Sign in to follow this  
Paddy

My first 2 month extension

Paddy

Up until now, my trips to the Philippines have been relatively short. The last one was on a 59 day Non-immigrant Visa issued by the Consulate here in Toronto.

For my next trip in early 2014, I will also be starting with a 59 day Non-immigrant visa from the consulate but I will be staying for about 4 months. Sometime in May (probably) I will need to do my first extension.

I have been reading the topics here and the information on the BI site. As you can guess, I now have several questions and I would very much appreciate your input.

I will have to travel to get to a BI office. Legaspi and Cebu (I assume the Mandaue sp? office) are the likely candidates. I'll be staging out of Manila at the end of the 4 months, so I don't see any particular reason to go there for the extension (I like walking around Intramuros, but I don't need to do it twice in a relatively short space of time!).

I have no problems with the old dress code, let alone the new one.

I will likely prepare all the paperwork here when I put together my initial 59 day visa application and simply bring it with me.

As I understand it, the first two month extension past 59 days comes with an ACR-I card. I do want one of these in order to get set up with a bank account. The manager of the branch I intend to deal with has already said he needs it.

OK - the questions:

1. How long before expiry of your current visa do you do your extension? I am not a last minute sort of person.
  2. Is this extension 2 calendar months or another 59 days? 
  3. I will have a return ticket scheduled for the full 4 months. I don't think this is a problem and the consulate in Toronto will have already seen the dates on it. But please feel free to comment.
  4. Legaspi is a nice little town with a huge volcano in its back yard. Cebu is a traffic nightmare but it also has some interesting places to visit (I particularly like the Taoist temple). It's a 2 hour ferry ride and a 1+ hour drive to get to Legaspi or a 1 hour flight to get to Cebu. However, the primary purpose of the trip is to extend my visa. Which office would you choose or is there no real preference?
  5. I looked at the extension form and read a comment of Salty Dog's. The instructions say complete all the spaces on the form. Does anyone know what page 2 is for? Who, for example, is the Petitioner? I am pretty sure I am the Applicant.
  6. When I get to the end of the 4 months, I wondered if I would need an ECC. It seems you need an ECC-A if you have stayed 6 months or more or an ECC-B if you hold a valid ACR_I card and plan on returning. I do plan on returning and it will be about 8 months, or less, after I leave so within the validity of both the ACR-I card and the ECC-B (which is one year). So, do I need the ECC-B? (You can only get this at the main BI office or at the airport) 
  7. So then I happened across the Annual Reporting 2014 memo. As a registered alien, you need to appear for annual reporting except in certain circumstances which includes being out of the country. When you get back, you have 30 days "to pay" (it didn't say you have 30 days to complete the Annual Reporting!). Given the parameters of my situation:
  • Does being the holder of an ACR-I card make me a registered alien? (I think yes)
  • Do you think I qualify for annual reporting on my return?

I don't believe I am overthinking this - I just want to make sure I comply with the immigration laws. I am also fairly certain I will have other questions before I actually have an extension in my hands!

Thanks for your input.

udonthani

oh god the Filipinos are going to find you a right fecking nightmare. It is not difficult. You go to whatever immigration office it is armed with a ballpen, your passport and the money. You don't need anything else.

• Like 3

Paddy

I could do it that way :) of course  - I choose to find out a bit more first.

udonthani

all they are bothered about is rice sex and babies. Why complicate matters.

Skywalker

Paddy, don't worry about the previous poster, he has recently found out that he needs 2 more IQ points to be a tree, and he is clearly struggling.  He also fell off his motorbike, and banged his head.

Just go to your nearest (any) immigration office with your passport and cash.  It really is that simple.

I don't know who you are trying to open an account with, but I managed to open an account with BPI with just a tourist visa.

Incidentally, Udonthani doesn't live here and therefore has limited experience with immigration, including being turned away for being improperly dressed, although he claims they know him well enough to call him by his first name.  Take from that what you will.

Edited by Skywalker
  • Like 2

Paddy

Come on Udonthani, one of the threads says you have been doing extensions for 10 years or so. I haven't done one yet and it's a bit of an expedition from the house to do it. The last thing I need is to be unprepared. 

What do you put on Page 2? Do you concern yourself with ECCs or Annual Reporting? You obviously like the place and enjoy being there and I am sure you would not want to be declared persona non grata simply because you failed to dot some tee or cross some eye. 

You don't have to respond to the fluff about which office or when etc. I am actually quite capable of making those decisions but it doesn't stop me from being interested in others' experiences.

Paddy

Paddy, don't worry about the previous poster, he has recently found out that he needs 2 more IQ points to be a tree, and he is clearly struggling.  He also fell off his motorbike, and banged his head.

Just go to your nearest (any) immigration office with your passport and cash.  It really is that simple.

I don't know who you are trying to open an account with, but I managed to open an account with BPI with just a tourist visa.

Incidentally, Udonthani doesn't live here and therefore has limited experience with immigration, including being turned away for being improperly dressed, although he claims they know him well enough to call him by his first name.  Take from that what you will.

I was going to click the Thank button - but it isn't there. Thank you.

I know getting an extension is not going to be problematic in and of itself. It's the potential subsequent implications. And maybe I don't need to worry about those either. At this point, I don't really know.

Chinabank - have a working relationship with the bank manager already but he does need the card. Not having an account hasn't really been a problem so far. 

Skywalker

When you go to immigration, you will be given a simple form to fill in.

On the wall there will be a poster which shows the timeline (and costs) for extensions.

It's pretty easy when you know how it works, but if you have any more questions ask away.  Remember there's no such thing as a stupid question, just don't look for complications where they don't exist.

Skywalker

Cebu is a traffic nightmare

This is simply not true.  I live here.  I drive here every day.  Just avoid the rush hours when people are going/returning from work.

If you want to know what traffic is, just ask Monsoon, who lives in NCR.

Paddy

This is simply not true.  I live here.  I drive here every day.  Just avoid the rush hours when people are going/returning from work.

OK - so that was a slight exaggeration and I would agree that NCR is worse (much worse even than the 401 in a snowstorm).

• Like 1

Woolf

How long before expiry of your current visa do you do your extension? I am not a last minute sort of person.

1 week

Is this extension 2 calendar months or another 59 days?

2 calendar months

I will have a return ticket scheduled for the full 4 months. I don't think this is a problem and the consulate in Toronto will have already seen the dates on it. But please feel free to comment.

No problem

Legaspi is a nice little town with a huge volcano in its back yard. Cebu is a traffic nightmare but it also has some interesting places to visit (I particularly like the Taoist temple). It's a 2 hour ferry ride and a 1+ hour drive to get to Legaspi or a 1 hour flight to get to Cebu. However, the primary purpose of the trip is to extend my visa. Which office would you choose or is there no real preference?

I looked at the extension form and read a comment of Salty Dog's. The instructions say complete all the spaces on the form. Does anyone know what page 2 is for? Who, for example, is the Petitioner? I am pretty sure I am the Applicant.

The form they give you at immigration has no page 2, do not worry about page 2

When I get to the end of the 4 months, I wondered if I would need an ECC. It seems you need an ECC-A if you have stayed 6 months or more or an ECC-B if you hold a valid ACR_I card and plan on returning. I do plan on returning and it will be about 8 months, or less, after I leave so within the validity of both the ACR-I card and the ECC-B (which is one year). So, do I need the ECC-B? (You can only get this at the main BI office or at the airport)

You will NOT need an ECC after 4 months, its is after 6 months and as a tourist it can only be done at immigration offices in

Manila, Mandaue and Davao

So then I happened across the Annual Reporting 2014 memo. As a registered alien, you need to appear for annual reporting except in certain circumstances which includes being out of the country. When you get back, you have 30 days "to pay" (it didn't say you have 30 days to complete the Annual Reporting!).

Annual reporting must be done within the first 2 month of the year,  before end of february. Do not worry about that

as a tourist you will be at immigration every 2 months anyway

Edited by Woolf

SkyMan

As I understand it, the first two month extension past 59 days comes with an ACR-I card. I do want one of these in order to get set up with a bank account. The manager of the branch I intend to deal with has already said he needs it.

You pay for it on the first extension but you will likely not receive it before you depart. In fact, you may never get it.

4. You can also extend on Mactan so you can avoid Cebu traffic. Also, traffic is a bit bad now because of Christmas but it settles back down after Sinulog in the latter part of January.

6. ECC not required unless you stay over 6 months.

7. Annual reporting not required for tourists.

Don't sweat the extension. Bring money, passport, and pen.

Edited by SkyMan

Woolf

7. Annual reporting not required for tourists.

If you go for a tourist extension in january or february they will charge you for the annual report

Jim Sibbick

Extensions  can be done up to a month in advance

Return date does not have to be within the time of your 59 day visa

The number of days in the extension will depend when you extend. The actual extension is exactly 2 months. So over July/August. that will be 62 days. Over February March, that will be 59 days.

Emigration clearance certificate is after 6 months, not 4.

Annual reporting for tourrists is done as part of the extension in January or February, if you arrive before end of November

• Like 1

Monsoon

Cebu is a cakewalk so far as traffic goes. 

So is getting an extension to a tourist visa. 

Although I have been to other immigration offices, including the HQ. I never went to one in Cebu. I paid some travel agent in Fuente 500 pesos to handle it for me.