Does your wife/gf plan and prepare for Christmas

spritsail

spritsail

a few shillings a week

In the days before all the Eurotrash i could buy a pint of cider 1s/9p, get bag of crisps, a tanner (6p) and still get a frepenny bit change from haf a crown (2s/6p)  The way we used to speak then. LOL   

Headshot

And that is the main reason I left the states, I HATE the cold.

I hate snow. I hate sweeping it off of my car...I hate shoveling it...I hate driving in it...I hate walking through it when it's deep...I hate everything about it.  I guess that's why I have always preferred the tropics.

• Like 1
thebob

In the days before all the Eurotrash i could buy a pint of cider 1s/9p, get bag of crisps, a tanner (6p) and still get a frepenny bit change from haf a crown (2s/6p)  The way we used to speak then. LOL

Your memory is going. It should look like this.

In the days before all the Eurotrash i could buy a pint of cider 1s9d (8p) , get bag of crisps, a tanner (2 1/2p) and still get a thruppenny bit change from half a crown (2s/6d) 12 1/2p

I'm married to a Jehovahs Witness, so Christmas for me is no different to any other day.

No shopping for trees, presents or big Christmas feasts, I don't miss it at all. Do miss the sound of some carols when I'm in the mood though.

SomeRandomGuy

My partner does Filipino Christmas    this year we are doing an Aussie one.

I do not drink but a tradition has always been since I was 18. White Russian's for breakfast followed by pancakes and eggs and bacon.

Nap after between lunch,

Lunch will consist of sausages and lamb on the bbq and roasted potato and vegies and dinner will be left overs.

Plus I got her a stocking full of shit that stocking come with plus her engagement ring.

That's right I am going a trailer trash occa Aussie traditional Christmas.  There will be metal and Christmas carols and lots of naps to let the carbs and piss sink into my beer gut

Unfortunately I have to go back to the US next Monday. I have avoided the cold/snow (and my extended family.....I hate both equally) for the past 4 years. Unavoidable this year, although I have managed to skip the Thanksgiving - Christmas celebration of the least liked side of the family and will be missing another gathering happening 1 day prior to my arrival. (I intentionally moved my flight back a day to miss that one once I was told about it).

I'll likely play sick for the one Christmas eve where all the cousins who like to judge me for not having a job or living closer to family.....but in reality envy my life. I might show up just so I can go watch how miserable my cousins are with their nasty overbearing wives forcing them to go make plates of food for them and their spoiled little shits. Their wives absolutely despise me talking to them and telling them how women here act.

I have backups of my CCTV on my tab to really pour salt in the wounds of their life choices. (videos consisting of me sitting on my ass and everyone in the house making every effort to make me comfortable......as it should be. No woman yelling at me telling me to make them a coffee of make them breakfast. When I want to do something nice for my gf I'll make my own coffee.)

As for Christmas here, if it weren't for the change from crappy pop music to crappy Christmas music in the malls I wouldn't have even knew it was that time of year.

udonthani

As for Christmas here, if it weren't for the change from crappy pop music to crappy Christmas music in the malls I wouldn't have even knew it was that time of year.

that's just it. Take all that bullshit away and Christmas is actually very low key here.

church attendance goes up. That is one thing you notice. 

but not all that many people actually make an effort to go back home from the city to the province for Christmas - unlike in the west. They might send some money home to mama to help with the lights, a tree and a bit of nice food, on Christmas Eve. But they won't really make all that much of an effort, to be there. Unlike on New Years, when they will. 

you might get fooled when you get text messages from Filipinas, asking you where you are going to be for Christmas, as if it is something really important where you are going to be, to eat your Christmas dinner. I still always get loads of those. The reason you get those, is because they are cunning devils and they know it is supposed to be important to us. But to them, it is not so much. For them New Year is much more important.

rainymike

The answer is yes, but not for her or me. She does it for the kids. Damn television commercials and malls ... lol.

For my partner, All Saints and New Years seems to be more important emotionally.

For the kids, birthdays, Christmas, and any holiday from school is reason to celebrate. But holidays with gifts are the best for them. The school they attend has actually toned down Christmas. No Santa Claus and that stuff. More of a focus on the meaning of Christmas. Lots of planning went into that from the parents and teachers.

For me ... I don't need Christmas or birthdays or much else. White Christmas? Bah humbug. I celebrate the end of the month and payday (All the Bills Day). 

• Like 1
ellenbrook2001

that very simple for me we went to the province to give family gifts,ect then has usual we both going at MARCO POLO on the 24 then Christmas day will cook seafood ,bake a LAPU LAPU  then make a STRAWBERRY GATEAU.

new year again at MARCO POLO  that all for me 

JamesMusslewhite

We don't do X-mas...

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Christmas in the Philippines blows. I'm glad my wife has a similar opinion. People get blind drunk on Xmas eve as if it were New Years Eve, and then at midnight start proclaiming that Jesus was born. They are a bit off on that factually. I think it is totally contrary to Christian teachings the way they celebrate it here.  Then on Xmas day its all business as usual with the malls open. And all of this caroling is nothing but begging. Rich elite Filipinos don't put up with that crap. You won't find any carolers in those neighborhoods. Its all a big 'piss take'. One year we had a really nicely organized singing group, probably from a church choir that did a fantastic job singing some carols. They didn't want money as they just moved on after a couple songs to another part of the neighborhood. They weren't singling out houses and annoying the hell out of you until you give them money. They were just spreading some Christmas spirit, and sounded really pleasant and in tune. Had to be from the neighborhood as there's no way they would have gotten in otherwise. 

• Like 1
Brucewayne

We don't do X-mas...

I absolutely would not do Xmas either, except for the fact that my 5 year old needs it emotionally.

It gives the younger children something different to look forward to and they are so cute when they are anticipating Xmas day.

They will grow older and more skeptical soon enough, but for now we all need to help them to remain children for as long as they need our protection and nurturing.

Edited by Brucewayne
  • Like 1

The reason you get those, is because they are cunning devils and they know it is supposed to be important to us. But to them, it is not so much. For them New Year is much more important.

No, the reason you get those text is so they can see if you're in their neck of the woods or if you are celebrating alone to see if they can possibly score a new cell phone or a couple months rent for the boarding house. They could give a crap less about how important it is to us.

Christmas in the Philippines blows. I'm glad my wife has a similar opinion. People get blind drunk on Xmas eve as if it were New Years Eve

That pretty much sums up how my extended family does Christmas (or any gathering). It ain't the holidays until someone needs stitches. God damn, I'm going to hate going back for the holidays.

This would have been the first year I had a serious gf for the holidays here. It's a shame I can't spend it with the person I really want to. (would be the first time that'd have happened in over a decade)