" Out of stock sir"

SomeRandomGuy

stevensanph

Once, I was in the Watson's Pharmacy at SM. The girl walked up to the counter. I asked, "Do you have _________?" (I forget, exactly, what I was looking for.) Without bothering to look, she told me, "No sir. Out of stock, sir." I asked her to turn around and look on the end rack behind her - DIRECTLY behind her. There were four or five shelves full of the item I was looking for at the time. :rolleyes:

I've had this multiple times (usually in CDRking, but best I had was in Puregold).  After pointing out to them where to find it i've occasionally had the excuse "Oh, they are for display only sir".

Me: "So you don't sell them"?

shop: "No sir"

me: "why are they on display if you dont sell them"

shop: "so customers can see what to buy sir"

me: "but you don't sell them?"

shop: "no sir, you can't buy them"

This conversation went round and round in circles for about an hour with no less than 4 sales staff, 2 supervisors and a manager before one of them decided to walk over to the till, scan the barcode and sell me the item!!

The said item was a halloween bucket selling for 150peso with chocolates inside!

• Like 5
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SomeRandomGuy

• Raven

• hyaku

• jtmwatchbiz

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is a number 4. That is they just don't know where it's located or they just don't care. I have found many things after being told "No Stock Sir". In my experience, some Gaisano stores are the wo

I agree with this. I have found several times that if they don't understand what you are asking for, it is easier for them to just say "sorry sir, out of stock". Could be a face saving thing rather th

I've had this multiple times (usually in CDRking, but best I had was in Puregold).  After pointing out to them where to find it i've occasionally had the excuse "Oh, they are for display only sir".  

SomeRandomGuy

I put it to you ,would you care if you were only getting 200 pesos a day and thrown out of the job after 5 months ?would anyone care i sure as hell would,nt .if their employers treated their employees with a bit more respect then maybe we would get a better service but we all know that aint gonna happen anytime soon.with so much cannon fodder out there to replace their employees they will get away with it for a long time .their managers should me made to go and see how its done in more advanced countries before taking the helm of a large supermarket.

I think u will find the ones that actually perform slightly better then average actually get to keep their jobs. Its the ones that stand all day every day in the same spot and have no idea what is even on the shelf next to them that get thrown out of a job.

Plus regardless of that not all stores have this policy.

But if I did have a store it would be my policy too. I happen to know a few that work in these stores that u are talking about and the ones that are actually bright and not dead shits get renewed it is just the cannon fodder that gets thrown away.

For instance the other day I had a bag packer. Far as i can figure u are probably not put thru a hell of a lot of training. But I would imagine one would be make sure u put cold stuff with cold stuff, put chemicals away from food and do not put cans in with the bread as I will get pissed off when i get home.

Well this genius puts raw meat with my salad, puts cans and a can of coke in with my bread and dickhead me wasn't paying attention as I was on my phone.

I guess it is my fault for not supervising the packing of a bag but this is this dudes job. 200 peso a day here is in all honesty way to much in my opinion of a salary for some people

I put it to you ,would you care if you were only getting 200 pesos a day and thrown out of the job after 5 months ?would anyone care i sure as hell would,nt .if their employers treated their employees with a bit more respect then maybe we would get a better service but we all know that aint gonna happen anytime soon.with so much cannon fodder out there to replace their employees they will get away with it for a long time .their managers should me made to go and see how its done in more advanced countries before taking the helm of a large supermarket.

Maybe they should show their worth first. Like, knowing what they are selling, not stealing and show up on time

• Like 1
SomeRandomGuy

Maybe they should show their worth first. Like, knowing what they are selling, not stealing and show up on time

Funny u should say this as awhile ago ( putting a while ago as it was a few years ago) I was speaking with a filipino friend of mine that owns a rather large store and I had to ask him whats the purpose of firing them after 5 months.

He was adamant that only those that are no good go as after about 5 to 6 months they start to figure out ways to walk away with stock.

True story

I sometimes buy direct from the delivery trucks that park in the same area as me. Good to rediculous discount if a buy a dozen of this or that. The mark up in shops is very high

Thing is they don't actually deliver mixed items. Truck for canned fruit, one for veg, one for booze etc.

No wonder they get out of stock. Other thing is they buy a product and sell it. No more is delivered until that batch is paid for. The local supermarket owner and his son have stood for election a lot. At that time the shelves were as empty as they are now after he typhoon.

Buko Beach

There's another possible explanation. For some time now there has been a subtle backlash against foreigners in the Philippines. I noticed it starting late 2009, but the backlash, which was very subtle has grown in recent years to a palpable whisper. Reverse racism born from the actions of sexpats slashing and burning their way from one corner of the Philippines to the other. So when you hear "No stock sir/out of stock" with a fake smile sometimes what they really mean is "Go home, you do not belong here".

I have been getting that vibe for awhile now. May be the latest arrivals do not feel it so much, but it's there.

Could it be laziness, language barrier, saving face or ineptitude, sure. Might even be a mixture. But the resentment that oozes from some locals towards foreigners is on the rise.

quit_yume

Me: "So you don't sell them"?

shop: "No sir"

me: "why are they on display if you dont sell them"

shop: "so customers can see what to buy sir"

me: "but you don't sell them?"

shop: "no sir, you can't buy them"

This conversation went round and round in circles for about an hour with no less than 4 sales staff, 2 supervisors and a manager before one of them decided to walk over to the till, scan the barcode and sell me the item!!

The said item was a halloween bucket selling for 150peso with chocolates inside!

absolutely amazing....

SomeRandomGuy
There's another possible explanation. For some time now there has been a subtle backlash against foreigners in the Philippines.

Sounds to me a new forum post on this topic is a good idea

I have said the same thing myself quiet often over the last few years and I think James on here has also said something similar.

Edited by SomeRandomGuy
  • Like 1
passingby

I have not noticed a backlash against foreigners but then again I do not go out that much.  IF everyone who is a "Foreigner" would stop dishing out all the money to the family of wife, gf or significant others - then see what the back lash would be - would be fun.  As for out of stock - I feel a lot of the time it is just the clerk is too lazy to go look for it.  And in the cases where I have actually found the item I was looking for and returned to the same clerk to show them all I get is a stupid grin or one even told me again out of stock.  But then you pay the low wages that are paid to clerks and the pressure  they are under to manage their sections I guess you will NOT get people who will actually work to help you - except in a few places and I find ACE in SM seems to do a good job.  Another point is that a lot of us - me included - are too lazy to learn the local language because english is so common even with the beging kids at fuente.  Different in Thailand where I did learn to speak Thai 20+ years ago so they cannot pull the I Do NOt unerstand on me there.  But at 70+ guess I will not learn another language.

Skywalker

There's a certain cable that you use, so you can hear the broadcast TV programs through the home theatre system.

That was a long fecking afternoon.

• Like 1
thebob

It is no good asking for things by name. 2 of the examples above "audio cables" and "coolant" will be almost unintelligible to the  assistant.

First you need to break the ice, "You look very busy today" is a good start, especially if they are standing about doing nothing. Then try to hint about what you are looking for. "My DVD doesn't play loud, I've got an amplifier but no way to join it up". You then might have to talk about DVD's for a while and let the information sink in. Then mention that "The back of my amp has a red hole and a black hole, the same as my DVD, but I haven't got any cables to join them." You can then talk about he mysteries of the back of appliances for a while. Then you say that a shop like this would be good if it had some way of joining DVD's and amplifiers together. By now you have established what you want, and explained the problem in a few different ways so some dark distant memory might begin to stir. You are about ready to drop the bombshell that you want to buy some "audio cables", but you have to cover a few bases first. Explain that some people you have heard call them "patch cables" some people call them "RCA cables" but there might be some other names for them. "I've seen them before on a card with a clear cover hanging on a hook before", might be a good throwaway. Then hit them with the tenuous "Do you have any audio cables in stock?" If you get the "Sorry sir, out of stock." continue your conversation with other "non-threatening" suggestions about what you want. Persistence usually wins, and eventually you will have bored the assistant into submission. 

All of the above should be done in a slow, and thoughtful way. Several minutes silence between utterances is common. Just chill and imagine you are dealing with someone who has the most tedious job in the universe, and you won't go too far wrong.

• Like 2

It is no good asking for things by name. 2 of the examples above "audio cables" and "coolant" will be almost unintelligible to the  assistant.

First you need to break the ice, "You look very busy today" is a good start, especially if they are standing about doing nothing. Then try to hint about what you are looking for. "My DVD doesn't play loud, I've got an amplifier but no way to join it up". You then might have to talk about DVD's for a while and let the information sink in. Then mention that "The back of my amp has a red hole and a black hole, the same as my DVD, but I haven't got any cables to join them." You can then talk about he mysteries of the back of appliances for a while. Then you say that a shop like this would be good if it had some way of joining DVD's and amplifiers together. By now you have established what you want, and explained the problem in a few different ways so some dark distant memory might begin to stir. You are about ready to drop the bombshell that you want to buy some "audio cables", but you have to cover a few bases first. Explain that some people you have heard call them "patch cables" some people call them "RCA cables" but there might be some other names for them. "I've seen them before on a card with a clear cover hanging on a hook before", might be a good throwaway. Then hit them with the tenuous "Do you have any audio cables in stock?" If you get the "Sorry sir, out of stock." continue your conversation with other "non-threatening" suggestions about what you want. Persistence usually wins, and eventually you will have bored the assistant into submission. 

All of the above should be done in a slow, and thoughtful way. Several minutes silence between utterances is common. Just chill and imagine you are dealing with someone who has the most tedious job in the universe, and you won't go too far wrong.

I think I need a chair..

• Like 2

and a coffee   he he

• Like 1

Breaking the ice works. I sat in Cherry Mobile service center for around 3 hours with "my number". Some guy walked up to the counter without a number and was refused. Second time at the counter they actually served him. He went back four times in all. Nobody batted an eyelid.

• Like 2