Sign in to follow this  
mrlondon

Ready Rice available?

mrlondon

Can ready rice be bought in the supermarket stores in Cebu?
What's the price? Do they sell brown basmati rice in this format? 

It's great because it's steamed and vacuum sealed, so it lasts months in the cupboard, and can be stir-fried in a minute, or microwaved. Does it exist under any brand name there? It's 95p (67pesos) in England for the supermarket brand. 

0005480008545_500X500.jpg

CebuKano

Rice is sold in almost every market here. Supermarket prices are generally higher than the regular town markets. As for the "fancy" rice, sometimes it's available at the import stores such as S&R and the like. The price of rice here varies greatly depending on the quality and type you desire. If you visit a major rice dealer at a large market such as Mandaue, Cebu, the choices are nearly endless :)

Edit: As for the ready-made rice, we tend to stay away from it because some of it tends to be older than I am. At least that's been my experience.

Same with dried beans, by the way.

Edited by Motörhead

thebob

Can ready rice be bought in the supermarket stores in Cebu? What's the price? Do they sell brown basmati rice in this format? 

Lots of pinoy think that electric rice cookers are not to be trusted, and insist that rice is cooked in a pot. Selling microwave rice here would be like trying to sell Budweiser in a Real Ale pub.

For the cost of one of those packets you can buy about 2 kilos of loose rice. I'd guess that there are places that sell something like that in the city, but I wouldn't know exactly.

miles-high

You can find the "microwavable" rice in Japanese grocery stores (one in Banilad, 2 around MEPZ in Mactan) or in Korean grocery stores (some SM stores carry them as well)…

Although I don’t eat rice or bread (on diet last 20 years or so ;)), I bought a 3-pack rice recently. PHP250 so it’s PHP83 each with the expiration date of July 2014.

I am told a kilo of rice is about PHP40 and 1 kilo of cooked rice can serve about 10 people… But an electronic "microprocessor-controlled" rice cooker sells about PHP32,000 at Rustan's so I have not cooked rice here in the Philippines yet... :D

Raven

You can find the "microwavable" rice in Japanese grocery stores (one in Banilad, 2 around MEPZ in Mactan) or in Korean grocery stores (some SM stores carry them as well)…

Although I don’t eat rice or bread (on diet last 20 years or so ;)), I bought a 3-pack rice recently. PHP250 so it’s PHP83 each with the expiration date of July 2014.

I am told a kilo of rice is about PHP40 and 1 kilo of cooked rice can serve about 10 people… But an electronic "microprocessor-controlled" rice cooker sells about PHP32,000 at Rustan's so I have not cooked rice here in the Philippines yet... :D

Thats a joke, right?

miles-high

Thats a joke, right?

Someone told me that... I don't really know... :) Why?

miles-high

Hmmm, if you cook 1 kilo of rice, it probably weigh more after cooking, because it will contain more water?

Raven

Even 1 kilo before cooking, will only be enough if the 10 people don't like rice. ;) I noticed you wrote people, not pinoys. I eat a lot of rice, but not even close to what pinoys can eat

spydoo

What rice cooker costs ₱32,000? I though Zojirushi are supposed to be the best but I haven't heard of them costing that much. You can get Zojirushi through Amazon for less than $200 then get it shipped...

miles-high

What rice cooker costs ₱32,000? I though Zojirushi are supposed to be the best but I haven't heard of them costing that much. You can get Zojirushi through Amazon for less than $200 then get it shipped...

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NP-NVC10-Induction-Pressure-1-0-Liter/dp/B009QYC60S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386823588&sr=8-1&keywords=NP-NVC10%2F18

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NP-SS10-BP-5-5-Cup-Pressure-Cooker/dp/B005FT3H6U/ref=pd_sbs_k_8

Priced PHP32,000 at Rustan's last time I checked (4, 5 months ago, Jul or Aug when my GF bought one)... :)

Edited by miles-high

Monsoon

We lease our rice cooker for 3k a month. It does dishes and laundry as well.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

KennyF

Mine's voice operated.

I just say clearly "Maridel, cook some rice" and that's that, simple.

And it's self cleaning too.

KonC

• Like 4

spydoo
CebuKano

Wow, some rice cooker.

Indeed :D last one we bought was on sale for 400 I think. But it's just a simple cooker. Our family of five (with 4 Pinoys) eats about 1 and 1/2 kilos per day on average and I seldom eat rice at home.

• Like 1

mrlondon

Mine's voice operated.

I just say clearly "Maridel, cook some rice" and that's that, simple.

And it's self cleaning too.

KonC

Ahaha. Nice one guys!   ;)

Edited by mrlondon