On Being a Foreigner/Minority Person

rainymike

Whenever you're not at where you're from you're a minority.

Chicago was / is home.

Been to about 30 different sates and 6 countries on business - anywhere from 1 day to 7 weeks (3 times), typically 1 week.

California, Texas, Florida, Louisiana, maybe familiar in a physical way (big box stores, fast food places) but on a commercial (local restaurants - my favorite) and personal level can be as strange as any foreign country. 

Social customers / slang can be very different.

First time I heard a guy say he was "going to get some cock that night" was a bit different from "going to get laid".

Being kissed on check and lips by women you just met.

Men encroaching into your personal space

Everywhere I stayed in The Philippines people were very friendly but one - Shangri La, Cebu. For some reason everyone there seemed a bit cold and snobish. Maybe that's because everyone there had as much or more money than I did.

You mean kano?

Nah, he means either you or Skywalker.....

Joke aside, seems a lot is changing in Cebu?    Guess not so much in Manila?

Edited by Kim_
rainymike

I'm a minority wherever I go. A minority of 1.

The last time I felt like that was when I was planning to move to the Phils. Everyone thought I was nuts. Sometimes, going solo is the right thing to do.

smokey

And then came back here and still didn't like it. If you are so happy there...

I've lived in Asia most of my life, I'm a minority from where I came from. Cebu isn't perfect, but I choose it over anywhere else. If you wan't to change it… good luck. I don't.

I'm a minority wherever I go. A minority of 1.

i am here to make money ,,, green,,, dosh ,,,, cash ,,,, 

jtmwatchbiz

I can't blend in.

i never had a problem here as no matter where i am i stick out like a sore thumb

• Like 1
Kodiak570

You mean kano?

1 = Good / Goodness (Kaayo)

2 = Vulgar / foulmouthed (Bastos)

Canuck Joe

1 = Good / Goodness (Kaayo)

2 = Vulgar / foulmouthed (Bastos)

kaayo means very

init kaayo, very hot

SomeRandomGuy

init kayoo   very hot

mayoo kayoo  very good

samalat kayoo thank u very much

me thinks this bisaya english translation dictionary has gotten it wrong

I pretty sure my partner( who is bisaya speaking) or I ( whom spent a bit of money learning it are wrong) but hey maybe I am mis-informed

it might even be as it is a dialect and meaning can mean different things in different areas

after all it is taught at home not in schools

Edited by SomeRandomGuy
  • Like 1
Canuck Joe

I pretty sure my partner( who is bisaya speaking) or I ( whom spent a bit of money learning it are wrong) but hey maybe I am mis-informed

it might even be as it is a dialect and meaning can mean different things in different areas

after all it is taught at home not in schools

True, my wife too. She said nobody speaks proper textbook bisaya anymore except the older ones and modern is more slang so Kodiak could be technically correct.

You can see the difficulty when two locals are talking and they struggle to find proper words and use English or the word kuan which is a word filler if they can't think of the proper word.

The blue bloods think its a peasant language and will speak in English or Tagalog instead.

I have found learning phrases can go a long way in feeling a little more part of the community but I know I will never totally fit in nor do I need too.

Edited by Canuck Joe
SomeRandomGuy

kuan,kaning kanang

they are my favorite

espically when i get the kaning that is just past the kuan on the way to the kanang

rainymike

I think its simpler that good or bad kanos. Or even the language. Its mixing in with a group that shares some important set of values with you. Its can be as powerful as knowing the language. What kind of values? Up to you. Religion, politics, kids, etc. What can connect people does not have to be race or national origin, but your values instead.

I think we all like to hear ourselves and see ourselves reflected in the group. LOL ... kind of like the political/religious subforums. 

So today, I spent my Saturday morning at school for a Christmas party for one of my kids. I stand at attention for the national anthem, show respect for their prayers, laugh and cheer the preparatory and kindergarten kids doing their Christmas song and dance routines, maneuver through the crowd with my two year old and get a photo with her and Jollibbee. 

And I don't speak the language. And everyone knows I'm the older kano. But they'll smile and make small chit chat with me because they see me at PTA meetings, soccer games, Christmas parties, donate to improve the classrooms, etc. But its one of the peer groups that I've plugged into because of my kids. I see part of myself in the other parents, and they see part of themselves in me. 

In the afternoon the partner and I are at the mall. I was a tad irritated with the hot dog I bought. The sign offered American hotdogs, but they were "sold out" (not "out of stock.") And no mustard to boot. Grrr.

But at the end of the day, I don't feel overwhelmed by the minor irritants. I feel connected and not so alone in this country.

• Like 5