Attempted scam? Keep your phone to yourself...

I once met a guy in a Manila mall who approached me in a not too creepy way, and asked if I would like to go shooting, for 50 pesos. Real guns he said, at a real range. I had nothing to do that afternoon, so I agreed to just let him show me the place. I could always walk off it got dodgy, and he seemed okay. Anway, a 10 minute walk ensued, and finally we got to a shooting range. He said not to worry, the police station is near by. I went in the shop, and it turns out I couldn't do any shooting for less than 1k pesos (but way more for the gun I wanted to try). Turns out it was 50 pesos PER ROUND (bullet). I politely declined and walked out. But the guy who brought me there from the mall, started to get angry cos I had "wasted his time". He asked for 100 pesos by way of compensation (totally over the top for a 10 minute walk and introduction). To exit the situation with minimum drama, I handed him a 50 note.

So there you go, there's my scam story/ lost in translation event. I wonder how many other posters would have the humility to share theirs (if they have one).

Certainly if you walk around a Filipino city, as a white man alone, with spare time, and a curious twinkle in your eye... there is potention for weird things occur. One must be careful.  Staying in the country a while reduces this risk, and you begin to learn why Filipinos don't easily trust strangers.  It's not only foreigners who get caught in scams, in fact in Manila, new folk from the province are targetted all the time. I have 2 filipino friends who were victims of the fake money bundle scam.

Edited by mrlondon
  • Like 1
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrlondon

• miles-high

• smokey

• lamoe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With all due respect, Sir, we are talking about PHP5 or US10 cents…   If they are keeping you good company, why not give them PHP50 each? Haha

u buy them lunch, but can't give them 5 peso's..   you know, even if you have principles, sometimes u need to look beyond things... they gave you company , you had fun..give them a few peso's !!!!

What it really boils down to is some people don't mind relationships based solely on money, while others can see that if the girls are willing to steal from them on the first meeting maybe they are no

u buy them lunch, but can't give them 5 peso's..

you know, even if you have principles, sometimes u need to look beyond things... they gave you company , you had fun..give them a few peso's !!!!

u don't want to get scammed, then don't go and pick up girls in the mall.. its a game..just go along with it..its all good

• Like 7

u buy them lunch, but can't give them 5 peso's..

Yeah, I am a right bastard it seems!

I'm not really into giving money to girls that I don't know.

A drink, yes. Food, yes. A fun night out, sure. Transport, if needed. Money, no.

I will not be an ATM, but okay, maybe i need to adjust just a wee little bit.

Seriously, what would you have done?

Given the girl a p5 coin and told her to run and buy load for it?

(Assuming you're not on the same network..)

and some people born with looks as good as mine are quite happy with that arrangement :)

Final someone else who's willing to admit their greatest appeal is the size of their wallet.

A drink, yes. Food, yes. A fun night out, sure. Transport, if needed. Money, no.

The question is was her company worth 5 P to you?

Did you miss her company when she'd left?

jtmwatchbiz

Final someone else who's willing to admit their greatest appeal is the size of their wallet.

with the size of my budget my appeal sure ain't the greatest 

• Like 2
Nangulo

Basically I got talking to 2 girls in a mall. They were clearly poor, but one was cute, and I'm single. So, as I was going to have some food anyway, I invited them both to join me. I though, let's see what happens. We had a sharing platter and basically, a good time was had by all.

One girl said she needed to let her parents know where she is, and asked for p5 of load so she could send a message. Me, being my usual kuripot self, said sorry, I'm not handing out load, nor money.

Not reading anything into the OP.  And not assuming it was a Smart cellphone.

He offered to feed them, then one of them needed to tell her parents where she was?????

How long does it take to eat?  If she needed to tell her parents where she was, why did she not have her own load?  Why was she at the mall if she had to report in after being 15-30 minutes overdue???  And why a 5 peso load when Smart lets you pasalod 2 pesos????  After all, it was a one-way comm.

I've been there, done that - give an inch and get asked for a kilometer, then a mile, then a furlong, then a .....

I"d have done the same thing as the OP, as written and without reading anything else into the situation.  I offer a meal (the inch) and she wants extra (the mile) and I say, "Go get it yourself.  Not my problem/responsibility."

• Like 4
miles-high

He offered to feed them, then one of them needed to tell her parents where she was?????

Let us ask the OP whether or not he would have given her a PHP5 load if she had agreed to go to his hotel room and needed to tell her mother she would be late coming home... :)

I would just tell her "yes, I will send you later"

Since pulling out my (ok, slightly old) smartphone isn't something I like to do in new company... but then I am very forgetful and chances are, I'd leave it on the table when I go to the CR... hence I prefer it stays in my pocket :D 

Not reading anything into the OP.  And not assuming it was a Smart cellphone.

How long does it take to eat?

Exactly. These girls will suddenly apparently urgently need to send a text to auntie or mother within 10 minutes of meeting you, it's quite the co-incidence !

• 3 months later...
bushwacker

Hmmm .... I would have given her the 5 pesos.  Too small to even tire my brain over.  Now, 10 pesos .... that is a different story!

• Like 1
I <3 Cebu

I'd do a factory reset just to be sure

Edited by I <3 Cebu

one of the reasons they like to use your phone to text someone ( often themself, or their friend ) .. or get you to pass them load is, they then have your number, and will text u, and pester you with load requests, plus all those nauseous daily greetings :(

• Like 1
Cebudog

one of the reasons they like to use your phone to text someone ( often themself, or their friend ) .. or get you to pass them load is, they then have your number, and will text u, and pester you with load requests, plus all those nauseous daily greetings :(

Yea, who needs pretty young girls pestering you.

• Like 2
agent17

You're lucky to get your phone back.  A common scam in Manila is this.  Someone in the mall approaches you and asked you to borrow your phone because of an emergency.  Once you hand over your phone, They will talk for a long time or until your load runs out.  They will pretend to be embarassed and tell you he'll buy a load for you.  They'll run with your phone and never come back.  There are many variation of this, but the ending is always the same.  This is so common that there are a lot of crooks make a living simply by doing this scam in the mall.  They make 20 or 30 attempts a day.  There's always at least one who falls for it.

With two operating, one will distract while the other slowly walk away with your phone.

Don't think just because they're within your sight, they can't run away with your phone.  Once they have your phone, it's over.

Edited by agent17