A question for you builders about roof styles.

So, I have a question. What type of roof does the image below, depict? 

Would it be a gable roof, or a salt box? 

roof_type.png

It is the roof, basically, that we have on the farm house. Believe it or not, I didn't really take my first good look at it, assuming it was simply a gabled roof all this time, until a few nights ago. I noticed the rear slope was longer than the front, by one meter. Previously, I thought we had 20 m2 of catchment area. The other night, I realized I had been wrong. It is actually 25 m2. This, along with the 30 m2 additional roof we have recently added, has more than doubled our rainwater catchment area.

Roof-Types-Diagram2.jpg

Anyway, so, what is the verdict, gable? Salt box? Or, would it be considered something else, entirely?

Thanks,

SkyMan

I would say Gabled. I think the salt box has a second floor in part of the house. Usually the second floor is bedrooms, CRs with a balcony running along those rooms overlooking the living room kitchen below. It's a nice open design. Makes it easy to yell for the kids in the rooms upstairs. Our roof is the same as yours. The house is 6 mtr sq and the ridge line runs over the center of the house but the roof extends over the 9 ft porch to make it longer on that side.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1

Gable.  Salt box is a transition between stories.  Ie 1 level entrance, 2 story off the back.

• Like 1

it is deffinately a saltbox roof,

Acording to chief architect, the deffinition of a saltbox roof is a gabled roof with different pitch to either side, irrespective of the wall hights the roof gutter sits on

If when looking at the gable wall end of the house, if the apex is not central then it is a saltbox roof

roofhelp_zps68610941.png

roofstiles_zps81651361.png

• Like 1

Well, maybe I should just come up with my own name for the roof.

I will call it my "offset-asymmetrical-saltbox-gable" roof. 

Sigh.

Geez. Why couldn't they have just made it a simple gable roof?

Well, maybe I should just come up with my own name for the roof.

I will call it my "offset-asymmetrical-saltbox-gable" roof. 

Sigh.

Geez. Why couldn't they have just made it a simple gable roof?

cos like all things philippines, it was probably just guesework when they built it

Edited by philuk
  • Like 1
SkyMan
philuk, on 14 Dec 2013 - 04:45 AM, said: If when looking at the gable wall end of the house, if the apex is not central then it is a saltbox roof

But my apex is central to the house.  The roof extends out over the porch though so the pitches are different.

Edited by SkyMan

It still being attached to the house is all that is really important after the typhoon.  

• Like 4

But my apex is central to the house.  The roof extends out over the porch though so the pitches are different.

if the pitch of both roof sides are the same, it is a gable roof with a porch roof extension. if they are different pitches then its a saltbox,

• Like 1
SkyMan

It still being attached to the house is all that is really important after the typhoon.  

I wasn't so sure it would be for a while. 

This house has about a one 1.0% chance of being hit by a Typhoon. A strong enough monsoon, though, could possibly make it float away. It's in Cambodia. 

So, I guess the final answer is...

Saltbox. 

I should have had a poll. 

Edited by Paul

I should have had a poll. 

If you had a stripper pole it changes it from saltbox to party box.

• Like 1