Want to be able to run a refrigerator and deep freezer...

... but still be able to use a smaller inverter / less power draw? 

A guy who is on an alternative energy forum that I am also on, recently was asked about this scenario.

He said that he has a N/O (Normally Open) relay connected to the circuit that feeds his refrigerator compressor. When the refrigerator compressor energizes, it kills the power feeding the freezer, and allows the refrigerator only to run.

When the refrigerator compressor cuts off, the relay de-energizes and allows power to then flow to the deep freezer, allowing it to run. It cycles like that all day long, every day. 

In fact, he said it has been running like that since 1997, with no issues. I am under the impression this has not been with the same appliances all this time, though. :D

• Admin (Retired)
broden

remember too the fuller packed you keep your freezer the less it will have to run

• Like 1
Brucewayne

remember too the fuller packed you keep your freezer the less it will have to run

True, but be careful not to block any flow vents or you will be back to square one.

Don't see how this saves energy.

All he's doing is to possibly allow both the refrigerator and freezer to go beyond their set temperatures.

Neither should be running continuously, if working properly they should shut themselves off. 

It will NOT save energy, but it will prevent both compressors run at the same time, that way a smaller inverter can be used

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 2
Scottiev

you might look into propane/gas freezers and refridgerators also..mine were fairly efficient.. but the way to go if you can is are 12 v dc ones..very very good for living off the grid. I was going to convert to them before i sold my place.

• Like 1

Don't see how this saves energy.

All he's doing is to possibly allow both the refrigerator and freezer to go beyond their set temperatures.

Neither should be running continuously, if working properly they should shut themselves off. 

That is not correct. 

Using a relay to make / break circuits allows only one (1) appliance to run at a time. A refrigerator and deep freezer would draw more power from the inverter, if both were running simultaneously. With the relay in line, this is impossible. 

Easy enough, though. When the refrigerator reaches the appropriate temperature, the compressor switches off. This allows the relay to go back to its normal position, thereby completing the circuit to power the freezer. The freezer is then powered and will run until it has reached the appropriate temperature. 

• Like 1
Brucewayne

That is not correct. 

Using a relay to make / break circuits allows only one (1) appliance to run at a time. A refrigerator and deep freezer would draw more power from the inverter, if both were running simultaneously. With the relay in line, this is impossible. 

Easy enough, though. When the refrigerator reaches the appropriate temperature, the compressor switches off. This allows the relay to go back to its normal position, thereby completing the circuit to power the freezer. The freezer is then powered and will run until it has reached the appropriate temperature. 

Using a smaller inverter this way won't necessarily save you money, as the units will still draw the same amount, but one at a time which would allow you to buy a less expensive inverter.

At least that is the way I see it.

• Like 1

That is not correct. 

Draw more power at one time but still same amount per day. 1 kw per hr for 6 hrs or 1/2 Kw for 12. 

Agree if inverter isn't big enough to handle both would be a problem.

Using a smaller inverter this way won't necessarily save you money, as the units will still draw the same amount, but one at a time which would allow you to buy a less expensive inverter.

At least that is the way I see it.

It had nothing to do with saving money.

His sole point was being able to use a smaller inverter to run more appliances, rather than paying the money out for a new, larger inverter. 

Brucewayne

It had nothing to do with saving money.

His sole point was being able to use a smaller inverter to run more appliances, rather than paying the money out for a new, larger inverter. 

Yes,as I said, he could get by with a smaller inverter and a saving of any kind is better than no saving at all.

Seems easier than my version.

Manually using power strips with air con in the mix. 

When the ref kicks in could it suddenly stop the running freezer compressor?

When the ref kicks in could it suddenly stop the running freezer compressor?

You would just have the relay completely kill any power going to the freezer. 

SkyMan

Quite right.  My mother had a nice chest freezer she would stock with whatever she would find on good sale prices.  The remaining space she would fill with cleaned out 2 liter plastic pop bottles filled 3/4 with water.  Once the bottles were frozen the freezer did very little work to stay cold.  If she needed more room she could take out bottles and put them in a styro cooler where they stay frozen quite some time and would be put back as room was created.  If you went on a picnic or something you could put a couple bottles in the cooler and everything would stay cold for days.

• Like 1

You would just have the relay completely kill any power going to the freezer. 

You're using 2 relays.  The ref would cycle several times before the freezer starts.

Once it did, it would have to finish before the ref could start.

You could even add a 3rd wheel to this with DPDT relays. 

Smart circuit.  A fused inverter might even protect it. 

Easy enough to test first on low voltage stuff.