Sign in to follow this  
veenjac

diamonds...who can check them out..fake or real?

veenjac

being a newbe here in Cebu I don't know who I can trust to check out these loose stones i have. i was thinking the fellow who deals in high end watches with diamonds on the watch faces. i have 5 cut stones each i think about 1.5 to 2.0 in size. what confuses me are they are all the same size to the naked eye.
the two tests i tried was the breath test and they did not fog up and the turn upside down and read small newpaper print...the print was visiable but blurred and all over the place as the stones are multi cut...is the word i'm looking for called facets?
thank you

throttleplate

take the stone and see if it will cut into a beer bottle

• Like 1

Monsoon

being a newbe here in Cebu I don't know who I can trust to check out these loose stones i have. i was thinking the fellow who deals in high end watches with diamonds on the watch faces. i have 5 cut stones each i think about 1.5 to 2.0 in size. what confuses me are they are all the same size to the naked eye.

the two tests i tried was the breath test and they did not fog up and the turn upside down and read small newpaper print...the print was visiable but blurred and all over the place as the stones are multi cut...is the word i'm looking for called facets?

thank you

Forget for a moment about determining the authenticity of diamonds and ask yourself why you are being offered diamonds for sale - I suppose at a good price? 

The Philippines isn't a black hole where someone who would have proper diamonds couldn't find a buyer. If you don't know how to discern gem stones, I wouldn't put myself into the overnight position of diamond buyer. Kind of like those people who have never been in business come here and  pour a big chunk of their nest egg into opening up a restobar but have never been in the food and beverage industry. 

Just a thought.

Sorry I can't help you on diamond identification other than the first thought I had was one of those diamond testers which someone already pointed out to you. You can also find a jeweler and ask him to appraise them for you. If you are in metro manila I can tell you a jeweler that is reputable for diamonds/gold type things and does a lot of work for wealthy Filipinos. 

• Like 1

jtmwatchbiz

The Philippines isn't a black hole where someone who would have proper diamonds couldn't find a buyer. If you don't know how to discern gem stones, I wouldn't put myself into the overnight position of diamond buyer.

wise words. if someone is offering you pre-owned diamonds, jewelry, precious metals and watches or anything else beware. if you are not actively in the business and known for dealing with this stuff, then when someone offers it to you ask yourself  "how did they meet or find me" and if the answer is not clear then ask them "why me?". as monsoon mentioned, this city is not a black hole and there are gem, precious metal, jewelry and watch buyers/dealers aplenty, and all one needs to do is chat with a few local businesses to get referred to one of the many local deep-pocket buyers. no local people owning good stuff are so clueless they need to seek out strangers to buy their valuable items. either their stuff is way overpriced or it's a scam.         

unless the seller happens to be a neighbor, relative or friend that hit hard times, you can generally assume anyone that singles you out as a potential buyer are part of a very organized network of con artists. in general they are two groups: gem, coin & watch crews from manila and the precious metals crews from mindanao. the manila crews are the most sophisticated and get their goods from state of the art suppliers in HK. they have known how to defeat the electronic diamond testers for almost 3 years now and some mid-range brands of watches are so hard to detect as copies you need to completely disassemble them to be sure. diamonds and gems are best ignored but if you really can't resist and know the seller, then PM me and i will put you in touch with our crew member who can quickly verify them. don't expect to march into a pawn shop or jewelry dealer in a mall in cebu city and get much help with gems and they are especially afraid of authenticating loose gems. they know the out of town crews and don't want to step on any toes.

now, still think you have found some good deal and are satisfied the items are legit? of course go for it. we do it all the time but it is our business and we didn't just start doing this last week. however one final warning...just watch out for the oldest trick in the book: the switch. keep your eyes on the ball at all times.         

• Like 2

veenjac

we just moved into this house. when going thru the trash left inside there was a small toy that required batteries. I liked the toy and popped the battery cover off to see if it had batteries. in the compartment were 5 stones. thats all I want say about that. if they turn out to be real what are they worth? good deal price for everyone to be happy. general value range is fine with me. they look to be 1.5 carets each. they seem to be on fire they just look great indoors or outside in the natural light.

• Like 2

jtmwatchbiz

we just moved into this house. when going thru the trash left inside there was a small toy that required batteries. I liked the toy and popped the battery cover off to see if it had batteries. in the compartment were 5 stones. thats all I want say about that. if they turn out to be real what are they worth? good deal price for everyone to be happy. general value range is fine with me. they look to be 1.5 carets each. they seem to be on fire they just look great indoors or outside in the natural light.

sounds like you may have found either some diamonds or at the worst case some imitations but for free it's fine :)

if you want to get them quickly checked just click on my watch buying banner and send me an email or text, and i will hook you up with a member of our crew that will gladly let you know.

Scottiev

we just moved into this house. when going thru the trash left inside there was a small toy that required batteries. I liked the toy and popped the battery cover off to see if it had batteries. in the compartment were 5 stones.

Ummm those were lithium crystals and Captain Kirk would like them back....the transporter is on battery power at the moment..

• Like 1

Monsoon

Reminds me of having to 'clean out' my grandmother's house. Gold coins wrapped in tin foil in the freezer,  envelopes of money duct taped to ceiling tiles in the basement, even the mattresses needed to be cut open. Sounds like someone missed that stash spot. 

• Like 1

jtmwatchbiz

Sounds like someone missed that stash spot.

if that ice turns out to be the real deal,  i know what i would be doing if i was the OP. man oh man i would comb thru that place and everything in and out of it so thoroughly it would make Dr. Henry Lee proud :)

• Like 1

veenjac

we got brave and called a cab and went into town. my gf has a friend that is a diamond expert(?) she seemed sharp and pulled out all sorts of tools for measurement, weight and other stuff. all stones are real to her diamond education and very high end stones. they are all half carat each. not the 1.5 like I thought. for some reason she would not write anything down or even give us a value. don't understand this country yet. I was hoping for a good down on a pickup truck...haha.

thanks everyone.

• Like 1

jtmwatchbiz

all stones are real to her diamond education and very high end stones.

mazel tov as in my book you hit a home run! shit...with my luck if i found a 5 peso coin i'd think i hit the jackpot!  

now, keep updating us on your progress with the ground penetrating radar in the back yard :)

• Like 2

Monsoon

Well seeing as how overpriced diamonds are in this country, one would think you'd do well selling them here. 

• Like 1

veenjac

just like I thought...she said they are .5 round cut diamonds. I get online and pull up a ACTUAL SIZE round cut chart so you can put your diamond on the chart and know what size you have. (diamond size not penis size)turns out the .50 is really .75 so at least in this case...size matters.

samatm

Probably wouldnt be so hard to track down the previous residents and simply ask them if they worth anything? 

• Like 1