I need a motorbike (Yamaha SZ16 ?) and I need a license, tags and insurance

I can only reiterate all the warning comments regarding learning to ride here. I have been riding for the past 40-odd years - on European, Brazilian, Thai and, for the last seven years, Philippine roads. This just isn't the place to learn. Simply trying to familiarize yourself with riding controls (that need to be automatic rather than consciously thought out) is a recipe for disaster. Both myself and many others with years of riding under their belts can still be surprised by a new variation of potentially lethal behavior on a daily basis. And, as stated by a previous poster, a stay in hospital following an "off" would just make matters worse. Please reconsider this course of cation until you have done an MSF course or similar and stick to trikes or taxis on your initial visit. Not an expensive option and one that gives you a chance to get the basics under your belt before venturing out on local roads here. 

David_LivinginTalisay

I can only reiterate all the warning comments regarding learning to ride here. I have been riding for the past 40-odd years - on European, Brazilian, Thai and, for the last seven years, Philippine roads. This just isn't the place to learn. Simply trying to familiarize yourself with riding controls (that need to be automatic rather than consciously thought out) is a recipe for disaster. Both myself and many others with years of riding under their belts can still be surprised by a new variation of potentially lethal behavior on a daily basis. And, as stated by a previous poster, a stay in hospital following an "off" would just make matters worse. Please reconsider this course of cation until you have done an MSF course or similar and stick to trikes or taxis on your initial visit. Not an expensive option and one that gives you a chance to get the basics under your belt before venturing out on local roads here. 

Barry was a Police motorcyclist in the UK, so he does know something about riding them and SAFETY.

The UK Police follow a handbook called 'ROADCRAFT' which the Institute of Advanced Motorcyclists base there Training and IAM Test on.   I failed the IAM Test the 1st time (Not 'Making Progress' going too slow - not overtaking a slower vehicle where opportunity presented itself to do so, but as there was a roundabout approaching I deemed it safer and more economical to wait until after negotiating the roundabout.  I also broke a 30kph speed limit, so was going too fast; but the Examiner, who follows you on his motorcycle, during the test, did take me back and point out the new sign limit sign, but admitted I would not have been given a 'Ticket', as that particular new Dual-carriage-way was not officially 'adopted' and it  become 50mph speed limit when is was.  I joined the IAM Group in Surrey and got some good advice and riding tips from Police Class 1 Holders (Examiners).  I easily passed the IAM Test after that 'Training'.   

The best/most important TIP that you need to drill yourself on until it becomes automatic reaction is the LIFE SAVER - a glance over your shoulder in the direction you intend to turn, just before executing such turn in that direction (to make sure nothing has 'crept' up, out of sound (no horns) and vision (mirror blind spots, and looking on the other side, prior to turning).

I am sure Barry will echo the importance of making such LIFE SAVER glance, to be done everytime (especially in the Philippines and anywhere they don't have good training, testing and upholding of the law ie no 'undertaking' - you see that happening all the time in the Philippines!

• Like 1
thebob

Metric tools only. SAE aren't used anymore except for imported "antiquated" bikes.

Cebu isn't a good place to learn to ride, Talisay even more so, it is brutal there. If you really need transport, at the minimum get an automatic scooter with a tricycle, but I don't recommend that either.

• Like 1
johnboy999

The best/most important TIP that you need to drill yourself on until it becomes automatic reaction is the LIFE SAVER - a glance over your shoulder in the direction you intend to turn, just before executing such turn in that direction (to make sure nothing has 'crept' up, out of sound (no horns) and vision (mirror blind spots, and looking on the other side, prior to turning). I am sure Barry will echo the importance of making such LIFE SAVER glance, to be done everytime (especially in the Philippines and anywhere they don't have good training, testing and upholding of the law ie no 'undertaking' - you see that happening all the time in the Philippines!

I totally agree with this - it's saved me a couple of times here where I've been making a left hand turn off the highway. Each time, I've signalled and moved into the centre of the road and been about to complete the manoeuvre when I've been overtaken by retards on my LEFT, the direction in which I'm turning, instead of continuing down the highway and passing on my right! The lifesaver and using my mirrors has saved an accident on both occasions.

Don't assume that other drivers/riders here have the same discipline or training that you have had, because many of them prove they haven't. Common sense should tell you not to overtake someone that's about to turn across your path, but it's never a good idea to assume other drivers here have any common sense! Defensive driving techniques are the key to surviving here and minimising the chances of getting into accidents. For example, slow down or even be prepared to stop when going into a blind curve as not everyone here seems to know what side of the road to take corners on!

To the OP, listen to what everyone is saying here if you've not ridden a bike before. Get yourself some tuition or go on a course before you come here so that you at least know the basics before your boots hit the ground here. You want your concentration to be on what other drivers are doing, whether or not a kid is going to run across the highway in front of you or a bus is going to try running you off the road, not on trying to learn how to use a manual clutch, etc.

• Like 1

If you're set on riding and can't get any tuition (thanks love that word), you should at the very minimum study hours of YouTube videos on riding a motorcycle. Be sure to watch some videos of crash aftermath's to see how serious it can be.

• Like 1

I'd just like to point out that for the cost of 68000php for an sz16, you could probably get about 600 average taxi rides in Cebu City. More or less depending on your location. That's not including gas, maintenance etc, because it really won't be much. But, they are frequent, air conditioned, much safer than learning to ride here, although you'll get a few scares now and then. You can also easily haul your groceries, or anything else you choose to buy, without having to worry about stowing it on your bike. Now if you decide to take a jeepney, you could extend that money into probably 6000 rides. I can't stand riding jeepneys though, but will when I'm feeling cheap. I was offered to ride my wife's relative's motorbike here, and I declined. I'll ride anywhere out in the province, but I just don't feel like bothering to ride in this city. Not worth it IMHO.

I'd just like to point out that for the cost of 68000php for an sz16, you could probably get about 600 average taxi rides

good point, not to mention parking and security hassles.