.

My concern is that all these dark hours bring unrest and the worst in some people.

Pleased to hear you have power and can log on. We are told the supply from Lemon to Biliran is still in the process of being fixed. Regular text news from the power company at least.

I have power because I have my own generator, but I don't expect utility power here for months yet. Where we live will be among the last, I think.

My gf has organized a posse here that responds to any cry for help. So far they have thwarted a couple of breakins. Yup, you see the best and worst of people under these conditions.

CardiacKid

from what I have read, the 7th fleet maintains a carrier in the close range of the Philippines until properly relieved...at all times...

Perhaps in the past. Now the nearest carrier is the carrier that is home ported in Japan. If it is in port and not on a scheduled maintenance non-availability it could be in Philippine waters in 2-3 days. The Philippines has shown itself to be a fair weather friend, and events since 1991 have possibly reduced the amount of zeal to bail them out when they cry wolf.  

udonthani

Always during catastrophes like this, in the chaos and aftermath, old disputes are settled, and murders are not uncommon though (very often) undiagnosed.

that is true. I was on to that quite early when one of my dearest friends' family was stricken in Leyte. I knew immeadiately that this could be the time to settle old scores. And I knew her mama was active in politics locally. And that her man had clung on to power in their barangay in the recent election. I could see that this might be an opportunity for the other guys' goons to seize a chance to settle the score.

happily it did not come to that. But I was on to that, very soon.

MIDNITERIDER

from what I have read, the 7th fleet maintains a carrier in the close range of the Philippines until properly relieved...at all times...

I don't know what you're perusing but the CVN-73 George Washington happened to be in port 08Nov-11 Nov2013, anchored in Victoria Harbor, Hong Kong after transiting Singapore when they pulled anchor because duty called for response to Typhoon Haiyan. The George Washington is homeported at Yokosuka, Japan. 

EVERETT, Wash. (Dec. 16, 2013) "Sailors man the rails as the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz (CVN 68) arrives at its homeport of Naval Station Everett, Wash. Nimitz returned home after a nine-month deployment to the U.S. 5th, 6th and 7th Fleet areas of responsibility."

"Only five of America's 10 aircraft carriers have a Pacific home port, but fielding the USS Gerald Ford in 2015 could make six possible."

www.stimson.org/spotlight/benchmarking-the-navys-pacific-shift/

CARRIER LOCATIONS AND HOMEPORTS

Edited by MIDNITERIDER
Wolfpack

I don't know what you're perusing but the CVN-73 George Washington happened to be in port 08Nov-11 Nov2013, anchored in Victoria Harbor, Hong Kong after transiting Singapore when they pulled anchor because duty called for response to Typhoon Haiyan. The George Washington is homeported at Yokosuka, Japan. 

EVERETT, Wash. (Dec. 16, 2013) "Sailors man the rails as the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz (CVN 68) arrives at its homeport of Naval Station Everett, Wash. Nimitz returned home after a nine-month deployment to the U.S. 5th, 6th and 7th Fleet areas of responsibility."

"Only five of America's 10 aircraft carriers have a Pacific home port, but fielding the USS Gerald Ford in 2015 could make six possible."

www.stimson.org/spotlight/benchmarking-the-navys-pacific-shift/

CARRIER LOCATIONS AND HOMEPORTS

you know what the name "Blue Ridge" comes from?

USS BLUE RIDGE (LCC-19)...flagship...commander seventh fleet...homeported: Yokosuka, Japan...

ah, never mind...

Edited by Blue Ridge
Mr. Mike

you know what the name "Blue Ridge" comes from?

USS BLUE RIDGE (LCC-19)...flagship...commander seventh fleet...homeported: Yokosuka, Japan...

ah, never mind...

I wondered about that! I served aboard the Blue Ridge in 1975/76! Compared to my old DD727, she was a cruise ship.

• Like 1
ellenbrook2001

that PHILIPPINE the last 35 years nothing have changed only more peoples more cars more pollution but on the bright side more sexy girls lol

• Like 1
MarinePride

Otherwise, i am confident we will be hearing about your untimely death on these forums.

MarinePride

I really don't know any of the local people who are able to carry on a meaningful conversation of any substance, that I have interest in,  in English, to be perfectly honest about it.  Hell, I wrote the comment here and some wonder what I'm talking about.  Just write it off as the ranting of a guy who has always lived in a good neighborhood and not a ghetto for most of his life.  As far as telling it to other expats, when I do go out, it's with the family and that is who I interact with.  I'm really not interested in hearing their story or telling mine. 

As far as me dealing with it here, I'm here on a Balikbayan visa and upgraded to a 13A, I've been married to a Filipina for 18 years. I've got over 4 years in country. I've dealt with the system and my impressions of it, on every level,  are lasting ones.  Interpret that any way you want.  Your experience may be different and I guess it depends on your perspective to a huge degree.  I don't like deviations from what I consider to be "the way things should be done". 

Of course I'm in a foreign country and I have learned to blend in and adapt to it.  I realize that this place will never amount to much of anything for the average citizen out there.  People here are conditioned and they have never experienced anything else, by and large.  They really don't know how it is somewhere else.  I only care about how it all affects me and my family.  Ignorance is not strength.  As long as the entertainment culture is fresh, things are great here for the majority.

Improvise, adapt and overcome are words that enter my mind almost every day here and I do it.  I know when to hold'em and when to fold'em.  With that being said, thanks for your advice.

An interesting side note to all the above....I remember some "official" saying in an interview which was on tv and in the newspapers that the death toll could reach as high as 10,000.  He was fired, removed from his job and the "Palace" said that this estimate was (not their word but their meaning) was crazy.  Yesterday, an interesting news article that the death toll has exceeded 6,000 BUT THE COUNTING OF DEAD WAS STOPPED.  Also, there are sections of country devastated by the typhoon which have HAD NONE OF THEIR DEAD ACCOUNTED FOR AT ALL.  

Banning hammers is one thing.  Banning the truth is another.  

• Like 7
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Thats utter bullshit. I have intelligent conversations with educated Filipinos all the time about how fecked up this country is. They know it. Someone getting killed by making a statement such as that? You must really live a life of fear and patronizing simplicity in your conversations with Filipinos if you think that type of thing will get you killed here. 

• Like 5
shadow

Thats utter bullshit. I have intelligent conversations with educated Filipinos all the time about how fecked up this country is. They know it. Someone getting killed by making a statement such as that? You must really live a life of fear and patronizing simplicity in your conversations with Filipinos if you think that type of thing will get you killed here. 

While some Filipinos know their country is fecked up and are vocal and realistic about it, others get very offended when hearing it from foreigners. While many Filipinos are modenized (especially those who live in the larger cities) most of the country only knows what they see in their barangay, and are a very proud and easily offended bunch. Here in Dumaguete a local filed suit against a foriegner earlier this year because he failed to stand for the anthem at the theater. Mind you, there were plenty of Filipinos not standing...

There have been plenty of murders of foriegners here in my time here that were the result of a Filipino who was insulted (or thought he was) by a foriegner. While it is commonplace for Filipinos to speak the truth about their country, many of those same Filipinos will consider it a personal insult for a foriegner to do so.

• Like 4
ellenbrook2001

Jim Sibbick, on 18 Dec 2013 - 4:24 PM, said:

Maybe not today but in the future when you have pissed off the wrong Filipinos

eh that over the top? you cannot make such treat on this forum we have an opinion what going here we have knowledge.experienced,or many PINOY do not have leaving 25 years behind any modern country so tell me why so many PINOY go work abroad then when they go back home they attitude has changed,they are more polite,understanding and above all respect.sure i live here then i am only a visitor but never ever talk bad to a PINOY i always respect them in a very good manner,i do not jump the queue,i know how to say sorry or to say pardon me so how many PINOY do that???the question his?they liked or not PINOY need the FOREIGNERS money or most the time we been rip off or scammed or sadly some got a bullet in the head cause the wife had an affair with her ex PINOY lover that the way some foreigners have been deal with here?? his only an opinion but i believed never a foreigner will kill someone unless the guy his crazy but here PINOY are not crazy too pull the trigger just they pride cause a human been here has no value.but no way someone could tell we should live or maybe get a bullet huhuhuh where you drunk?