Has the Philippines as a whole changed their veiws on foreingers living and visiting in the RP

SomeRandomGuy

• Admin (Retired)
broden

I think that as people stay here longer their attitude changes, and that is reflected by the way they are treated by the locals.

or their bartender

• Like 1
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SomeRandomGuy

• spritsail

• hyaku

• spydoo

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Considering the reception they gave Magellan, I believe attitudes towards foreigners have actually improved over the years.

Only slightly diverging from topic, I think this thread should give us all pause to consider how our interactions with Filipinos affects each others' quality of life. I personally take this so far as

well keeping on topic i think most would agree your behavior in person when interacting with the local people is a much more accurate reflection of who one is rather than some tongue-in-cheek trip rep

SomeRandomGuy

I met a guy the other day.. been here for 25 years on and off.

Speaks flawless bisaya and after 25 years the last 4 have made him decide he is leaving here and going back to EU.

I have heard a lot of guys I have known since I have been here say the same thing a lot lately... just wondering what everyone's views here are.

spritsail

Not sure that the Philippines (nation state) could have a view but my own view is that in the past 10 years some places have changed tremendously. In 2000 when I first came to Camiguin there were only a handful of hotels/resorts on the whole island now almost every month a new resort or restuarant springs up. I think the latest tally is around 50 mostly on the north coast, two new juice bars have opened this month in Mambajao alone.

One rarely saw another foreigner, and they were mostly retirees, now most of the hoteliers/ expats  are under 50, more often than not foreigners. They reckon that there are over 300  permanent expats,settled here,  and new houses, costing several million pesos and many nearer 30 M  go up every month.  Traffic has also increased with probably over 6 motor bike shops when there was one a few years ago, and every other car is a SUV costing nearly 2 M . Land prices have also gone from 100 php a sq mt to 1500 php a sq mt for lots near the sea.  

Probably a lot of other islands have witnessed immense tourist growth - boracay, etc.

spritsail

I think as a foreigner I am treated a lot better today than I was when I was first shipping into the Philippines on cargo ships in 1970. Then there were probably thousands of GIs taking R&R in Manila, and I witnessed many fly by bike robberies. Certainly bars were not safe, and the main place to meet filippina was a promenade around Rizal park early evening, and then they were always in foursomes.

InternetTough

Considering the reception they gave Magellan, I believe attitudes towards foreigners have actually improved over the years.

Magellan interfered in local politics. 

When alls said and done we are guests in someone elses country but I don't get treated like one by people I know. I bitch and complain because I'm used to a set of standards I would like to see improve not only for myself but Philippino. Make yourself heard and people do pull the plug out sometimes. Not too worried about the future as mine is short. I just want to quietly enjoy life. Beach, nature, good weather, food etc Go home, shut the door? It could be in any country in the world.

• Like 2
Mang Kanor

Only slightly diverging from topic, I think this thread should give us all pause to consider how our interactions with Filipinos affects each others' quality of life. I personally take this so far as to consider those expats who live at peace with their neighbors and don't cause trouble are my friends while those who mistreat Filipinos and behave unconscionably are my enemies. While these are strong words, the harm the latter do to me by building resentment toward me is enormous.

So, if you love Filipinos I consider you my friend. If you boast of how many young girls you shag or tell me how stupid you think Filipinos are, I really, really, don't like you.

i only know one person who thinks he's better than anyone when it comes to girls and traveling cheap in the Philippines... and i think you know who.

SomeRandomGuy

or tell me how stupid you think Filipinos are, I really, really, don't like you.

I think the whole worlds new generation is a hell of a lot dumber then the older generation.

I have mates working back home that can not believe some of these new kids that work for them and wonder how they even breathe and blink at the same time.

Education is failing on every level in almost every single country.

I think dumb asses are dumb asses no matter if they are local's, back home or here on LINC.

• Like 3
jtmwatchbiz

i only know one person who thinks he's better than anyone when it comes to girls and traveling cheap in the Philippines... and i think you know who.

do you actually know this person and witnessed his behavior or are you merely reacting to his posts that are both informative as well as humorous parodies of all things expat? you may be surprised when you learn the truth...

• Like 1
Mang Kanor

do you actually know this person and witnessed his behavior or are you merely reacting to his posts that are both informative as well as humorous parodies of all things expat? you may be surprised when you learn the truth...

so you mean to say he's some kind of bipolar, split personalities? he's good in person but acts differently on the net? or some kind of a keyboard warrior?

your post reflects of who you are... he maybe fun and informative at the same time but boasting your woman conquest on a forum is just low not to mention degrading, we(I) dont need it.

the first few  months I was here reading, i kinda like his posts... fun, informative and such but as time passes by, it becomes boring, telling everybody how he met the girl and shagged her. he must be alone and lonely in his place.

respect to the OP, wont harbor this thread.

Edited by Aldin

That he is a fake?  You mean to say all this righteous indignation I have harbored toward him has been wasted on a fake persona?  Damn now I am even more indignant !

• Like 3
jtmwatchbiz

your post reflects of who you are... he maybe fun and informative at the same time but boasting your woman conquest on a forum is just low not to mention degrading, we(I) dont need it.

well keeping on topic i think most would agree your behavior in person when interacting with the local people is a much more accurate reflection of who one is rather than some tongue-in-cheek trip reports on an expat forum. like it or not, most guys come here to enjoy the company of women and whippy loves to poke fun at the sanctimonious phonies and tourists who claim they are here for the white beaches and culture. if you find parodies and a humorous view of reality offensive then best to skip over certain threads.

if you treat people with respect they will more than likely do the same for you. i'm a working man and have lived here going on 10 years and i don't notice any difference between now and a decade ago, and i'm out beating the streets nite and day, and i can say there is little difference interacting with locals than back home in the USA. however if one has developed an attitude and is always keeping an eye out for problems, they will come in spades.  

• Like 5