Sign in to follow this  
CebuKano

44.05 Philippine ₱ To US $

CebuKano

While having lunch today in IT Park I noticed that the currency exchange booth on "The Walk" was offering 44.05 Philippine ₱ per US $. I haven't been keeping up with the exchange rate lately but this seems to be an improvement compared with what it's been in the recent past?

Edited by Motörhead

tim

I had a friend who is staying in the Mango area, and he wrote he got 44.20 at Robinsons (Upstairs not the Department store)  early this week. In the past the peso would always rise against the USD during Xmas times... so it is nice to see the USD getting stronger especially at this time of the year...

as always, jmho

• Like 1

quit_yume

oh i thought the exchange rate on the street would actually be higher than that..  is there a standard margin expected from the official exchange rate?

udonthani

71.65 for every 1 pound sterling today in Fuente.

the peso has just taken a pasting because of the typhoon, mostly.

just like we thought that it would.

Cebudog

You say the dollar is going up?  Damn Obama!!!

• Like 2

thebob

You say the dollar is going up?  Damn Obama!!!

Why do you want a strong dollar? That just makes the deficit more expensive to repay, and products more expensive for export.

Cebudog

Why do you want a strong dollar? That just makes the deficit more expensive to repay, and products more expensive for export.

Because most of us live overseas and a strong dollar helps us.  I like to look out for my own economic interests.

• Like 1

ellenbrook2001

soon will be 48 pesos for $ 1 usa  but the AUSSIE $ yuk going to be 38 pesos our idiot governor play politic now the liberal our in power he take decision to lower the AUD ???? grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr bad for us.

Skywalker

There is a blip due to the typhoon, but I think there is also a trend which will be apparent by the spring, when the Christmas returning OFW's  have gone back overseas.

As the West is beginning to recover from the 2008 crash, and the markets are picking up, I suspect that the hot money residing here in RP will evaporate from the Country.

Any thoughts?

SkyMan

and products more expensive for export.
The only thing we still export is empty containers.
  • Like 1

spooks

There is a blip due to the typhoon, but I think there is also a trend which will be apparent by the spring, when the Christmas returning OFW's  have gone back overseas.

As the West is beginning to recover from the 2008 crash, and the markets are picking up, I suspect that the hot money residing here in RP will evaporate from the Country.

Any thoughts?

at the risk of repeating my self :nuke:

"Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:35 PM

Pesos usually strengthens this time of year.....NOT this year me thinks and it will start to slide as it is already too strong.

There is precious little supporting the Pinas economy outside of its trafficked people sending back funds boosting consumption.

The inward  "flood"   of FDI is but a pimple on an elephants behind when compared to peer group inflows.  Pinas does not have much to lose when the trend reverses which is perhaps the only good thing.

I see precious little of anything substantive like structural reform etc

During 2014 most of ASEAN will be placed to benefit from ASEAN economic integration, due to lack of structural reform how much is the Pinas going to lose by NOT allowing freedom of movement across borders because 'Constitutional patrimony' gets in the way. a Malay consortium has already been shafted out of the Manila Hotel debacle. Not much will change without the 'hot potato' of Constitutional amendments being undertaken.

Other ASEAN members have some legal issued to deal with and seem keen on doing so, Malaysia is tackling some of the anti competitive issues surrounding 'Bumi" policy.

I fear that the Philippines is going to be a laggard because of political dullards carrying their own baggage.

Pesos will weaken as it has done nothing yet to deserve being strong. The 'strength' has been entirely down to smoke and mirrors with major world currencies being in decline. The causes of global decline are receding. I suspect other ASEAN country's will take a hit but to no where near the extent of the Pinas as they have embraced structural reform and look forward to 2015 with optimism not fear and apprehension.

I wonder if the Pinas guys really understand the importance and the important opportunities that ASEAN can bring."

• Like 3

broden

The only thing we still export is empty containers.

come on now.. no reason to be so hard on your fellow forum members

• Like 1