Sign in to follow this  
Sven

Attempted scam? Keep your phone to yourself...

Sven

Yesterday someone tried to properly scam me, I think. If only for a few pesos.

I haven't had many problems so far in this country, as I like to think I am aware of what's going on, but this one caught me off guard yesterday.

Basically I got talking to 2 girls in a mall. They were clearly poor, but one was cute, and I'm single. So, as I was going to have some food anyway, I invited them both to join me. I though, let's see what happens. We had a sharing platter and basically, a good time was had by all.

One girl said she needed to let her parents know where she is, and asked for p5 of load so she could send a message. Me, being my usual kuripot self, said sorry, I'm not handing out load, nor money.

I thought I would be kind yet smart. So I offered her to send one - 1 - message from my phone instead. I gave her my phone for a minute.

Bad move! As she was spending quite a bit of time with her message, I got an uneasy feeling about the situation. Eventually, I walked over to look at what she was writing. It was an innocent-looking message, but...

The number she had typed in was not a normal Filipino one. It looked more like a special transaction of 20-30 digits.

So I took the phone back before she could finish the job. The girl got upset and left without finishing her food.

Thinking back, it was probably stupid to hand her my (expensive) phone, for a whole number of reasons.

But what was she trying to do?

And what is a nice yet secure way if dealing with similar situations?

Unfortunately I did not save the number nor text that she prepared. My load balance is still intact though.

Mang Kanor

you should have screen shot the message she was typing so we know whats the content on it. hehe

Ronin

On the smart system you text "xxxxxxxx 200" to 888 to pass a 200p load to xxxxxx (xxx is the phone number to pass to).

Globe has a similar mechanism.

• Like 2

shadow

On the smart system you text "xxxxxxxx 200" to 888

Actually I think it is 808, but your point still applies.

miles-high

One of the reasons I carry "pre-paid" to limit the damage... ;)

• Like 1

miles-high

Actually I think it is 808, but your point still applies.

Yes, 808... but max you can send is limited... I think it's 160... in any case, I think sending 20 is enough to buy UNLI for a day... :)

• Like 1

samatm

you wern't scammed.   she just figured that since you handed her your phone..you meant that she could pass herself load.  Some things are lost in translation.   

• Like 3

smidsy

Yea, sounds like a load steal - its happened to me once or twice.

miles-high

Basically I got talking to 2 girls in a mall. They were clearly poor, but one was cute, and I'm single. So, as I was going to have some food anyway, I invited them both to join me. I though, let's see what happens. We had a sharing platter and basically, a good time was had by all. One girl said she needed to let her parents know where she is, and asked for p5 of load so she could send a message. Me, being my usual kuripot self, said sorry, I'm not handing out load, nor money.

With all due respect, Sir, we are talking about PHP5 or US10 cents…

If they are keeping you good company, why not give them PHP50 each? Haha :D

• Like 9

Monsoon

Or 500 for extra really good company.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

shadow

With all due respect, Sir, we are talking about PHP5 or US10 cents…

What it really boils down to is some people don't mind relationships based solely on money, while others can see that if the girls are willing to steal from them on the first meeting maybe they are not the type of girl they are looking for to spend their time with.

• Like 6

jtmwatchbiz

What it really boils down to is some people don't mind relationships based solely on money

and some people born with looks as good as mine are quite happy with that arrangement :)

• Like 6

roaddog

You lucky to have phone or load.

smokey

What it really boils down to is some people don't mind relationships based solely on money, while others can see that if the girls are willing to steal from them on the first meeting maybe they are not the type of girl they are looking for to spend their time with.

well come on the girl had to check in with mom so maybe she is still growing 

• Like 2

mrlondon

Of course it's very easy reading this and looking back, to make a judgement.

The good news is, no harm was done, and Sven learnt from this (seeing as the moral of the story was written in his topic title) ;)

Edited by mrlondon