What is China thinking, and to what end?

Majorsco

Correlations to WWII capabilities in explaining Chinese tactics are ignoring the huge gap in US vs Chinese capabilities are ignoring the difference in today's capability.

China is way behind modern military Air Forces and navies that parity Is a fantasy. Ground based army in China is a different matter. Occupation of China would be a loss easily.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Majorsco

• Mr. Mike

• Brucewayne

• rainymike

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

agreed.. no need to feed the trolls...

it depends on whether the poster is serious or just trying to provoke. There is no point in arguing (or discussing) with a flamer.

More like the dumb ass Chinese sailors can't control their boats so the US had to maneuver to avoid sinking the Chinese garbage barge they call their Navy.   See, I can spout sill crap just as well

udonthani

the way the Chinese look at it is that the United States is this fluke, modernist, temporary European colonialist abberration. I don't think many Americans quite realise this. They are just biding, their time.

• Like 2
Majorsco

the way the Chinese look at it is that the United States is this fluke, modernist, temporary European colonialist abberration. I don't think many Americans quite realise this. They are just biding, their time.

Militarily they would be very, very wrong. Politically, who knows? Obama is an unpredictable wimp. Normal presidents if both parties would give confident feedback to China's adventurism based on global law norms.

• Like 1
udonthani

the United States can not be certain that it will enjoy the military advantage it revels in now, a couple of centuries hence. You know that and so do I.

and so does China.

musicman666

The Chinese are similar to the jews....they are always playing the long game....drop by drop .....and then they are eventually running the whole show. It may not happen in your own lifetime but your kids might witness the final outcome. The tell tale signs are that the these potentially dominant factions are strong on family and keeping it pure....backing each other up on every turn and dividing the pitiful hedonistic culture of west.

these potentially dominant factions are strong on family and keeping it pure....

So basically your saying the Chinese are racist's

udonthani

the Chinese are not like the Jews at all except on a very superficial level in that it is kind of tempting to draw comparisons, with their business capabilities.

the Chinese have their own vast homeland which they have possessed, continuously, without a break, unlike the Jews for 5,000 plus years. We are talking about a land area very similar in sise to the United States.

all the Jews have today is a country the sise of Lake Michigan. No comparison.

musicman666

the Chinese are not like the Jews at all except on a very superficial level in that it is kind of tempting to draw comparisons, with their business capabilities.

the Chinese have their own vast homeland which they have possessed, continuously, without a break, unlike the Jews for 5,000 plus years. We are talking about a land area very similar in sise to the United States.

all the Jews have today is a country the sise of Lake Michigan. No comparison.

nothing to do with land volume whatsoever.... Edited by musicman666
Majorsco

the United States can not be certain that it will enjoy the military advantage it revels in now, a couple of centuries hence. You know that and so do I.

and so does China.

Anything can happen. China may reveal that invented the chia pet as the next global weapon.

All we can go on is what is in front of Us now.

udonthani

All we can go on is what is in front of Us now.

true of course it is like shagging women or driving in traffic.

you only see the one in front :)

anything over 10 years you cannot logistically plan for and even that is optimistic.

Mr. Mike

A couple of points..

The term duty trawler was what the navy called the ubiquitous Soviet Elint collecting platforms (poorly disguised as fishing boats) that  sometimes tailed US fleets while at sea.

I sometimes think we tend to overstate China's so called... long range thinking and planning. If they were such great forward thinkers, they should have been a superpower centuries ago.

While aircraft carriers are large targets, the supercarriers of today can be very hard to locate, attack and sink. They have multiple layers of threat detection, and defense. They can absorb tremendous punishment, and still conduct flight operations. Damage control and firefighting drills are constantly conducted and the flight deck can be patched up quickly if necessary.

Edited by Mr. Mike
  • Like 2

I am no expert, but I do read a lot of Tom Clancy novels! Ha ha!

I wonder if an aircraft carrier could survive be shot at by say maybe 10 anti-ship missiles at one time. I would tend to doubt it.

thebob

While aircraft carriers are large targets, the supercarriers of today can be very hard to locate, attack and sink. They have multiple layers of threat detection, and defense. They can absorb tremendous punishment, and still conduct flight operations. Damage control and firefighting drills are constantly conducted and the flight deck can be patched up quickly if necessary.

Satellites see all. The Chinese DF-21D is a very asymmetric weapon that negates the sphere of carrier operational area.

"China is developing what could be seen as the ultimate such weapon, a real nightmare for the U.S. Navy. Since at least the mid-1990s, Beijing has been developing a highly advanced ballistic missile, the DF-21D, popularly dubbed “the carrier-killer.” On paper, such a missile could truly complicate Washington’s ability to move naval vessels as a hedge against China’s growing military might.

How the missile works is key to understanding its deadly potential. The weapon is mobile, making its detection difficult — even under the best of circumstances. When fired, the missile is guided using advanced radar, satellites and possibly even an unmanned aerial vehicle. Various reports indicate it has a maneuverable warhead potentially capable of defeating missile-defense systems. It slams down on its target — an oceangoing vessel like an aircraft carrier — at speeds of Mach 10 to 12. Even more frightening, the missile allegedly holds the ability to attack naval vessels up to approximately 1,000 miles away, outranging by many times the strike range of all U.S. aircraft aboard existing carriers.

Until recently, considering the science fiction-like description of such a weapon, many doubted the ability of China’s still-evolving defense industry to develop the missile. Many have pointed to the inability of Soviet engineers in the 1970s to develop similar weapons. Hitting a moving target on the high seas is not an easy feat; only a world-class scientific and defense industry would even make the attempt.

However, simply dismissing China’s capability to develop such a missile may have been wishful thinking. A recent report from the Washington-based Jamestown Foundation mined Chinese sources and publicly available information to conclude that America has reason to worry.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/31/kazianis-chinas-carrier-killer-missile/#ixzz2nsAFuV96 

Mr. Mike

I am no expert, but I do read a lot of Tom Clancy novels! Ha ha!

I wonder if an aircraft carrier could survive be shot at by say maybe 10 anti-ship missiles at one time. I would tend to doubt it.

That would be called "swarming" and yes, a carrier could very well survive because a fraction, if any, of the missiles would make it to the (prime) target. Now if  30/40 missiles were inbound...there is a limit of course. You would be amazed how well a battle group can defend itself.

These scenerios have been anticipated and appropriate countermeasures planned for.... for years!

the.lone.gunman

Pity the fool who attacks the US pacific fleet. Japan tried it at Pearl Harbour and got Nuked for their trouble.The US would retaliate with overwhelming force if attacked. Just like after 911, the US destroyed Afghanistan and Iraq and continue to hunt in the middle east with drones and they aren't done yet. I think the carriers are a pretty safe ride.

• Like 2