Sign in to follow this  
Wolfpack

Blocks of Mozzarella Cheese

Wolfpack

I have been running into several places now selling some quality blocks of Mozzarella cheese...

what is the shelf life of it, once you open it...I like a lot of cheese on my pizza...but not an entire block of cheese at one shot...

shadow

I have been running into several places now selling some quality blocks of Mozzarella cheese...

what is the shelf life of it, once you open it...I like a lot of cheese on my pizza...but not an entire block of cheese at one shot...

It'll keep almost indefinitely (it'll age more) so long as you keep it cold and sealed tightly in plastic wrap etc. Keep it from drying out is the task at hand. If it molds, peel the mold off, the cheese underneath is still good.

• Like 1

Wolfpack

It'll keep almost indefinitely (it'll age more) so long as you keep it cold and sealed tightly in plastic wrap etc. Keep it from drying out is the task at hand. If it molds, peel the mold off, the cheese underneath is still good.

would you freeze it? to add shelf life?

BossHog

I buy the 2.5 kilo blocks of mozzarella, slice them into 10 pieces, wrap them in foil and store in the freezer.

No problems.

• Like 2

shadow

would you freeze it? to add shelf life?

Some cheeses will dry out with freezing, best to freeze a small amount first and see how it fairs. Mozzarella is usually pretty forgiving, and one of the easiest cheeses to make.

Monsoon

Used to freeze pre-portioned bags of cheese in my pizzeria. No problems. They do dry a bit but will dry even less if you don't pre-shred as we did. But we turned over enough cheese for it not to be an issue. 

• Like 1

spooks

Mozarella does not over dry as it is very oily

In the old days when i had spooks we used to get 10K blocks and cut them into 200gram sections for each pizza these would then be placed in a plastic bag the air drawn out and sealed, they last indefinitley.

• Like 1

BossHog
Mozzarella is usually pretty forgiving, and one of the easiest cheeses to make.

Might give the mozzarella making a try.

Can you buy the rennet tablets and citric acid in Cebu? Would they be available out in the provinces?

The yield seems to be something less than a kilo per gallon of milk.

More cheese from a higher fat content obviously.

What's the boxed Nestle Fresh Milk? 2%?

(edit: apparently the UHT (Ultra High Temperature) milk isn't good for cheesemaking.

I'd be interested in doing this for a cheaper product but see no real savings unless you have your own milk supply but I suppose the quality is better.

I go through about 40 kilos of mozzarella a month

Also, not sure that homemade mozzarella would have the desired texture for a pizzeria where most folks want the very stringy type cheese.

Am pretty happy now paying 900 pesos per 2.5 kilo block of Iowa mozzarella (delivered price to the island) but...

would be fun to give the homemade a try.

Edited by BossHog

Wolfpack

Am pretty happy now paying 900 pesos per 2.5 kilo block of Iowa mozzarella (delivered price to the island) but...

I am not sure the exact size of the block...but the cost was roughly 1000 pesos a block for Iowa mozzarella...

spooks

there are some carabao mozarella makers not sure how to find them

Wolfpack

I go through about 40 kilos of mozzarella a month

are you making your own sauce?

BossHog

post-5791-0-96574700-1386747752_thumb.jpg

Made from vine ripened New Jersey tomatoes

I use this when I can keep it in stock. Makes for a super heavy BB box.

We grow oregano, thyme, and basil and make sauce too but can't get really good tomatoes to grow here.

cheesemiz

where in cebu can i get mozzarella?

Jawny

I buy the 2.5 kilo blocks of mozzarella, slice them into 10 pieces, wrap them in foil and store in the freezer.

No problems.

I do the same, though just use plastic bags. There is no loss of quality when I eventually use it for pizza. I strongly advise against the pre-shredded mozzarella. Pretty much every time I bought it the crap got moldy in a day or so.

I so the same with a variety of other more flavorful cheeses like cheddar. I've done this for years and always been satisfied with the shelf life and quality later. I'm sure some gourmands would disagree, but for me, grilled cheese sandwiches and pizzas will tolerate a lot.

Wolfpack

where in cebu can i get mozzarella?

Shop Wise and S & R Memebership Shopping are 2 places I have seen mozzarella cheese this week...