Sign in to follow this  
JamesMusslewhite

So Lets Talk About Designing Boats, Bangkas, and Pumpboats and Boat Motors

JamesMusslewhite

I have a project that I plan on starting in about 3 months where I will be using a 32 foot running board from a calamari bangka and extending to a length of 38 feet. In the thread I realized that there may be many with or planning to buy or build a boat for themselves. That there will be questions of materials needed, material cost, suppliers as well as questions on design issues and boat motors. It is for this reason I started this thread. This can be a place where members can Q&A, give advice, share experiences, and openly share this information. I am sure this will be a topic of interest for many of members and visitors alike.

So let's talk about boats, bangkas, pumpboats; and their designs, construction issues, helpful tips, and pitfalls as well as the motors. If a member has previously posted a thread on these subjects than please link them here in a post so I and others can find them and learn from and even contribute to them as well.

389341_3251179438211_1382872135_n.jpg

540340_3251188598440_2111287769_n.jpg

582206_3251261880272_1451036188_n.jpg

These first pictures above are of my little 32 foot blue mahogany beast that my father-in-law built for me just before we moved here in 2008. This one has traveled several times between Surigao and Bohol but was a bit clumsy in the deep blue trench. It is a very heavy but durable design that could handle the unforgiving rocks of the shallow shorelines very well. It was driven by a 9hp Briggs & Stratten. I then purchased a 30 foot traditional carved solid hull which was great for getting around the mangroves but not really for the deep water and was useful in building the lobster house. I sold it a few years back to a local friend who was a relative of the man who carved the boat from a solid tree trunk.

575942_3251802173779_1617523034_n.jpg

548398_3251805013850_300116184_n.jpg

542136_3251622409285_1679986308_n.jpg

The three photos above are of my third boat that we kept at the beach lot. It was a 32 foot light weight (thin plywood bottom) construction was perfect for fishing in deep blue trench but proved just too thin to haul weight and sized loads and just too flimsy against the rocks of the shallows. It was driven by a 9hp Briggs & Stratten until decided to scrapped this one over two year ago.

I purchased my forth boat a 32 foot calamari boat two years ago (pictured below) and we had it moved it to the river inlet shoreline property of a very close local friend and then put it in the river and had it towed over to Dinagat Island where we then stripped all the wood down to the solid wood hull board. I purchased the boat because of the 32 foot thick solid piece hull board which is vary rare to find now that length. It is thick enough to withstand the pounding a hull can receive when in the shallows around the islands. In a few months we will be completely moved over to the farm full-time and I will start reconstructing the ribs and build the new hull to be extended an additional six feet and widened four to six feet width.

549301_3252128141928_359821616_n.jpg

380606_3252135622115_1729163870_n.jpg

581462_3252050379984_172610970_n.jpg

392460_3252050779994_1025704485_n.jpg

575971_3252051140003_1682605567_n.jpg

When I finish extending the bow and widen the frame the boat will be approximately 38-42 foot in length and constructed and configured to be quite similar to the boats pictured in the two photos below..

544731_3250727146904_1077570146_n.jpg

522330_3250727626916_101077804_n.jpg

I am looking right now at 18-24 hp diesel motors right now to use to power the boat. It should be a solid all-around utility boat for my needs.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 3

Alan S

The one "boat" I would like, if I could find one and afford it, is a DUKW.

There were loads around the Philippines and I'll bet that there is still one (or more) somewhere.

Finding it and restoring it would be the problem, but when done, you would have an awesome vessel that would go anywhere.

Or, talking of design, they were designed by Rod Stephens, of Spakman and Stephens.

• Like 1

JamesMusslewhite

Agree, I just moved the thread.

cheesemiz

Im in the final stage of building a 12' fiberglass jetboat powered by kawasaki 550. I just added live bait tank and fishing rod holders. I will be building a trailer so its 1 man launch and load take anywhere.

Can do bohol or jump over negros.

post-15230-0-79909200-1387078138_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

JamesMusslewhite

Im in the final stage of building a 12' fiberglass jetboat powered by kawasaki 550. I just added live bait tank and fishing rod holders. I will be building a trailer so its 1 man launch and load take anywhere.

Can do bohol or jump over negros.

That is a good looking project you have working there. I hope you have other pictures or videos during the construction process of the hull, and if you have any drawings or plans of the boat I certainly hope you decide to post to this thread, as I am sure there are other members who may be very interested in building such a boat.

philuk

If you look here    http://www.svensons.com/boat/

lots of free boat plans, I realise most of them will not be suitable for the needs of the members on here, but will give a good insite into how to design what is needed, and cunstruction methods.

• Like 1

pakrat

" I purchased the boat because of the 32 foot thick solid piece hull board which is vary rare to find now that length. It is thick enough to withstand the pounding a hull can receive when in the shallows around the islands. "

32 foot chunk of mahogany? That sure sounds like a nice boat bottom! i dont get to go out on pump boat near as much as i would like, and would love to hear more about how they are built and designed. Especially the factors that make them more "blue water" friendly.

Rereading some of the OP, it looks like rigidity seems to be a big factor for inter-island work, with the ability to take a beating for the shallows (1/4 inch ply and limestone does not sound like a happy combination).

Jim Sibbick

I do not plan to build anything.

I plan to either buy a second hand boat or have one built to specifications.

I want a large bangka boat to live on and travel.

I got the idea at the pier in Ormoc City watching the bangka/pump boat to Pilar. It is still an outrigger boat but huge. It was 2 decks, with bathroom at rear, licenced to carry 162 passengers.

I was thinking that there is plenty of space in the upper deck for 2 bedrooms. Then living would be down stairs. As it already has a bathroom, the plumbing is in place. Maybe put a few solar panels on top and sides for electricity. Also, if the Superferry can have Dream Sattelite while sailing, I imagine adding sattelite TV will not be too hard.

• Like 3

For Real

What firearms do you guys carry on boats between the islands?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Headshot

I do not plan to build anything.

I plan to either buy a second hand boat or have one built to specifications.

I want a large bangka boat to live on and travel.

I got the idea at the pier in Ormoc City watching the bangka/pump boat to Pilar. It is still an outrigger boat but huge. It was 2 decks, with bathroom at rear, licenced to carry 162 passengers.

I was thinking that there is plenty of space in the upper deck for 2 bedrooms. Then living would be down stairs. As it already has a bathroom, the plumbing is in place. Maybe put a few solar panels on top and sides for electricity. Also, if the Superferry can have Dream Sattelite while sailing, I imagine adding sattelite TV will not be too hard.

A TV satellite dish has to be pointed directly at the satellite for good reception...some thing that isn't all that easy if the boat surface is moving (from waves or changes in direction). Even when anchored, there is movement on a boat. I'm sure it is possible to do, but probably not cheap.