Has the Philippines as a whole changed their veiws on foreingers living and visiting in the RP

SomeRandomGuy

SomeRandomGuy

I have noticed it.

Someone else made a comment in another topic about this matter and though I know i have talked about this before I do think it is a good idea to see how many others have noticed this as well.

Now it might just be me, but I do not think it is. There has been these last few years a backlash towards foreigners that is not the subtle.

Is it the news forever writing about the bad guys?

Is it the hype that philippines soon will be no longer a third world county and no longer need us?

Is it jealousy?

Or is it a little of all the above thrown in with the poor attitude some tourists have when visiting here ( which is going to be more and more as more and more budget traveler"s arrive here)

Edited by SomeRandomGuy
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SomeRandomGuy

• spydoo

• Mang Kanor

• jtmwatchbiz

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Considering the reception they gave Magellan, I believe attitudes towards foreigners have actually improved over the years.

Only slightly diverging from topic, I think this thread should give us all pause to consider how our interactions with Filipinos affects each others' quality of life. I personally take this so far as

well keeping on topic i think most would agree your behavior in person when interacting with the local people is a much more accurate reflection of who one is rather than some tongue-in-cheek trip rep

Majorsco

Is it short stay tourists for vacations or long stay tourists? I see the love is for short stay tourists with money vs long stay tourists.

stevensanph

I think its the 2nd one.

Having lived previously in china (10 years ago when it was developing) it was something which grew and grew and grew.  Once they've taken some of your knowledge, the 'this isn't your country' stuff comes out as a typical defence to anything that you want to change.  The Chinese could become quite nasty about it too.

rainymike

Not sure if you mean the country (policy wise) or people. But my experience with both has been generally positive.

Seems that policy wise, the country is trying to ramp up for tourism and foreign investment (although they seem to have a lot to learn from other Asian countries). Korea, Japan and China are important sources of tourists. Some are vital for industry building (i.e. Samsung and now a Japanese company that will make a box for high def television signals). Immigration is usually a pleasant experience for me. I do think the country is aware of the negatives that tourism brings. But don't feel that I'm being targeted by the government at this point in time.

On a personal level, my people experiences are also generally positive. In some places, customer service truly sucks, but in others they are bending over backwards to help me - so its mixed. The people in the neighborhood generally smile at me (lol ... I am a gwapo old fart). I don't get negative experiences too often from those that I have regular interactions with - teachers, sari store owners, taxi stand operators, cycad drivers, neighbors, etc.

But then again, I don't live in the heart of the urban area, which usually has a different character. So, my answer is mostly no for my particular circumstances.

Edited by rainymike
  • Like 3
RogerDuMond

Now it might just be me, but I do not think it is. There has been these last few years a backlash towards foreigners that is not the subtle.

I think it may be an individual perception as I find the people even friendlier than in the 90s. Or if it actually exists, maybe it is a city versus country change.

BossHog

i before e except after c.

Filipinos deign to accept our presence here; some even feign to 'deify' us as if we were Arabian sheiks!

No seismic escalation in societal belligerencies noted, however.

You may gave encountered a surfeit of weird experiences but, as a foreigner, you have forfeited your right to immunity to heinous treatment by your neighbors. Neither you nor your heirs are immune.

It's not rocket science: this is a sovereign nation.

Heigh-ho!

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 3
InternetTough

Just memorize this simple set of exceptions to the rule as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_before_E_except_after_C

What a fun language!

Overall, I think that the people here are pretty friendly. Maybe in the past they grinned at all times (even for hours at a time) in the presence of any white foreigner, but that doesn't bother me here today---but I doubt that they were always grinning even in the past.

Sometimes, I think that there is no way that I can be the person that they seem to think I am, like some of them still think too much of foreigners.

Edited by InternetTough
For Real

Its becoming increasingly more common to read about foreigners being shot in a given year so i guess we are treated more the same if anything. I think our specialness has declined just a little.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Nangulo

I'm not in Cebu, anymore, but down in (OMG) Surigao City, Mindanao.  I've been embedded in this community for more than two years, now.  A lot of the locals know me and consider me local (not "A" local, but local:  i.e. a guy who lives here).  I get treated like a local.  I travel to Cebu City 3 or 4 times a year, still.  I have not noticed a difference in perception among the people there.

But then again, I understand and speak a lot of bisayan.  When I enter a room, the girls change subjects.  Bisayan is my language of choice when I'm alone and in conversation with a local.  I think that maybe, perhaps, coincidentally, I may have a leg up on you and your experiences.  I haven't noticed a negative change in the Philippines' view of foreigners - which I assume is the point you're making.

• Like 1

When I first began going to the Philippines in the early '90s, it was much more of a novelty for Filipinos. Especially in the city of Cebu, they were much more like the provincial Filipinos are now. I'm not talking "nearby" provincial, anymore. I am talking very rural provincial Filipinos - way in the sticks. There are just too many who have been coming and going, as well as living in the Philippines, far too long. It's no longer exciting for them to see us. 

Back then, we were treated differently than foreigners of today are. 

USMC-Retired

It is 100% your perception of the place.  As your stay longer your view will plateau at some point.  When you first arrive do no wrong.  6-12 months Reality will slowly set in about the place.  At the end of 12 months your view will be set unless you have a traumatic experience.  

Skywalker

Well, I've been here for nearly 3 years.  I still think I am God.  Who cares what the locals think!   :yahoo:

• Like 1
thebob

I think that as people stay here longer their attitude changes, and that is reflected by the way they are treated by the locals.

• Like 1