Sign in to follow this  
SkyMan

Newb Solar Questions

dustybookend

Yes, I realize that. But, if your panel had diodes in it at that time, the reverse issue you had, would have never occurred, right?

Of course the issue with having diodes (at the panel) to protect against reverse polarity is that it costs you (0.6 * panel current output) W in lost power.

Paul

Of course the issue with having diodes (at the panel) to protect against reverse polarity is that it costs you (0.6 * panel current output) W in lost power.

Having the loss from the diodes would be less than discharging the battery into the panel over night. Of course, I do not recall, if he stated, what brand controller may have caused this. I think most modern controllers, especially branded ones, would prevent this from happening.

Cgu

The brand is Steca, but that is not the cause. The cause was the climate ( humidity = corrosion), so I have no IP66.

@paul: How to you control your DOD? Through the controller? That would give you always the same DOD / SOC. Also, to you adust for temperature?

As you see my main concern is still batteries and I have not seen yet a batterywith more as 2000 cycles (equals 6 years if used daily), but with fine print of 80% of DOD. So still want to find a solution....

Paul

@paul: How to you control your DOD? Through the controller? That would give you always the same DOD / SOC. Also, to you adust for temperature?

As you see my main concern is still batteries and I have not seen yet a batterywith more as 2000 cycles (equals 6 years if used daily), but with fine print of 80% of DOD. So still want to find a solution....

Well, thus far, I haven't had to concern myself with DOD at all. I have about 2900 watt hours and am using about 400 to 450 per night, at the moment.

Of course, I knew this when I set up the system. I won't start really working the batteries until I move to the property full time. Then, I will be drawing a lot more from the batteries. 

It won't be long, though. Either way, the Controller is how I currently control it. I am looking at getting a battery monitor as soon as reasonably possible. But, they are pretty costly from here. 

Here is a TriMetric, a Victron 600s and a Victron 602s. that I have had my eyes on. But, they are all too much for me at this time. I will probably lean toward purchasing the 602, if / when the opportunity presents itself. That way, I can monitor two separate banks, simultaneously. I just received my dual bank switch today, so it is getting better and better, just slowly - slowly.

The brand is Steca, but that is not the cause.

That's the German made one, isn't it? I have seen it offered locally by some solar companies in Cambodia. I don't know anything about them, which is why I have yet to try one. 

At the moment, I have my fill of controllers. (I have four hanging around, waiting to be used.) So, I am in no need to try another one until I get some cash to purchase some more panels first. 

Edited by Paul

Cgu

Yes, I bought in Europe. I always bring the "high tech" stuff from there. The problem in Cebu is that it takes a long time to scout for these items, but you can find them.

Paul

Yes, I bought in Europe. I always bring the "high tech" stuff from there. The problem in Cebu is that it takes a long time to scout for these items, but you can find them.

It's been some time ago, now. I would say about five years ago. But, I recall being in Davao City, and spotting several solar supply companies as I was just driving around town. May be worth checking out, still.

Edited by Paul