What to do (or not do) when confronted by a drunk Filipino/a

MoonDragon81

Just remember: believe nothing you hear and half of what you see. Especially in the Philippines

I second that motion, learn to chill dude. Play them don't get play.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SomeRandomGuy

• tambok

• tokyoman

• RogerDuMond

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

happens to me quite a bit and there are many jealous people here both local and foreign. what i do is simply trump whatever gossip stories i'm being told with my own. kinda takes the wind outa their s

That's the problem with drinking alone. You need a wingman.

That does not read at all like a story of a drunk filipina. It is a story of a drunk foreigner..! Seems like it could have gone equally wrong had the lady been sober and just a bit manipulating.

Problem is though if u keep walking away biting the tongue u are eventually going to have a blow up.

U will either explode or implode.

Your health is important and so is your mental well being. I reckon that is why so many guys blow the hell up here as they are so used to swallowing their tongues that one day they have swallowed to much and it all comes.

In my experience both parties loose in a fight.  Possibly I may come out on top, but at what cost?  Unless I am physically threatened, I will not fight, nor argue.  There is nothing, let me repeat NOTHING to be gained by getting involved in a dispute that may spiral out of control into a physical altercation.   We are not in high school anymore.   Ego driven altercations are infantile, especially in the RP where the slightest offense, intended or not, might set a filipino off on a murderous course.  Self righteous indignation is a poor excuse to lose your life or to cause you to take a life in your own defense.    

Some people consider themselves tough and up to the game; backing away is not an option.  I don't care how tough you are, but you are nothing up against a bullet.  Maybe you are skilled in the martial arts, and maybe you can disarm an assailant with a knife.  Hurrah! you may have won the battle but will most certainly lose the war when the other party (or his cousin, brother, etc) gets his hands on a gun.  This is the real world, not some action film where the good guy wins.  People here will kill you for next to no excuse.  I don't say this to disparage the filipino culture.  I have lived in other latin and afro latin cultures where it is pretty much the same.  Fortunately,  I was older when I started to travel, because if I had traveled to these places in my youth, I would not be alive today.

As far all of that pent up anger goes, work it off in a more constructive way: go bang (as in feck) your beautiful wife or gf.  I am sure she would benefit greatly from that excess of energy.  She certainly is not going to benefit from having to arrange your funeral or minister to you in a hospital.

• Like 4
SomeRandomGuy
As far all of that pent up anger goes, work it off in a more constructive way: go bang (as in feck) your beautiful wife or gf. I am sure she would benefit greatly from that excess of energy. She certainly is not going to benefit from having to arrange your funeral or minister to you in a hospital.

me personally i go and work that anger off in the gym and I do not go out drinking so as not to deal with local drunks.

But I am not talking about myself as one with anger issues.

I do not get angry at people, I always am cool calm and level headed. Its one of the scarier things about me lol

I take that back as an edit

I did knock out some local in J ave a few years ago but this was back when i did drink and he was warned twice not to push me.

I am not in a habit of warning anyone but this is his country and I am a visitor but still he pushed me and i said ok ill let u have that one, please do not do it again. He pushed me again with his chest this time and I said dude do not do that again.

HE did it again so i king hit him then two bouncers came and grabbed me and told me not to come back as he was some hardcore gangster or something.

I went back the next night  nothing happen.

Mind u i hit him the bloody hard I imagine he might have a problem remembering much of anything from the last week.

I would never do that now as I am older and bigger and could seriously hurt someone now.

But u know how it is, sometimes u just got to man up

Edited by SomeRandomGuy

If into the tiff put him down and get out of Dodge. Friends and family on the way then you going down Hard

InternetTough

I always keep in mind "The foreigner is always wrong" that is the basis of the justice system here. Discretion is the better part of valor here, walking away while biting the tongue is the best option. 

In Korea I used to figure that if I was 90% right and the Korean was 10% right, the judge would say we both were half right...and if we both were half right, the judge would nail me with 90% of the blame. I  managed to avoid judges for more than a decade there. 

I hope they don't have a "100% of the time the foreigner is wrong" system here.

Maybe the only sure way to win when the odds are stacked against one in court is to get killed, and then there will be only one living person around to blame. Then maybe one can win.* If court wins are possible here for foreigners, they will be in murder cases, I think.

(But I did know some foreign English teachers in Korea that managed to successfully sue their hogwon owners for unpaid wages---to be fair to Korea.)

*and RIP

Edited by InternetTough

I would have said to her "just hold on a minute I can see my wife coming" she would have been away like a shot!

I would have called my wife to the bar and watched the fur fly :)

JamesMusslewhite

Me, I just avoid being with or around drunks..

• Like 7
jtmwatchbiz

I would never do that now as I am older and bigger and could seriously hurt someone now. But u know how it is, sometimes u just got to man up

you are my random hero but i'm ready to throw down with you anytime big man, and i'll make crocodile dundee look like a poodle shaver. nowadays i do like james said and simply avoid drunks and places they hang out. i was pretty much banned from sunflower and pump back in the day but all my scuffles were with foreigners as i was instructed years ago by my inlaws to avoid hassles with locals and let the crew handle it. however, even in our biz with the places and people we encounter it seems the local fellas are quite easy to get along with. a smile and joke always go a long way to keep things civil. 

• Like 2
SomeRandomGuy

you are my random hero but i'm ready to throw down with you anytime big man

These days I am a lot more relaxed.

I have learned that no matter what u do to these people the will remain dicks long after the scuffle is over.

The dude I was talking about was actually hassling a lady friend of a mate of mine, and was being really friggin rude about it. I am terrible when it comes to defending a womans honor ( i guess all that inbreeding).

Some guys weather they are locals or not just have no respect for other people.

These days I do not drink nor do I hang out anywhere near drunks. I try to keep things in a closed off circle with  no drams or no dickheads.

ha u are having a tough day... is that the time?

These days I do not drink nor do I hang out anywhere near drunks.

You know, I find I am the same way these days. My first experience in some time, in being around drunks, has been on the farm - twice. Both times, they were visiting neighbors who had - quite obviously, drank a bit too much "rice wine". Both were loud, obnoxious, and I just simply did not want to be around them. 

One was a while back. But, the other visitor was the day before yesterday, when we were at the farm. He showed up, picked up one of the family members, as though to give him a hug, and one of the dogs bit him. Good dog. :D Needless to say, he calmed down, physically. Although, he was still loud and obnoxious for some time after. Either way, I went out of my way to avoid being around the guy. I have no time for that sort of mess any longer.  

• Like 1
RogerDuMond

He showed up, picked up one of the family members, as though to give him a hug, and one of the dogs bit him. Good dog.

I have a drunk repellent. I walk all over the rural area here every day. I great everybody and most respond, but no one moves too close. Not sure why, but maybe it has something to do with my companion. My one year old bullmastiff pup walks with me. She is small for her breed, but still twice the weight of the largest dogs around here. She doesn't bark, even at other dogs who bark at her. It is just her size and the bullmastiff black mask that intimidates people.

• Like 5
  • 4 weeks later...

I have Semitic facial features and at night I look like an Indian ( to Filipinos). During the day, I am a Kano, but at night, I become a "Bombay" ( to them).

Once, in a dark street in Lahug,  a drunk Filipino told me that he was working for the Immigration and asked me if he could see my visa. I asked him to see his immigration ID. He showed me an ID and it was government issued one but by the Department of Agriculture. I told him he was not an immigration officer.

His friend, who was also drunk, asked me if I was Russian mafioso or cousin of Bin Ladin. I am neither an Arab nor a Russian. Anyway, he kept getting angrier and angrier, then he hit me in the forehead and then, again. Luckily, he was small and his fist was that of a child's size. The owner of the sari sari store nearby ran out and constrained him, and I went to call the guard.

When I turned around, he got on his motorcycle and rode away like a bat out of hell.

With people like these working for the government, this country has at least a century before it could catch up with the rest of the world.

The moral; when a drunk talks to you, just leave the place. People here are illogical when they are sober, imagine how they would be when drunk.

The good thing about Luzon vs. Visayas is that on Luzon, the people are much more privacy oriented and , even when drunk, they are quiet and will not impose upon a stranger. They are not as friendly as Cebuanos, but they are far more polite and civil.

• Like 2

The unceremonious, semi curious and semi-hostile and very provincial village-like approach to strangers/foreigners, petty jealousy, gossipping and unreasonable wrath are the characteristics of hicktown people anywhere on earth. Rednecks in the US are like that, peasants in E. Europe are like that, except that there is more violence and less friendliness overall with the latter two.

This is one of the main reasons that after many years in Cebu, I moved to Angeles City/Manila. People are totally different there. They are far more urbane, much less interested in your daily affairs and possess more civility. They exhibit far less hick-like behavior unless fresh from the province. After being a "celebrity" in Cebu , you become a nobody in the concrete jungle of Manila or among busy and blaze looking Kapampangans. Tagalogs are also quiet and gallant and I admire them for that. They are not gonna barge in on a couple as people do in Cebu and start asking when the marriage is. They just mind their own business.

Yeah, they are cold, but they are also respectful of your personal life and very tolerant.

Kapampangas of Angeles City, famous for their regal mannerism and arrogance, are also quite stand-offish and indifferent-- very much Oriental- like. They look and act like Japanese or Koreans with a colonial Spanish twist. And one thing they don't have is inferiority complex. Hence, no jealousy. Except what other Filipino ethnic groups feel for them.

They were almost on par with Spaniards for hundreds of years and were allowed to have almost the same rights. They had land and servants. Their kingdom was very developed with its own navy.

When you live in Pampanga or Tarlac, they could not care less what you do and who you are with. They do approve very much of any foreigner who shows up with a Kapampangan girlfriend, though.  ( a non bar girl, of course-- and there are very few Kapampangans who are bar girls) and/ or tries to integrate, although getting one is not easy. And being accepted by them is a long project-- it takes a couple of years but once you are in, you are in.

I dated some Kapampangan girls and was impressed with good manners as well as Oriental features, very white-yellowish skin and exotic slanty eyes. In fact I got so used to that type that the Polynesian-like culture of Cebu did not excite me as much. As you get older, you want privacy and civility- you don't want what often happens in Cebu- some weird, ill mannered people getting loud and mad at you for no reason and talking nonsense.

I am a very warm, Mediterranean/Latin stype person but even I got tired of the boorish people that I would run into Cebu every once in a while with their nosy questions, getting angry over triviality and just their overall small town pettiness.

Sorry for being blunt.

Those who get tired of all the above should try Pampanga.

• Like 4
  • 2 months later...
bushwacker

Hmm ... you guys are taking the shine out of my pic of the RP.  Good to know but a bit sad that it really is this way.  Maybe I need to rethink my options.