On Being a Foreigner/Minority Person

rainymike

I think I would be a "minority" if I went back to my hometown in UK. LOL  

Definately agree. I have just come back from UK  or what is left of it !!!!!

rainymike

After 5 years here, I'd be a stranger back home as well. And thinking about it, it's not such a bad thing to be ... lol ... I never could dance the damn hula anyway (the damn grass skirts made my balls itchy).

Edited by rainymike
SomeRandomGuy

After 5 years here, I'd be a stranger back home as well. And thinking about it, it's not such a bad thing to be ... lol ... I never could dance the damn hula anyway (the damn grass skirts made my balls itchy).

funny u should say that as after being here for 5 years I went back home to oz and just found myself not fitting in very well.

My plan was to stay for 3 months and buy a house to rent out as a investment but only lasted 3 weeks.

These days i tell my friends and family to come here.. way less hassle on my end that way

Kodiak570

I think from the POV of locals, we are all lumped into two categories because this is what they see the most of:

1. Kaayo

2. Bastos

This is not to say one doesn't have a bad day or you could be both in one day, but face it, this is what a majority of foreigners do here and a gross over-simplification of things . I am guilty of it in the past (and more recently) but I can at least own up to it. I'm sure no one landed here their first time with the experience and knowledge they have today.

• Like 2
SomeRandomGuy

good or bad lol

pretty much sums it up

Poor bastos

rich kaayo

• Like 1

More than 30 years away from the UK and no way that I could readjust to life there.  Nor would I want to.

I've got so used to being a 'minority person' in Asia that I hardly notice it all anymore - maybe not being self-conscious about it makes it easier to get along with others.  A friendly smile, politeness and basic courtesies are usually enough to get along fine anywhere you happen to be.  Plus a commonsense approach to dealing with any potentially difficult situations that may arise.  

• Like 3

More than 30 years away from the UK and no way that I could readjust to life there.  Nor would I want to.

I've got so used to being a 'minority person' in Asia that I hardly notice it all anymore - maybe not being self-conscious about it makes it easier to get along with others.  A friendly smile, politeness and basic courtesies are usually enough to get along fine anywhere you happen to be.  Plus a commonsense approach to dealing with any potentially difficult situations that may arise.

Same here. Near forty years for me. I think you are as alien as you feel. Relationships with women from other countries removed my inhibitions about foreigners anyway. My partner is a human being.

it must be bradford lol

smokey

well hate to give a different assessment but i was here from 2004 to 2011 and went back and blended right in no problem sorry i could not say it was a bad experience ///  i must say i never realized how much i missed driving fast and always finding what i want in the store and not spending days forming a line to get someone to sign some paper i needed ...oh and i get to watch judge judy and jerry springer for free so its just like being here all the time 

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1

I think from the POV of locals, we are all lumped into two categories because this is what they see the most of:

1. Kaayo

2. Bastos

This is not to say one doesn't have a bad day or you could be both in one day, but face it, this is what a majority of foreigners do here and a gross over-simplification of things . I am guilty of it in the past (and more recently) but I can at least own up to it. I'm sure no one landed here their first time with the experience and knowledge they have today.

The 'on the bus/off the bus' thinking is a helpful defence mechanism.

There's never much time to react to a jerk or get his money.

There's a difference between those who hussle tourists and those who work other jobs.

Generalizing about groups sometimes doesn't fly very well.

Someone usually steps up and says: 'take them one at a time'

Once labeled, it's often hard to get it changed.

Leave and come back though...and often it's erased like an etch n sketch.   

I can't wait to see how this country reacts to foreigner buildup.

How can it not be a better plan than ours.

• Like 1
rainymike
well hate to give a different assessment but i was here from 2004 to 2011 and went back and blended right in no problem sorry i could not say it was a bad experience ///  i must say i never realized how much i missed driving fast and always finding what i want in the store and not spending days forming a line to get someone to sign some paper i needed ...oh and i get to watch judge judy and jerry springer for free so its just like being here all the time 

LOL ... ahhh ... we all know that you are a closet Phils-ophile.

I can't blend in. My old networks are almost all gone. And my new networks have been a suitable if not superior replacement - and that includes this forum - lol ... better than Judge Judy in my opinion.

Anyway, tomorrow, I'm going to the Christmas school party for one of my 'adopted' kids (all the kids were invited). Jollibee will be there and that is my 2 year old's favorite person ... lol. Now the smile on my kids face definitely beats Jerry Springer for me.

Edited by rainymike
  • Like 3
thebob

And then came back here and still didn't like it. If you are so happy there...

I've lived in Asia most of my life, I'm a minority from where I came from. Cebu isn't perfect, but I choose it over anywhere else. If you wan't to change it… good luck. I don't.

I'm a minority wherever I go. A minority of 1.