Required Reading For my Two Girls

rainymike

rainymike

I've decided that part of the education for my two young girls will be reading LinC when they are a little older. I fully intend to raise them here in the Philippines.

LOL ... I think it provides tremendous insight into the minds of us 'foreigners'. When they get old enough, I will get out of their faces and let them run their lives for themselves. BUT, I will try to arm them with useful information. Then they can chat, date or marry whomever they wish - to their hearts desire.

So what do you all think about what they will think? (Besides the occasional, 'Geez dad, I can't believe you said that.')

• Admin (Retired)
broden

this post is for the future version of your daughters

Dad's been drinking again. take his keys away

• Like 4
rainymike

Probably not funny?

LOL ... it would be true for one girl and both boys. But the secret has already been let out of the bag.

Mr. Mike

I might suggest they read all of the "classics" as well! However, you may define them. Fiction, non fiction, the great authors.

Edited by Mr. Mike
  • Like 3
rainymike

I might suggest they read all of the "classics" as well! However, you may define them. Fiction, non fiction, the great authors.

Hmmm ... after LinC, I will probably recommend that they read "The Art of War." After that, I'll do a Steve Jobs and let them decide on their own.

• Like 1

my daughter started reading this forum when she was 14, when  i had her look at the then-new thread about being called "hey joe".  she's been laughing, shaking her head, and calling us all "clueless old people" ever since.

all in all i think it has been a good education for her regarding what men are really like.  the upcoming question is when will i let her start posting here.

• Like 1
ed villas

why not let them read the OTHER FORUM the DK that would make any father/parent proud for their child to read

rainymike
all in all i think it has been a good education for her regarding what men are really like.  the upcoming question is when will i let her start posting here.

My thoughts exactly. LOL ... I seriously doubt that anything that I have to tell the girls will be believed by them (once their in their teens). Better to see and hear from the posters themselves.

As for Whippy. Let's be honest. I think all guys at one point or another in their lives thought in a similar fashion. He's fun to poke fun at, but maybe we're really poking fun at ourselves at one time or another. (LOL ... now I can just hear my daughters going ... "Eeeeww! Dad"

Edited by rainymike
Canuck Joe

I'm not poking fun at Whippy...just protecting my girl :-)

besides some here say its his online persona and most posts are satire...anyway back on track

how to give our girls the most ammunition to handle foreigners and men in general...and guarding against not being just another notch on someone's belt,used and discarded then trophied online.

as far as whippy goes, my daughter has learned to appreciate washing machines, christmas, and ovens so i don't think she'll be having to watch out for him.  i'm more concerned about how she is learning to appreciate the young local studs.  now they i'll have to watch out for. 

truth is, girls here (at least in the middle to upper middle classes) do grow up more sheltered than than they do back home.  that can be good, but it also leaves them a bit unprepared for when they are older.  one of the reasons we made sure our little one went to a high school with boys.  so this forum actually does help open her eyes a bit and understand that what a boy says and what he's thinking are not always the same thing.  and of course i'm not so naive as to believe that what little one tells me is the same as what she is actually doing/thinking.

little one does, by the way, have access to the dk.  i suppose that i should take it as a sign that she is progressing well in that she takes it all in stride and for the most part doesn't pay attention to any of it--she has her own internet world with its own little dramas to hold her attention.

• Like 1
spritsail

22 volumes of Dickens would not go amiss, Facts, Facts nothin but Facts as Dickens said in his book, Tale of Two Cities, What was good for me is good for my own daughters who can read through Tolstoy"s War and Peace, Dostevsky " The Idiot, and Anthony's Beavers Stalingrad and Fall of Berlin  whilst they are on holiday.Just like I had to. Not to mention 100 curry recipes.  

• Like 1