Internet via Satellite?

Anyone having experience getting Internet via Satellite? Maybe from a non-philippine provider?

Internet really sucks here, no matter which provider.

Almost anything offered above dial-up in the Philippines will be better than Satellite internet.

Satellite internet has bad latency/lag for each request because of the 22,000+ mile distance between the Satellites and earth, each request/response makes that 22,000+ mile trip 4 times... plus the usual ground route. I believe the latency is usually about 20 time higher than other type of internet connections.

Rain can also block the signal.

Edited by T.S.
senseless

On top of the latency it's also obscenely expensive to get sat net. It'd be cheaper to just move.

• Like 1
miles-high

Depends on what you like to do with... Internet email (pop3 or IMAP, not web-based) good enough with the sat connection from anywhere, rain or shine, even from my car driving in the jungle, anything else, see above posts... :)

Davaoeno

I had sat internet installed in my house in the Dominican Republic.  It cost $4000 to get it installed and cost $200 a month . That was 6 years ago 

SkyMan

From what I understand, sat internet is download only. You need a ground ISP to send your website request to the sat provider who then beams the page to you via sat. Most people download far more than upload but it still sucks and costs a lot. To get upload via sat you'd need a quite large dish/amplifier.

At least that's how I understand it to work from when I first looked into it.

I could get two-way Internet in Europe for about $150 a month but never tried how good it is. That was several years ago already too. So I thought the same would be available here in Asia.

I could get two-way Internet in Europe for about $150 a month but never tried how good it is. That was several years ago already too. So I thought the same would be available here in Asia.

ha ha :cool:

From what I understand, sat internet is download only. You need a ground ISP to send your website request to the sat provider who then beams the page to you via sat. Most people download far more than upload but it still sucks and costs a lot. To get upload via sat you'd need a quite large dish/amplifier.

At least that's how I understand it to work from when I first looked into it.

It worked like that in the past, but is mostly two way now.

Two way service has been available in the U.S. since 2000 when StarBand launched.

I am not sure when it became available in the Philippines, but I see that it is offered there.

We had satellite internet in France before moving here due to remote location. The French government has committed that all homes will have coverage by 2015 or similiar. For those with no ability via fibre or cable, they subsidise the kit and installation cost by 80%.

Kit of dish, transponder/receiver, cable, mounts, sat finder, modem etc etc was 299 Euros (with 240 being given back to us!!!). Three packages were available, we had the 4GB one and it cost around 30 Euros per month.

Heavy rain did indeed stop the signal but normal rain did not. High winds did not affect things as the dish was ground mounted in a field behind our house. I did think of bringing it over here, but left it at the house, also was too busy to dismantle it.

One thing we did was to upgrade the co-ax cable from the dish to the modem as we were running close to 100 mtrs of cable and did not want signal drop out etc.

It was fine for what we did with it, but i guess there are those who it would not suit.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

My friend has satellite internet at his beach house. It was great 3 years ago but now its like everything else here technology wise - it sucks.