Sign in to follow this  
Buko Beach

Buffalo Mozzarella

Buko Beach

The recent topic posted about mozzarella cheese got me to wondering. Is imported or domestic made buffalo mozzarella available around Cebu?

Many foodies consider buffalo mozzarella to be a far superior product to regular mozzarella. While I'm no-where close to being an animal expert it would seem that the two animals are the same. Water buffalo and the Philippine Caribao. Once you try pizza or pasta made with good buffalo mozzarella you will realize what all the fuss is about. The texture, the taste, the stringy pizza cheese oozes just the right amount of oil and flavor.

So does anyone in the Philippines make Mozzarella di Bufala? And if not, why? The cheese, if properly done fetches a hefty premium over regular cow mozzarella and there are a lot of caribao around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_mozzarella

shadow

The recent topic posted about mozzarella cheese got me to wondering. Is imported or domestic made buffalo mozzarella available around Cebu?

Many foodies consider buffalo mozzarella to be a far superior product to regular mozzarella. While I'm no-where close to being an animal expert it would seem that the two animals are the same. Water buffalo and the Philippine Caribao. Once you try pizza or pasta made with good buffalo mozzarella you will realize what all the fuss is about. The texture, the taste, the stringy pizza cheese oozes just the right amount of oil and flavor.

So does anyone in the Philippines make Mozzarella di Bufala? And if not, why? The cheese, if properly done fetches a hefty premium over regular cow mozzarella and there are a lot of caribao around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_mozzarella

I tired for a few years to find a source for carabao milk, everyone thought it a fool crazy kano idea. Nobody would milk one.

• Like 1

NHANORAK

I believe the quality of the grass that the Buffalo affects the quality of the cheese as well.

• Like 1

BossHog

There's a long history in the Philippines of making cheese from carabao milk.

It's called kesong puti (white cheese).

However, it's not too similar to the artisanal mozzarella you're thinking of.

There are dairies, especially in Luzon, that do make carabao mozzarella. The weekend foodie markets around Manila would be a good place to find some.

• Like 2

SkyMan

I know am old lady in Compostela that makes it. She sells it in Liloan on Sunday mornings. She wraps it in banana leaves. 3 for p100. When I buy it I transfer it to Tupperware so the leaves don't make it bitter. It's about the consistency of pudding. It keeps well in the ref maybe 3 weeks and ages during that time so the taste varies. I spread some on my eggs in the morning. Very nice.

• Like 3

shadow

There's a long history in the Philippines of making cheese from carabao milk.

It's called kesong puti (white cheese).

However, it's not too similar to the artisanal mozzarella you're thinking of.

Yes, we have that around here, I never really thought of it as cheese though.

• Like 1

miles-high

Some French and Italian chefs occasionally use kesong puti as mozzarella substitute on their menu here in NCR but I guess they are not Italian chefs from Italy… :D Supposed to be consumed within a few hours…

• Like 2

BossHog

Yes, we have that around here, I never really thought of it as cheese though.

True dat.

Although 'kesong' is a transliteration of the Spanish word 'queso', it bears as much resemblance to cheese as Eden does to Edam.

• Like 1

Buko Beach

I believe the quality of the grass that the Buffalo affects the quality of the cheese as well.

Not so. Buffalo are able to consume lower quality grass and weeds that regular milk cows avoid and they produce better even on lower quality grass.

Quoted from the wiki page. "The digestive system of water buffaloes permits them to turn low grade vegetation into rich milk which, due to its higher percentage of solids, provides higher levels of protein, fat and minerals than cow milk. The richness of buffalo milk makes it highly suitable for processing. To produce 1 kg of cheese, a cheese maker requires 8 kg of cow milk but only 5 kg of buffalo milk. Producing 1 kg of butter requires 14 kg of cow milk but only 10 kg of buffalo milk. Because of these high yields, processors appreciate the value of buffalo milk."

• Like 2

Wolfpack

the family of my wife doesnt even milk cows...and were shocked when I asked them if they milk their goats...

these folks have got to be the laziest farmers in the world, wasting the best stuff...and eating way too much rice!!!

more Buffalo Mazzerella SHOULD be available...folks are just too darn lazy!!!

• Like 2