Sign in to follow this  
spritsail

What to do (or not do) when confronted by a drunk Filipino/a

spritsail

After a few years running a bar, I thought I had the handle on handling a filippino drunk, humour them a bit, calm them and slowly show them the door. However, an incident a day ago caught me completely unawares.  

I was sitting at my usual drinking hole watching the ships come and go, having coffee with a measure of rum unawares that I was becoming a wee bit intoxicated. A  filipinna women, slightly the worse for drink sat beside me, professing she know me, and she was a cousin to my wife. i tried with humor to extricate myself but to no success. The conversation was basically about my wife cheating on me financially, and knowlng that my wife is more than generous to her family i was getting more and more heated under the collar.

Eventually it was touching upon raw nerves, and my temper began to let loose, I was calling all filippinas braggarts, thieves, all foreigners stupid as...les etc. Eventually, there was quite a crowd gathered to witness the spectacle, even the police were hovering a short distance away nonplussed. At last I got away, shaken and my blood pressure near bursting. i managed to sit in a cool place to calm down.

I later confronted my wife with the story, but she said that she was no relation and I was being wound up.

I have had to avoid my regular drinking hole as I embarassed the waitress and was even told to calm my temper by my local sari sari store owner.

Moral of this story.

Never get into an argument with a drunk filippino/a if you are also drinking.

Take it all with a pinch of salt and try to move places 

Never, ever lose your temper, curse and throw things.

• Like 4

CardiacKid

I always keep in mind "The foreigner is always wrong" that is the basis of the justice system here. Discretion is the better part of valor here, walking away while biting the tongue is the best option. 

• Like 4

SomeRandomGuy

Problem is though if u keep walking away biting the tongue u are eventually going to have a blow up.

U will either explode or implode.

Your health is important and so is your mental well being. I reckon that is why so many guys blow the hell up here as they are so used to swallowing their tongues that one day they have swallowed to much and it all comes.

• Like 3

SkyMan

I hope you didn't believe her over your wife. That would be a bad sign.

• Like 3

cheesemiz

Its a daily thing here mostly just jealousy . 

• Like 3

Durham

I would have said to her "just hold on a minute I can see my wife coming" she would have been away like a shot!

• Like 3

easy44

What to do? Get up and leave at the earliest opportunity. Unless you are enjoying yourself it will likely end badly.

• Like 2

goldote

When tallking to a crazy talking taxi I tell him I changed my mind.

Ask him to please let me off at the next store.

Many drivers seem to be on something.

samatm

ouch....      

Glad Op  accepts he made an Ass of himself...thats the first step in improving.   Now he should  just  go back to his regular spot.    Be nice, and apologize  as a gentleman for the ruckus .. and go slow on the tonic. 

Edited by Paul
removed deleted quoted text.
  • Like 2

Paul

Some members were forgetting this was an upstairs thread. 

Others attacking the OP.

Let's stay on topic, or holidays are ahead. 

tomaw

I would have said to her "just hold on a minute I can see my wife coming" she would have been away like a shot!

...... LOL!!! Best advice yet!

Monsoon

Just remember: believe nothing you hear and half of what you see. Especially in the Philippines.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• Like 2