Need advice from a business owner who has made it work

Well that's not nice---- no contact info on that post just general info and price of what a pension house sells for--- I didn't think that would be advertising :(

• Like 1
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Portaz

• SomeRandomGuy

• spooks

• shadow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Farming, farming, farming. Food is the ultimate commodity for sell, barter, or trade. The Philippines population is expected to go from 92 million to 140 million by 2035 all the while depleting their

I guess I could say we made it work. I came here in 2003 with US $6000 in my pocket, and no outside income or savings. I'm still here.   One of our first ventures was in the food business. THE best

Everything you have described as being bad you will experience here but in different ways   If some one is asked to pay back and gets upset, here you may get dead.   Respect is a word and am sorry

Headed that way

Business wise the only thing that the Philippines has going for it is cheap labor.   Find a product that you can manufacture in the Philippines and sell in your home country where you can get top dollar and that can be produced using locally available material and locally sourced machinery.   Find your raw materials first, the quality can be horrible and they will keep trying to downgrade the quality as you do business with them.   Pay for 1 mm galvanized and you will probably really get .7mm or the finish quality will start to turn to shit.

• Like 3
charlest27

Start small rise a few chickens sell the extra eggs.Think small People here think daily needs and price all of the time.

One guy i talked to brought a house and built a pool with outside shower out side grill and small cottage. Fence around it also . He invites the Local police to come for a swim once a month with there familys. Sunday he rents the pool out to familys for birthdays partys. Not mush money there but every local has his back and he has had no problems living there. He told me he supports Local law enforement for all there hard work. He likes to swim so the money he makes from the partys goes to give back to local law enforcement for the food and drink. He refused to tell me where he lived i was in Manila though.

• Like 1

I strongly recommend what some others have said- and that is income property .  Find someplace  close to a university, college, training school etc and build a boarding house.

That said, I have looked at maybe 20 of them in the next month as my gf is about to build one . Some of them i wouldnt let my dog stay in . However kids come from the provinces and they have very little money and finding a place to stay for between 1000 and 1500 a month gives them the opportunity to go to school.   Again you have to compete against the locals - which in most things means forget quality  and space and go for cheap , cheaper and if possible cheapest !

..and you end up with a drug den

Hi guys,

Sorry I am post limited so I will try to make it count. I'm very humbled by the many responses. I'm not silly enough to think I know everything and although I'm really confident in my idea I had never thought of the goals being moved or immitAtion. In my interactions with philippino's here I find them to be hard working but always looking for an easy way out too. I find it interesting they are programmed to leave the Phil's at all cost when really the grass isn't much greener elsewhere. So back to my situation, I have built a very difficult animal supply business from nothing to 5 million aud turnover in a super super competitive market with ppl who don't like to pay their bills and get angry when I ask for payment and these are white Aussies! Now my average profit is 18%gp less tax etc etc I am always paying tax lol, anyway I have a house a few cars and lots of "stuff" but I feel its useless . I had my parents in law here for 9 months and get couldn't handle the pace and retreated to cebu after pretty much abandoning us. Things are ok with them now but I won't forget what they did but we did give them a house rent free for as long as they want it (but we are still seen as bad guys cause I refuse to give them cash lol ). So my thoughts were that I could gain around 50% gp with restaurant according to connections we have there who have managed a few businesses inc jollibee and other smaller ones, my aim was. P100000 per week. Your posts have told me that's a pile dream basically so other than that my other option is to sell my house here for around. 1.2 m aud and by off the plan at approx 480k cash after mortgage paid out and gain rent of $500 per week which equates to around p80000 per month and buy house and car(which is my passion btw) and retire . Problem is I'm only 39 with a 28 year old wife and a 28 month old daughter . The reason I wanted to move to cebu is for my daughter to learn respect , multiple languages and the value if helping ppl. In oz kids do not respect anyone and in my opinion are experimenting with sex and drugs at 11 years old is just not acceptable. I know this comes back to parents but over there it doesn't seem that way to me although maybe I'm wrong, I actually originally wanted a resort on bantayan island ( not sure if it exists any more) but I met a few ex pats there who treated the locals like animals and it broke my heart. Sorry for the long rambling post but please comment as appropriate in either scenario we would leave oz with between 250 and 300k and either a mortgage covered by rental or rental income and no mortgage depending on if we se everything.

Thanks guys

Scott

• Like 3

Everything you have described as being bad you will experience here but in different ways

If some one is asked to pay back and gets upset, here you may get dead.

Respect is a word and am sorry to say you will not get any more respect here. Drugs and underage sex with kids sprouting from barely pubescent girls is far too common place.

DO NOT BRING YOUR WEALTH HERE, LEAVE IT AT HOME.

The Philippines is a grave yard for well meaning good intended foreigners wanting to do the right thing, the welcome mat is rolled out for you, until you have nothing left to give.

Do not make the same mistake that too many others have already made, there is no need.

Instead come here with interests that are hobby and fun to do and fulfill the time that you have.

You clearly have more than sufficient assets to have a well balanced investment portfolio with good income and growth, why waste it?

• Like 8

Like James, I intend to go into farming when I "retire" - mainly to be able to feed the family and sell if there is anything extra. My wife and I have been working in the Middle East for some time now and we have always been on the lookout to start "something" back in Cebu. Years have passed and the time will soon be upon us to say goodbye here - and we still haven't found the "right" idea other than the farming one. My brother-in-law, on the other hand, never left the Philippines to work, started off working in the factory where his dad worked then quit and set up a money-lending biz initially. He now also sells second-hand motorbikes. He has done well and perhaps we will invest some money in his businesses.

A friend of ours from Manila was talking about franchising - fast food outlets such as Jolibee, Mang Inasal, McDonald's, etc offer franchises. You need a big amount to invest (millions I heard) and a good location. They will help with training staff and setting up the outlet and the beauty of these brands are that they are already established and no one can "steal" the idea. Downside is that it will take some money and some effort on your part. And you also need some good "connections" to make everything run smoothly.

• Like 1

I am impressed with your candor. You're certainly going all out to give the members a clear idea of what you hope to accomplish. Since you put it in the form of a request for advice, here is mine.

From your comments above, you seem to have much more than business as the issue. Pretty much sounds like you're looking for a new start to your life with the associated baggage you have acquired. Initially, as I read your comments and the replies, I was thinking only in terms of the "business" decision you were making. However, your comments suggest it is more than just business you're focused on.

Several members have indicated you can make a life here with the amount of cash you have available. From your description, if that fails (the cash runs out) you don't seem to have a plan B.

I have a business here which did not cost so much to start up (the 200k AuD you referred to). However, it did run into the tens of thousands to get started. For that, it employees more than a dozen people, and provides a steady income. However, it is not enough to live on for my family, at least not by western standards. In fact, the gains made are often depleted by the need to fix unexpected problems such as those caused by the recent SUPERTYPHOON.

There are members who report frequently about their successes operating businesses. So, it is pretty well known you CAN have success. However, the risks members have mentioned are quite real. I think it was Paul the forum owner who made one of the initial comments that to acquire a small fortune here, bring a large one to start. Heed his advice.

• Like 2

why not start a small bar, or somthing, invest, lets say 10-15 th. dollar max..

do it for two years and see all the pitfalls of the ''Philippine'' hospitality industry..

if after two years you actually doing oke, expand ..or do your thing you planned.

under NO circumstances plan a business ''oversea'' come here and start it.... beyond unlikely you will succeed !!!!

• Like 1

I actually do have a back up, that's come back to oz my wife and daughter have passports and visas so that's ok and we would have a house that we own. Of course it's not just a drive to do business but to do the best for my family. I find myself constantly disappointed in australia when rasist things are said and done and the way it's heading saddens me. I said earlier I had brain surgury earlier this year which is thankfully all clear but I don't want to work 80 hours a week here just to give 49 percent to

The government ! In my way of thinking maybe including corruption the profit should be similar but the way of life there is less crazy than here. Mainly though in my wife's family there the kids speak at least 3 languages , kiss there elders hand and show respect weather fake or real. Kids here are lucky if they can speak English correctly lol. I know the grass isn't always greener but I love it every time I'm there, I love driving , the super malls the videoke etc not a huge fan of food but hey maybe I will loose a few kilos . So our plan right now is head over there for 3 weeks live in our house with the inlaws no touring just research and talk to ppl, just live and exist as cheap as we can or will and make a decision before jumping into it, if that fails and I end up back here I will be sad but work something out... Always do

• Like 4

it's funny how things work I mean mc Donald's and KFC are foreign owned and very successful in their own right

My understanding is that those are franchises that are owned and operated by Filipinos

• Like 1

Plenty of good advise here, heed it well from some who has lived here, like me, for many years.

If you do start up here in Cebu, DO NOT employ family. We did twice and got ripped off both times.

Even family members who we had helped beyond belief, births, appendix operations, T.B. Broken Limbs, etc, even funerals, meant nothing when they could get their hands on our cash.

IF you do business here, sit right next to the cash register and NEVER let anyone near it.

Best business I found here and we are now involved in, build properties to rent, middle to high end in the right locations.

Find good renters and you have chance.

Sure, it has its ups and downs, but overall, it is the best business with any real chance of giving you an income.

• Like 5

Let me give you two stories of expats that opened a food business and have both done well on Camotes Island.

John at Cindys Refreshments started a little fast food shop, sort of a Jollibee with hamburgers, etc and just celebrated their 3rd anniversary as is now expanding.

Paul/Jeff started Camotes Island bar & grill a little over a year ago and are making a profit.

It can be done so don't let the doubters stop you but look at supply and demand and having some kind of niche.

Another point and this is for all business. You need outstanding customer service. The Philippines as a rule has poor business customer service.

Good luck!

• Like 3

hats off to you .... very industrious and successful at 39.      You have the resources to take your time.  Come to cebu, buy and live in Condo in the area your are thinking of .  Get consultants to help you study your business plan...make connections...take your time.  leave your money in OZ.   A hard working astute businessman can make it here...but oh are there pitfalls. 

If you are thinking for your kids wellbeing.. seriously consider the CRAP schools here in CEBU.   If you send them to the Affluent schools...their classmates will exhibit the same disrespectful attitudes.     

Edited by samatm
  • Like 4