A little hydro project I hope to have built by next rainy season.

Racist mosquitoes that prefer dark meat

I just knew it! Damn it!

Headshot

I just knew it! Damn it!

I think it's because you are too sweet. They just don't like the taste.

Honestly, I have no idea why they won't bother me. At the farm, everyone else looks like they have measles. I'm the only one there with no bites, no red marks, no problems. The mosquitoes even go after one of the dogs as though she were a delicacy. 

Paul, came across this article that might interest you (and others too!)

http://www.offgridworld.com/urine-powered-generator-produces-electricity-for-6-hours-on-1-liter-of-pee-power-your-home-with-waste/

It does involve "hydro"!!

I saw this a while back, while browsing the internet. I think this form of "hydro" may be a bit much for me to deal with. 

hindenburg.jpg

I do like the idea of Biogas, though. I think that could work. I would need to see what volume of excrement could be generated at the farm, first, before putting very much into this idea.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1
dustybookend

Well, if I come off the rice field, there would be a drop there. But, more of what I am considering doing, would be something along these lines:

Well to paraphrase what 'thebob' said you need about 100kgm/s water work plus losses to generate 1kW.

Since you are suggesting that you will use the kinetic energy to substitute for head you might like to try to measure how effective this could be. You could do this by laying a piece of tube (e.g. electrical conduit) in the water flow direction and bending the tube up so that the flow just stops. The height from the water surface to tube end is the head. Measuring flow rate should be easy in a uniform section of the ditch.

• Like 1

Well, it will be next rainy season before I can do anything concerning that. That will be April - May of next year. But, I can tell you, the water coming off those rice fields would knock a grown man down. He would not be able to stand up in the water being expelled through the break in the dam. 

dustybookend

Well, it will be next rainy season before I can do anything concerning that. That will be April - May of next year. But, I can tell you, the water coming off those rice fields would knock a grown man down. He would not be able to stand up in the water being expelled through the break in the dam. 

This may be of (academic) interest.

Edited by dustybookend